• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New TaylorMade RocketBallz Clubs

I've been holding out for years to replace my circa 1994 Titleist DCI Irons. I finally bit the bullet and went all new this year. After hitting nearly every club (Driver, Fairway Wood, Hybrid, and Iron) available for 2012, I settled on the TM. For those of you in the market, these clubs are amazing. I went from a consistent 290-300 off the tee, to 6 drives over 325 yesterday. Irons are deadly accurate for something as large as they are. I also custom ordered black Cleveland 588 wedges; a 56 and 60 degree. I named each of them - the 56 is etched on the back with "Noonan", and the 60 is etched with "Czervik". The Smails Billy Baroo putter is coming shortly. My passion for the game is alive and well - equal to that of the NSX (currently shopping for NSX #2). Curious to gauge the interest of other Primers in the game. Just thought I'd share.

Gunga Gulunga, my fair fellows.

Joe

325 off the tee. You should be on tour. You would near the top for driving distance. What is your handicap?

Last edited:
I suppose I should add that I hit several RBZ irons and woods at the Taylor made demo day a few weeks ago. The 3 and 5 wood really impressed me. I would believe that could add 10-15 yards compared to what I have now.

The driver IMO was not much better than my burner. Not worth spending the money on. The irons were no better than my burner irons.

I hit the RBZ driver better than the r11s. It went further and came off the face faster IMO.

I wanted to go to the demo day at world golf village where they bring out the launch monitors, but my tendinitis told me otherwise. Maybe next time.

My advice would be to look at the burner 2.o since you can now get them for $399.

According to the Taylor made rep, their drivers havent improved a lot over the last few years, but the RBZ 3 and 5 wood are much better than last years.

He also said they made a big breakthrough for next year. We'll see.

Well, I've been retro-purchasing, instead of getting the latest sticks. In the last year, I have picked up two sets of Ping Beryllium-Copper irons. A complete set of matching numbers Zings, 1 iron through lob wedge; and a set of BeCu Eye 2 irons, with a lob wedge that's never been hit. I love the look of the copper heads, and the feel of those clubs is much superior to the newer G2s I normally play. G2s are stupid-easy to hit, though, and since I don't get to practice as much as I'd like, there is comfort in using the newer sticks.

Just curious about your opinions....what is your favorite destination course; and name an underrated or unknown course you've played that you loved.

My destination course: Ballybunion, Old Course - Ireland
My underrated/unknown favorite: Arthur Hills Course, Boyne Highlands -Michigan

Note that the RBZ driver is 46" length, for those of you who care about such things....

I was also impressed by the RBZ and R11 3 woods. Unreal length!!

325 off the tee. You should be on tour. You would near the top for driving distance. What is your handicap?

Currently an 8, but I'm improving rapidly. Driving has always been my strong suit. Not sure why. I think I just worked with the driver more on the range simply because, well, it's bragging rights off the tee. 12 weeks into lessons now and many more to come. Damn I love this game!

Well, I've been retro-purchasing, instead of getting the latest sticks. In the last year, I have picked up two sets of Ping Beryllium-Copper irons. A complete set of matching numbers Zings, 1 iron through lob wedge; and a set of BeCu Eye 2 irons, with a lob wedge that's never been hit. I love the look of the copper heads, and the feel of those clubs is much superior to the newer G2s I normally play. G2s are stupid-easy to hit, though, and since I don't get to practice as much as I'd like, there is comfort in using the newer sticks.

Just curious about your opinions....what is your favorite destination course; and name an underrated or unknown course you've played that you loved.

I haven't played as many courses as I would have hoped, but the Peninsula in Gulf Shores, Alabama was picture perfect; quite a pleasure playing that course. I WILL play Augusta. As for my second wish for playing a course, it would have to be BUSHWOOD in it's original form, which will never happen. All is gone now. Siggggghhhhhhh.

Glad to hear this great review on them. I am still on my RAC. I may bite and get a set too. I won a RBZ 5 iron from TM and will get them mid April. Can't wait to try it!!!!

I'm a 2 Handicap and a dedicated golfer, play at least once a week.

