• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Corvette hurt NC sales?

the press looooved the first nsx...... upon introduction of NC1 the initial reviews were lukewarm....
The press reception was mixed then and now. People panned the NSX compared to its rivals in short order. They referred to the platform as aging, over priced, and short on power by the year 2000.

car and driver referred to the new NSX as a Ferrari you can daily drive in it’s 2019 review.

As someone who was buying cars then and now in the NSX’s price range both times people said it wasn’t enough car for the money and both times it didn’t sell well. I’d imagine we see a similar resale curve like what the viper is experiencing. Maybe not as severe an up swing but definitely a hard floor around 70-80k

read the articles from 1990-93

In my research for an NSX Driver article, I looked at the domestic and intl articles reviewing the first few years of the NA1 NSX and the vast majority of them were effusive in their praise. Its initial shine turned dim around 1995 though as competitors seemed to catch up in quality, design, performance, and fit and finish. It still seemed to compare well though.

read the articles from 1990-93
If first impressions were important to resale vipers would have trash resale and corvettes would have amazing resale..... point stands by the end of the NSXs sales period the world largely derided it and yet here it is. Probably because reviews don’t determine resale what so ever. Scarcity and desire ability do. At this moment there are 2 JDM race cars available. The GTR and NSX, that’s it and both are decently scarce and have relatively famous pedigree.

In my research for an NSX Driver article, I looked at the domestic and intl articles reviewing the first few years of the NA1 NSX and the vast majority of them were effusive in their praise. Its initial shine turned dim around 1995 though as competitors seemed to catch up in quality, design, performance, and fit and finish. It still seemed to compare well though.
Check any review comparing it to a c5 or c5z.

its so hard for me to take all this 1st gen praise seriously when if that really was the case (great car great price etc) they would have sold much better than they did. That’s simply a hard fact that the NSX didn’t sell well especially after Chevy caught up. But that’s largely irrelevant to resale like I said above. Selling more than gen 2 doesn’t mean it sold well. Neither have sold well.

I'm just hanging around trying to patiently wait till the NC1 "hard floor" gets here.

I tend to agree with Gattiman that it might be around the 70-80K mark for a clean title example.

What says the Prime brain trust? 18-24 months???

Check any review comparing it to a c5 or c5z.

its so hard for me to take all this 1st gen praise seriously when if that really was the case (great car great price etc) they would have sold much better than they did. That’s simply a hard fact that the NSX didn’t sell well especially after Chevy caught up. But that’s largely irrelevant to resale like I said above. Selling more than gen 2 doesn’t mean it sold well. Neither have sold well.

I studied 40 (at last count) magazine articles and the only one I read that compared the NSX with the c5 was by Motor Trend in the July 1999 issue. Each performed 0-100-0, respectively, at 15.5 and 16.3 seconds, with the NSX besting the c5 in every performance category. If you'd like to submit another magazine review countering those figures that I haven't gotten to yet, you're more than welcome. I'd be happy to learn something new.

The positive perspective of the Acura/Honda NSX by the motoring press is well documented and most can be read online. You could probably learn something new too. ;)

Last edited:
If first impressions were important to resale vipers would have trash resale and corvettes would have amazing resale..... point stands by the end of the NSXs sales period the world largely derided it and yet here it is. Probably because reviews don’t determine resale what so ever. Scarcity and desire ability do. At this moment there are 2 JDM race cars available. The GTR and NSX, that’s it and both are decently scarce and have relatively famous pedigree.

you are having an internal discussion with your viper and corvette reference...Pony and I are just responding to your broad brush stroke that the press was ambivalent about Na1 ...but they heaped the praises....up until there was no significant evolution...and as time went on the stagnation of the model became its downfall.....but now it is entering the collectible market...

I don’t think many people are “ lusting” after a second gen NSX.
MC

Well, I’d say that all of us NC1 owners did lust after it, and based on how many people turn heads to look at the car, how many thumbs ups I get, and how many comments I get on how beautiful the car is, I’d say there is definitely a lust factor for the NSX. There’s also a Instagram post that someone did a few weeks ago (there’s a post on the Corvette forum as well for it) where the poster had a picture of the C8 and NSX parked next to each other. The caption simply stated “left or right”, meaning which car do you like better. Almost every response on the Instagram page was for the NSX, and many of the comments were along the lines of “dream car”.

The price tag of the NSX definitely makes the car less attainable than a C8, but you can’t really tie lust factor to price. I lust after many cars that I don’t want to spend the money on. I’m sure we’d all love to have a Bugatti Chiron parked in our garages. The price tag doesn’t change the lust factor. The price tag affects the attainability and the sales factor.

you are having an internal discussion with your viper and corvette reference...Pony and I are just responding to your broad brush stroke that the press was ambivalent about Na1 ...but they heaped the praises....up until there was no significant evolution...and as time went on the stagnation of the model became its downfall.....but now it is entering the collectible market...

This ...

The NA1 was universally praised and went stagnant after 15 years. The NC1 received lukewarm reception with an occasional good review despite the fact that it’s a good car. Love mine but when I goes back I won’t miss it as much as my ‘96.

