• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Corvette hurt NC sales?

I wait for grandsport type model....patience is a virtue

Found a link to the following video of the C8 mule testing over in FerrarChat of all places..

Very impressive handling for a car with a MSRP close to $60K, would be curious to know the specs of each of the mules that were been tested.

If they were both $150k, I would buy neither. Personally I was expecting to be supremely disappointed with a horrible MSRP on the Corvette. When the CEO said "under $60,000" I was shook.

If they were both $70k, at this point, I would probably opt for the NSX, just to be different. There will be thousands and thousands of these Corvettes. However, if the NSX was better priced, there would be many, many more NSXs on the road too.

Regarding cross shopping vs the old NSX, hell yeah I cross shopped. I don't know about you, but most car guys I know tend to look at everything. Unless of course they're just a Mustang guy or a Porsche guy, etc. Over the past ~12mos I have considered everything from a new 911 GT3 to a Ferrari 599 to a shitty C4 corvette or 1st gen Viper just to tool around in. Am I actively comparing the C8 vs the old NSX now? Well... no. I put my deposit down on the C8. :tongue:

Do an Autotrader search for new 2019 Corvettes within 500 miles of Macon GA and it finds 1,261 of them. If those really are in stock at dealerships, and the radius covered being only a portion of the country, it appears there are a helluva lotta new Vettes still sitting at dealers. I would've thought the news of the C8 would've dropped the prices of those 2019s, like tremendously, yet there are about 40-45 2019s priced at $100K+ up to about $155K! And there must be 125 or more that are $90K+

What's up with this? Are there really enough Vette buyers out there ready to buy a new, obsolete Vette at those kinds of >C8 prices? Or are dealers ready to take big bucks off them?

Last edited:
Do an Autotrader search for new 2019 Corvettes within 500 miles of Macon GA and it finds 1,261 of them. If those really are in stock at dealerships, and the radius covered being only a portion of the country, it appears there are a helluva lotta new Vettes still sitting at dealers. I would've thought the news of the C8 would've dropped the prices of those 2019s, like tremendously, yet there are about 40-45 2019s priced at $100K+ up to about $155K! And there must be 125 or more that are $90K+

What's up with this? Are there really enough Vette buyers out there ready to buy a new, obsolete Vette at those kinds of >C8 prices? Or are dealers ready to take big bucks off them?

Couldn't do the search on autotrader, but did a search on cars.com, the results that you are referring to are ZR1's and Z06, neither of those Corvette grades are currently been offered in the C8.

The C8 is been offered in base and Z51 grades.

I guess obsolete is in the eye of the beholder, there are die hard Front Engine Rear Wheel drive folks, and there are die hard Manual Transmission folks.

Last edited:
Couldn't do the search on autotrader, but did a search on cars.com, the results that you are referring to are ZR1's and Z06,

Yes, that's right.

neither of those Corvette grades are currently been offered in the C8.

Yes, I still would've thought that even the base and Z51 C8s with its mid engine would've greatly devalued all 2019 Vettes pretty much instantly. Maybe the C8 won't have the impact I'm thinking.

The C8 is been offered in base and Z51 grades.

Right, 10-4.

I guess obsolete is in the eye of the beholder,

Yes, for sure.

there are die hard Front Engine Rear Wheel drive folks,

Well that's true.

and there are die hard Manual Transmission folks.

... and that.

So I guess Chevy will time the release of the C8 Z06 and ZR1 somewhat with the sell-off of the 2019s, or maybe drag it out a little longer in order to sell a bunch of base and Z51 C8s ... ?

Well GM is getting a head start on clearing out national inventory of the outgoing 2019 Corvettes by doing that employee pricing thing on all models, including the ZR1. Just last week, people were paying full MSRP to get ZR1s. Manual transmission models have been selling fast now that we all know for sure that it’ll be the last time it’s ever offered. Now you can get like 10 grand off a ZR1. Wouldn’t have expected that incentive till a little closer to start of production of the C8.

Well GM is getting a head start on clearing out national inventory of the outgoing 2019 Corvettes by doing that employee pricing thing on all models, including the ZR1. Just last week, people were paying full MSRP to get ZR1s. Manual transmission models have been selling fast now that we all know for sure that it’ll be the last time it’s ever offered. Now you can get like 10 grand off a ZR1. Wouldn’t have expected that incentive till a little closer to start of production of the C8.

That might not be a bad investment toy..last of the FR and manual transmission, not to mention an asskicking car....If I had the room and some FU money, I'd get one.

Saw the ceramic grey C8 in Fresno w/top off doing pop-ins at dealerships.... damnnnnn... looks so much better than the pics and has totally scrambled my brain on how I think and feel about vetts.... I don’t even know what to say....
I was thinking of either the Evora400 or gen2 nsx but I’m in a weird place right now....
the $80k for Lotus or $140k ish (after discounts) for NSX is not sitting right with me anymore.... I’m just speechless right now and have a strange surreal feeling... Am I in the Twilight zone? What just happened....???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw the ceramic grey C8 in Fresno w/top off doing pop-ins at dealerships.... damnnnnn... looks so much better than the pics and has totally scrambled my brain on how I think and feel about vetts.... I don’t even know what to say....
I was thinking of either the Evora400 or gen2 nsx but I’m in a weird place right now....
the $80k for Lotus or $140k ish (after discounts) for NSX is not sitting right with me anymore.... I’m just speechless right now and have a strange surreal feeling... Am I in the Twilight zone? What just happened....???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are not the only one having this strange sensation, I am in the same boat and I think thousand of us are feeling the same way too. :biggrin:

" you think you know what affordable mid engine sport scars are about, to you they are just words in reality it is much more"....says the very strong guy with no eyes...

You are not the only one having this strange sensation, I am in the same boat and I think thousand of us are feeling the same way too. :biggrin:

Yes we are now living in a world where we can have a 500 HP mid engine NA V8 roaring behind our heads. Made in the USA. For under 100k.

MC

Well, I sold my beloved 1992 yesterday and I blame the C8:mad:

I'm one of the biggest NSX fan boys on here having owned three of them since 2003, but there is no denying the C8 just changed everything.... I think almost all sports car markets are going to be effected in some way by the leverage of the C8
I still may end up in something different, R8, 981 Cayman? Another NSX? But I know I will have a C8 at some point.

Well, I sold my beloved 1992 yesterday and I blame the C8:mad:

I'm one of the biggest NSX fan boys on here having owned three of them since 2003, but there is no denying the C8 just changed everything.... I think almost all sports car markets are going to be effected in some way by the leverage of the C8
I still may end up in something different, R8, 981 Cayman? Another NSX? But I know I will have a C8 at some point.

Kudos to you for having the stones to sell it. I immediately regretted selling mine and was considering getting back into one and as much as I loved the car the price point didn't make sense. Now that I've seen the C8 I don't think I will be in the market anymore. '

I do think you're right though I think a lot of sports cars will be affected by the release of this car.

MC

Been chipping away bit by bit and came down to the following build:

2LT: $67,295
FE4: MSRC $1,895
Z51: $5000
Q8Q: Carbon Flash Open Spoke Wheels: $995
ZYC: Carbon Flash Metallic painted outside mirrors: $100
AE4: Competition Bucket Seats: $1995
3F9: Red Seat Belts: $395
5zz: High Wing Spoiler: $1150

Total: $78,825

How refreshing to see reasonably priced options...i ve been playing in the porsche sandbox and tired of paying ridiculous money for options. I will also own a c8 one day, now will they come out with a manual?!

in this boat as well. never in a million years did i expect to find myself watching corvette videos online and checking out the configurator. gm killed it with this car.

Back