• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner needs advice on 1500 mile trip

I'm not familiar with your VIN but you seemed to have answered your own question. If it seems to be in good shape and well maintained then I would not hesitate to drive it the 1500 miles home. I bought my 2001 and drove it 800 miles in May of 2010 and it needed to have the TB/WP done (it was overdue because of the age, not mileage). I asked for advise as well and was told it would 99.9% be fine as long as I did not track it. Is it your first NSX? Enjoy the ride. You'll have a great time.

As long as it has had a proper pre purchase inspection, there shouldn't be a problem.

You'll just be doing what the car was made to do. Enjoy!

every year people drive that much or more to get to nsxpo.....very few mechanical issues....you can never say never, sometimes main relays just quit, O2 sensors fizzle,ect.....but a properly maintained nsx should have no problems.Btw let us know how you like the seats and how many hours you do in the saddle each day.

only advice is to be sure you have flat bed towing coverage in case you catch a flat, mechanical issue, etc

Might be a good idea to identify Acura dealers, tire shops, and helpful Primers along your route, for worst case situations

otherwise, check fluids and enjoy the drive in your new car

-

You could blue mask tape it like a recent Primer did on his trip

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151257

or use road wrap per Rob's post #29 on same thread

only advice is to be sure you have flat bed towing coverage in case you catch a flat, mechanical issue, etc

Might be a good idea to identify Acura dealers, tire shops, and helpful Primers along your route, for worst case situations

otherwise, check fluids and enjoy the drive in your new car

-

You could blue mask tape it like a recent Primer did on his trip

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151257

or use road wrap per Rob's post #29 on same thread

Shoot! you beat me to it lol.

I drove my 2004 CTSC'd NSX home from Denver to Chicago and I would do it again.

Pm me if you need any help in Chicago, good luck!

I know you are only asking because you do not know the reliability and condition of this one specifically, but in the 70,000 I have personally had the pleasure of putting on my car, I have never once worried about driving my nsx.

Or just have the dealership clear bra it before you take it. I'm sure that high line dealer has a 3M guy, or either way there are a ton everywhere anyway, and then you can not go through any odd wrapping exercises. :biggrin:

I drove my 1998 CTSC when I bought it from KC Kansas to Fort Lauderdale, FL last year when I bought it.

Car ran great, only problem I had was a blown 19" tire that was no fun to replace in Tallahassee FL.

Other then that, what a great way to meet your new car...

Sam

I purchased a 1991 NSX in June and drove it from N. Carolina to Cleveland, OH then home to San Antonio, TX. Over 2,000 miles. I had a slave valve go out in Louisville, KY. The car wasn't driven much over the past couple years. But maintenence was up to date. Knowing where the Acura dealers are is good advice. In our case Oxmoor Acura in Louisville was great. Though we had to wait a few days for parts the dealer gave us a TL to drive while we were there and took care of a coolent hose recall. Plus they washed the car. So I would expect that other Acura dealers are similar. Also, a AAA membership is good peace of mind and well worth the money.
I also met a couple very nice of NSX owners. Other than the issue in Ky, I believe that it was the best road trip I've ever had. I did 767 miles in one day and only stopped for gas and food. The car is comfortable and a blast to drive. Not to bad on gas either. I got just over 25 mpg. So drive it home and have fun along the way.

Last edited:
If the car has been maintained there should be no issues.

By way of example, only LarryB works on my car and it is a '96 with 133,000+ miles on it.

A "typical" summer week involves commuting to work a total of approximately 250 miles, driving round trip 550 miles to Watkins Glen, doing 100 laps (350 miles) of Open Track driving at The Glen with Trackmasters, hose it off and then do it all again.

An NSX is just like shampoo - - - rinse, lather, repeat. (And, yes, all you wiseasses out there - I still need to shampoo those remaining three strands of hair on my head)

It's also been driven from NY to NSXPOs in Wisconsin, Texas, Ohio and Toronto with no issues.

Or just have the dealership clear bra it before you take it. I'm sure that high line dealer has a 3M guy, or either way there are a ton everywhere anyway, and then you can not go through any odd wrapping exercises. :biggrin:

Or you can buy a vinyl bra. Better than tape and cheaper than clear bra. I use mine on road trips all of the time. For more protection, get one that covers the headlights and the hood up to the top edge of the lights.

Last year I flew into Oakland, Calf. purchased 1998 NSX with 70k miles, drove 1800 miles home to K.C. 27mpg, cruse @95, pass @135. All the NSX asked me is 'do you want to go faster?'

Drove, Car & Drivers; AMERICA's lonilest highway US50 hwy.

JD

Purchase from Giot's 1-800-345-5789 surface protection film ,for the front.....

Last edited:
Not sure I get the question... :confused: :redface:
Why wouldn't you be able to drive 1500mls back, it is a car... it is intended to drive with it.
If you have any doubts if the car is up to a 1500mls drive, then don't buy it and find one that you do trust.:rolleyes::wink:

Not sure I get the question... :confused: :redface:
Why wouldn't you be able to drive 1500mls back, it is a car... it is intended to drive with it.
If you have any doubts if the car is up to a 1500mls drive, then don't buy it and find one that you do trust.:rolleyes::wink:

Is it not a valid question?

Definitely get the flat bed coverage. More importantly share your google route map and setup time to meet some primers on the way. It will be nice to meet and also have a safe back up to give any info.

1500 is nothing for nsx. I have done Austin to LA couple times with nothing ...was younger though!

Watch for the temp esp if you taking Denver route.

Is it not a valid question?

ofcourse it is a valid question.
However, I feel a lot of people seem to think of the NSX as an exotic car (with the related big chance of it breaking down :rolleyes::biggrin:).

The NSX (with the exception of some odd failures like main relay, igniter, ignition coils), should be just like any daily car as far as reliability is concerned.

If I were to buy one, I would drive it for the 1500mls return without a thought, as if I were in doubt if it could do it, I wouldn't buy it :rolleyes::redface::wink:

remember this is a Honda. and was built when honda took pride in their work.

just dont talk about the new civic LOL

now add a SC, or turbo then you messing with fire. Stock is fast enough for me.

The question is valid only if this is his first NSX. :biggrin: NSX owners, particular those with car savvy (or that have a 3rd. party PPI done), would not think twice about a 1,500 mile drive, except for rock chips and road hazards. However, you can get a bra to mitigate the rock chips. For peace of mind, do what the others have said as far as weather, route, logging a fight plan, and meeting up with owners along the way.

Have fun with NSX and the drive, you will never forget it. And, when you get back home, check out the SoCal post for the next meet and drive. We would love to see your new car.

Mario

Longest drive: LA to Sacramento to SF to SLO to LA. - 904 mi, 15 hours seat time.

Last edited:
My major concern was driving long distance with a super charger. Its not my first honda/acura but as to any new car you have to just be aware of the usual things that go bad on an older nsx like the coolant hoses or tb/wp. Especially buying a car before test driving it its a gamble you take , new cars off the lot break down and have failures all the time so why would the nsx be excluded.

My major concern was driving long distance with a super charger. Its not my first honda/acura but as to any new car you have to just be aware of the usual things that go bad on an older nsx like the coolant hoses or tb/wp. Especially buying a car before test driving it its a gamble you take , new cars off the lot break down and have failures all the time so why would the nsx be excluded.

I drove my SC'd car and it was a great experience. Surprisingly the car was able to do 400 miles out of a tank :).

Drove my last NSX from San Fran to PDX (800 miles) and my newest one from the OC to PDX (1100 miles). No issues at all. I had the owners change the oil right before I picked up the car though.

Back