• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New OEM six disc changer from ebay.

I heard that the Alpine CD changer plugs right in.

True?

I know the older Alpine CHM-S620 plugs straight into the OEM harness and works. This model does NOT play MP3's. Newer versions of the Alpine with CHA (Ai-NET) as the model require adapters. These play MP3's. Some have physically switched the pins so they did not need to use the adapters. Lots of threads on this topic. Here's are two FAQ links:

Adapter Install
Acura CD Changer Pinout

Nik

Did you get the MP3 compatible changer?

Naw, I just got the 96-03 model. Plays burned CD's just fine. I drove around last night & found that it was quite skippy. I think my suspension has something to do with it though, and since I plan on softening the ride in the near future, I'm not too worried. If it still skips then, I might have to place it behind the passenger seat like OneRedNSX...

How long did it take? I ordered one last Sunday and it still isn't here? (Friday) It was supposed to be sent Priority on Tuesday.

I believe I ordered mine on the 19th(Monday), and it got here yesterday. I'd contact Michael to find out what's going on. He always responded to his emails pretty quickly...

Levi

Last edited:
Naw, I just got the 96-03 model. Plays burned CD's just fine. I drove around last night & found that it was quite skippy...

Huh, I hope that I didn't mislead you then. Mine hasn't skipped at all. Maybe because the roads where I live don't have many irregularities in them. Well, besides for the other drivers on the road. :wink: Is your's mounted with the OEM cradle?

You may want to try an alternate brand of CDR. I have bought some before that worked fine in the OEM changer. Then, I bought one of the sunday specials and they would either skip, play only in the lower #'ed tracks but not the higher, or not play at all.

Switched to the popular name brands (maxell, sony) and they worked fine again. I remember as the CDR technology rolled out there was a lot of talk about the 'layers of coating' on the tinted side of the CDR having to do with the quality and price differences.

Thanks Bilulan, my wife said the same thing. Plus the one I tried was pretty old & a bit scratched. So I'll try to pop in a newer CD & see what happens...

Levi

You may want to try an alternate brand of CDR. I have bought some before that worked fine in the OEM changer. Then, I bought one of the sunday specials and they would either skip, play only in the lower #'ed tracks but not the higher, or not play at all.

Switched to the popular name brands (maxell, sony) and they worked fine again. I remember as the CDR technology rolled out there was a lot of talk about the 'layers of coating' on the tinted side of the CDR having to do with the quality and price differences.

How long did it take? I ordered one last Sunday and it still isn't here? (Friday) It was supposed to be sent Priority on Tuesday.

Michael emailed back that he's in Redford Michigan. Since I'm in Thousand Oaks California, that explains the delay. He seems very responsive. Hopefully I'll have the $399 MP3 player by Monday and let everyone know how it works.

Reading this thread reminds me how much I hate listening to the radio. When I purchased my '91 NSX it did not have the optional CD changer. I want to keep my NSX as original as possible and I think using this CD changer is the best option.

Since my NSX did not come with a CD changer, where can I purchase the OEM CD changer wiring harness and CD changer bracket? I have been told you can no longer order these parts from Acura.

Any help would be appreciated :)

...Since my NSX did not come with a CD changer, where can I purchase the OEM CD changer wiring harness and CD changer bracket? I have been told you can no longer order these parts from Acura.

Any help would be appreciated :)

The wiring harness is already in the car. All you do is pull it out from behind the carpet in the trunk. The mounting bracket should still be available through dealers if you special order it I believe. Otherwise you need to check the FS forum for one.

The wiring harness is already in the car. All you do is pull it out from behind the carpet in the trunk. The mounting bracket should still be available through dealers if you special order it I believe. Otherwise you need to check the FS forum for one.

I have been told by several NSX owners / techs, '91 NSX are not pre-wired for a CD changer. I have looked for a harness in the trunk but did not locate one. However, I could have been looking in the wrong location. :redface:

Thank you for your response to my question and starting this thread.

Does anyone know for sure if the '91 NSX came pre-wired for the CD Changer? :confused:

The ends of a car pitch more when going over bumps
than a point in between the wheels does. The trunk
location for a CD changer is less than optimal.

I had some skipping when driving over the cattle guards in
my neighborhood (with a stock suspension), but switching
to taller tires (with smaller wheels) helped.

Michael emailed back that he's in Redford Michigan. Since I'm in Thousand Oaks California, that explains the delay. He seems very responsive. Hopefully I'll have the $399 MP3 player by Monday and let everyone know how it works.

Still no changer and no response from Michael since Friday. He relisted on ebay but I'm beginning to think I may have been ripped off.

With my 05 the mp3 player works great. If you rip CDs to 192kbps they sound evry bit as good as the original CDs themselves. I ordered one of the newer CD changers from the guy mentioned above because I want a backup for my OEM unit should I need it in the future. I want to keep the car original. It's been ten days and I still didn't get the unit. Michael did email me the following:

I went down there today Redford USPS, the postal inspector said to give it 10 days, then I will file a claim.

It was insured for $500 so I am not at all worried.

I will refund your money on Friday if you still not have the package as I don't have any more units 04'-up until next shipment 5-10 days.

I'll keep this thread informed to the outcome, whatever that may be.

I'm missing something. Why pay $399 for an Acura player
when it's a rebadged Alpine unit, and a functionally
equivalent Alpine CHA-S634 and a few adapter cables
can be had for under $300?

I paid $399 because I want to keep the car completely original. If the Alpine unit plays MP3s I'd consider using it and putting the OEM unit away. Which Alpine is it and does it play MP3s?
Thanks

I'm missing something. Why pay $399 for an Acura player
when it's a rebadged Alpine unit, and a functionally
equivalent Alpine CHA-S634 and a few adapter cables
can be had for under $300?

I tried this route few months ago when my oem crapped out. It wouldnt read any cd's. I couldnt find one of the two adaptor cables anywhere. So I opened up my oem and cleaned the laser lens and now it works better than before :)

My unit from Michael still hasn't arrived, but we agreed to a refund if it isn't here tomorrow. I'd rather pay $400 for the stock unit than make modifications for the Alpine badged one. With the Alpine you have to tuck away a long cable. The OEM unit simply plugs in. The stock unit in my car (05) works great playing MP3s. If Michael ever comes though with the one I ordered, I'd recommend it to anyone with a 2003 or older NSX.

Back