MC

Well, I’d say that all of us NC1 owners did lust after it, and based on how many people turn heads to look at the car, how many thumbs ups I get, and how many comments I get on how beautiful the car is, I’d say there is definitely a lust factor for the NSX. There’s also a Instagram post that someone did a few weeks ago (there’s a post on the Corvette forum as well for it) where the poster had a picture of the C8 and NSX parked next to each other. The caption simply stated “left or right”, meaning which car do you like better. Almost every response on the Instagram page was for the NSX, and many of the comments were along the lines of “dream car”.The price tag of the NSX definitely makes the car less attainable than a C8, but you can’t really tie lust factor to price. I lust after many cars that I don’t want to spend the money on. I’m sure we’d all love to have a Bugatti Chiron parked in our garages. The price tag doesn’t change the lust factor. The price tag affects the attainability and the sales factor.
Yes, right on!

I'm just hanging around trying to patiently wait till the NC1 "hard floor" gets here.

I tend to agree with Gattiman that it might be around the 70-80K mark for a clean title example.

I think 90k will be the floor for this car for awhile

MC

lets hope acura does not do another "mike drop" with NC1 like they did with NA1/2:mad:....like waitin for van Halen with diamond Dave....:frown:

Last edited:

Same, I've bought enough new cars to want to avoid significant depreciation. I think the floor will be around 85-90 or so. The current thinking is the floor will be hit later this year or next as a bunch of cars come off lease.

Last edited:
Well, I’d say that all of us NC1 owners did lust after it, and based on how many people turn heads to look at the car, how many thumbs ups I get, and how many comments I get on how beautiful the car is, I’d say there is definitely a lust factor for the NSX. There’s also a Instagram post that someone did a few weeks ago (there’s a post on the Corvette forum as well for it) where the poster had a picture of the C8 and NSX parked next to each other. The caption simply stated “left or right”, meaning which car do you like better. Almost every response on the Instagram page was for the NSX, and many of the comments were along the lines of “dream car”.

The price tag of the NSX definitely makes the car less attainable than a C8, but you can’t really tie lust factor to price. I lust after many cars that I don’t want to spend the money on. I’m sure we’d all love to have a Bugatti Chiron parked in our garages. The price tag doesn’t change the lust factor. The price tag affects the attainability and the sales factor.
I think the perception that people don’t lust after the NSX is rooted in the fact that people don’t even know it exists. I’ve never even seen one to this day and I am on the road a lot for my DM job. AFAIK there hasn’t been one for sale in my area in over a year. Special order only. By comparison I see Mclarens Ferrari’s lambos even Ariel atoms and bentleys more.

I think the perception that people don’t lust after the NSX is rooted in the fact that people don’t even know it exists. I’ve never even seen one to this day and I am on the road a lot for my DM job. AFAIK there hasn’t been one for sale in my area in over a year. Special order only. By comparison I see Mclarens Ferrari’s lambos even Ariel atoms and bentleys more.
You are funny. You indicated in another post that you recently drove 3 hours to an Acura Dealer to purchase a used NSX. I would say there is lust in your heart, given you have not ever seen one in person. Trust me if you can get your hands on one you will be a happy camper. I personally don't care for the look of McLaren or Lambo. I like some of the Ferraris but have no interest in becoming an owner. I like the Porsche Turbo S, and was browsing for one until I came across the NSX. It was no contest in my mind. However, having said that cars talk to us in different ways. So I hope you find something that clicks just right.

You are funny. You indicated in another post that you recently drove 3 hours to an Acura Dealer to purchase a used NSX. I would say there is lust in your heart, given you have not ever seen one in person. Trust me if you can get your hands on one you will be a happy camper. I personally don't care for the look of McLaren or Lambo. I like some of the Ferraris but have no interest in becoming an owner. I like the Porsche Turbo S, and was browsing for one until I came across the NSX. It was no contest in my mind. However, having said that cars talk to us in different ways. So I hope you find something that clicks just right.
Oh I’m a Huuuge car guy. I have a deposit on a c8Z as well. I lusted after the old NSX, this one, and plenty of other cars.

Honestly if I had seen one on the road it wouldn’t have taken me 3 years to go see one in person I’d already be driving one. That’s the honest to god hard truth. Pictures don’t do the car justice, my wife said the same thing.

I sold my 2001 in mid 2016. As part of the sales process I took my car in to my locale Aura dealership in Ventura. TheSanta barbara Acura said they did not have someone to do a pre sale examination. At the dealership I was told they wood be getting one of the new NSXs. Given I had just sold my car of 14 years I was not in the market for a new car. We had just purchased a new house and did not want a mortgage. So a new car at the price of the NSX was not in the cards. I did come back and saw the new car in the showroom. It was topped off and relatively dark. It was nice but there was no emotion. Fast forward to late 2019 and we are ready to turn in our Chevy Bolt lease in Jan 2020. We looked for a replacement but could not find a car that would work. We initially wanted a all electric car to go with our Volvo Xc 90 Plugin. Nothing was working. My wife did not like the Tesla X or S and I did not like the model 3. I liked the Audi Etron but she did not. Our best Friend Tino suggested the NSX Hybrid. My wife heard Electric and said why not. I was surprised that she would consider another sports car. I asked her if she was kidding and she said no. So the next day I started to look for a car. I found the car at Ilusso Exotic cars. The NSX was the least expensive car in their inventory. The Novello Blue looked great. So I drove 150 miles to see the car. Tino meet with me and we reviewed the car. It was like an arrow through my heart. I knew nothing about options on the car. The car had the window sticker so I copied everything and headed home. I told my wife it was the car I wanted. I made another trip and then decided to have the car checked out by a dealer. That went well and I transferred the money into my account and handed them a cashiers check and took the car home. When my wife saw it she said it was the best color she had seen on a car. My plan is to drive this car as much as possible. It is my last sports car.

Back