• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

New R505 Chrome

I'll post pics this evening. (old rims are in the avatar <---) This post is due to some confusion on my part with the front tire and wheel fitment. I have 18x8 on the front. They put a 215/35/18 tire on, when I asked them for a 225/35/18. When I confronted them, they said the 225 wouldn't fit due to clearance issues. :confused:
Now, if a 215 will fit, would a 225 really have clearance issues? It just doesn't seem like it would make that much of a difference, since the rim is already that wide. Does anyone have 225/35/18's on the front?

Joe

Attachments

• newwheels275percent.jpg
    newwheels275percent.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 325
  • newwheels75percent.jpg
    newwheels75percent.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
jonas1jp said:
I'll post pics this evening. (old rims are in the avatar <---) This post is due to some confusion on my part with the front tire and wheel fitment. I have 18x8 on the front. They put a 215/35/18 tire on, when I asked them for a 225/35/18. When I confronted them, they said the 225 wouldn't fit due to clearance issues. :confused:
Now, if a 215 will fit, would a 225 really have clearance issues? It just doesn't seem like it would make that much of a difference, since the rim is already that wide. Does anyone have 225/35/18's on the front?

Joe

the 225 should fit better on the 8 in. wheel. however, with the nsx, you will probably have less rubbing with the 215/35

a 225/35 on the front of most NSXs rub. Not only is the tire wider, but its also a little taller too (taller because the sidewall is thicker). Thats because the height of the sidewall of the tire is related to the width divided by the profile number (225/35=6.42 vs. 215/35=6.14).

Hapa88 said:
Thats because the height of the sidewall of the tire is related to the width divided by the profile number (225/35=6.42 vs. 215/35=6.14).

I think that is incorrect. The formula should be 225mm x 35% = 78.75mm

They don't know what their talking about I have the 225/35/18's and their has never been any rubbing issues! It amazes me that the people that are supposed to be the experts don't always know what the hell their talking about!!!! :confused:

special k said:
They don't know what their talking about I have the 225/35/18's and their has never been any rubbing issues! It amazes me that the people that are supposed to be the experts don't always know what the hell their talking about!!!! :confused:
Well, we have to be careful here because we don't know all his front rim information like offset. A 225/35/18 front tire is a 50/50 on the NSX. Some will not rub at all and some will. Heck, even my 215/35/18 front tire rubbed a bit under full lock on my lowered NSX. I believe the offset is the key and without knowing what his front 18X8 offset is it is hard to say if the 225 would rub or not. I'm not saying a 225 will not work, just that it may or may not rub depending on certain conditions.

ChrisK said:
Well, we have to be careful here because we don't know all his front rim information like offset. A 225/35/18 front tire is a 50/50 on the NSX. Some will not rub at all and some will. Heck, even my 215/35/18 front tire rubbed a bit under full lock on my lowered NSX. I believe the offset is the key and without knowing what his front 18X8 offset is it is hard to say if the 225 would rub or not. I'm not saying a 225 will not work, just that it may or may not rub depending on certain conditions.

Well since I have the same wheels I can say with confidence that the 225 works great. :wink:

Generally speaking, you run a higher risk of rubbing with the 225. With the 215, you are pretty sure that there will be no rubbing.

But in this particular case, assuming the suspension is the same, SPECIAL K should be the one to speak with authority whether the 225 will create a rubbing situation. I think the shop was just playing it safe.

KingsCourt said:
Generally speaking, you run a higher risk of rubbing with the 225. With the 215, you are pretty sure that there will be no rubbing.

But in this particular case, assuming the suspension is the same, SPECIAL K should be the one to speak with authority whether the 225 will create a rubbing situation. I think the shop was just playing it safe.

Stock suspension WW side skirts and spats other than that brakes are OEM also. The shop should've put both on to let you see what the difference was.

Guess I'll have to wait until the next round of front tires............which will be a while. The 215's on the front, on this particular rim, just look too narrow. Oh well, I guess there's worse things to be upset about.

Joe

Tried to load them, my FREE software expired from my new computer. Haven't had a chance to................GET :wink: ........the software from.......someone. I'll post them ASAP. Thanks again for the input.

Joe

Last edited:
Here ya go Joe. A little help from a fellow red owner. BTW - sorry for the orange tint of the red paint in the pics.

Attachments

• WHealy-7-9-5-Wheel-1.jpg
    WHealy-7-9-5-Wheel-1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 778
  • WHealy-7-9-5-Wheel-2.JPG
    WHealy-7-9-5-Wheel-2.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 769
  • WHealy-7-9-5-Wheel-3.JPG
    WHealy-7-9-5-Wheel-3.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 759
Thanks Bill! Yeah, kinda odd how the paint looks. It was nice to get three of us together last night at the show. Maybe more of the Indy guys can start showing up in the future. Good luck on those seats. :biggrin:

Joe

racerex said:
do the r505 wheel need spacer,i have 95 red head#0180 thanks :confused:

You won't need one on the rear. However, the front will need the smallest spacer you can find. I opted for grinding down the caliper guard instead of putting a spacer on. I painted them after grinding. It's only the guard that gets in the way, not the caliper itself. I think the wheels are worth it. :biggrin: I'll post a better pic when I get time.

Sweet. Sold! I want a set now.

Just out of curiosity, what tire sizes did you use? (besides your fron 215) Rear? And what offset did they give you.

:smile:

As I've been shopping around the wheels i really like are only in 18/19 combos, which for performance reasons i didn't want to do, but.....it's better to look good than to feel good?
I would sleep better knowing the acutal loss I'll experience with 19x9.5 on the rear with 265/35...any input on this subject?

lhpnsx said:
As I've been shopping around the wheels i really like are only in 18/19 combos, which for performance reasons i didn't want to do, but.....it's better to look good than to feel good?
I would sleep better knowing the acutal loss I'll experience with 19x9.5 on the rear with 265/35...any input on this subject?

It has to do with the weight of the wheels. Not the size. However, you will lose comfort with the 19 due to the lower profile of tires and also have to watch out for potholes.

Actually, I have lost no comfort going from 18/17 to 19/18. Maybe I just don't notice it as much as everyone else.

I have the same 18/19 setup but with the 225/35/18 front tire. I have some rubbing on hard cornering and big bumps (the roads are bad in Montreal due to the cold winters) but I am also lowered to the point where I have no wheel gap. I see no reason that you couldn't go 225's next time.

Back