I'll tell you the truth, yes the RBZ is good but it's all a gimmick their 3 woods are just a degree lower...in essence you hit it farther.

I know because I have several friends that get free Taylormade stuff from the headquarters in Carlsbad.

If you want a true feeling iron "what the Pro's play" look into Japanese clubs from Japan. Taylormade, Nike, and titleist all have Japanese versions of clubs and there are much more expensive....think "JDM or Mugen" for the NSX.

The reason for that is being the quality and material that goes into the heads from the forging.

My set up is: Miura CB201 Retro Irons, Nike VR forged Wedges, 56, 50, and a Bridgestone J40 445 Driver.

For you serious golfers, try the bridgestone driver!!! this is the money club right now..J40 445 model. It comes with a real shaft, not "diamana made for xxx company"..best playing driver ever with a true 15 yd gain. It is more for a lower handicap player.

I'm a 2 Handicap and a dedicated golfer, play at least once a week.

I'll tell you the truth, yes the RBZ is good but it's all a gimmick their 3 woods are just a degree lower...in essence you hit it farther.

I know because I have several friends that get free Taylormade stuff from the headquarters in Carlsbad.

If you want a true feeling iron "what the Pro's play" look into Japanese clubs from Japan. Taylormade, Nike, and titleist all have Japanese versions of clubs and there are much more expensive....think "JDM or Mugen" for the NSX.

The reason for that is being the quality and material that goes into the heads from the forging.

My set up is: Miura CB201 Retro Irons, Nike VR forged Wedges, 56, 50, and a Bridgestone J40 445 Driver.

For you serious golfers, try the bridgestone driver!!! this is the money club right now..J40 445 model. It comes with a real shaft, not "diamana made for xxx company"..best playing driver ever with a true 15 yd gain. It is more for a lower handicap player.

I toyed with going the Muira route, but with my handicap I thought that a more forgiving set would be appropriate. Maybe in a couple of years when my game is improved I can look into the more workable irons. I hope to be back to a lower handicap in the next year or so. Patience and practice.

I toyed with going the Muira route, but with my handicap I thought that a more forgiving set would be appropriate. Maybe in a couple of years when my game is improved I can look into the more workable irons. I hope to be back to a lower handicap in the next year or so. Patience and practice.

How long have you been playing? What was your lowest handicap?

If you want to get a good idea for irons, look at what most amateurs play in college and in the U.S. Amateur.

I think they favor titliest or mizuno, as for woods its all over the board.

PS, it also Masters week!

Don't eat, lick or grind on the BeCu clubs, that is some nasty alloy.

As for courses, im too much of a hack for a destination course, but the Old Works course outside Anaconda, Montana is an unknown favorite that kicked my butt,

Miner
Ps i play w/ TM Burners, the wife w/ Feel golf custom.

How long have you been playing? What was your lowest handicap?

I've played all my life. Never had lessons until 13 weeks ago. Back in college I was a solid 3 handicap. But, I left for a job in China in 2002 and played once that following year. The swing went away. As I started to get back into the game in 2009 I tore my shoulder in half and had to have it surgically repaired. My swing was toast after that. My drive went away, the accuracy was worse than ever, and I had to ice my shoulder after any round. So last year I went through kind of a second effort on my own to rehab the shoulder. So far it's been a great success. So that's why this year is the year for me. This is the year I get my Masters in golf. That's how I explain it to my wife anyhow. Played again last night. Finished 3 over on 9 due to two drives out of bounds. Still learning the distances of the clubs also. I figure a couple more months of 3-4 rounds a week, and I'll have my handicap down to a 4 or so. I'm hitting the ball better than ever. Fine tuning is all that's left. Still plan on lessons every week through June also. So in the words of Karl Spackler, "I got that goin for me".

I've played all my life. Never had lessons until 13 weeks ago. Back in college I was a solid 3 handicap. But, I left for a job in China in 2002 and played once that following year. The swing went away. As I started to get back into the game in 2009 I tore my shoulder in half and had to have it surgically repaired. My swing was toast after that. My drive went away, the accuracy was worse than ever, and I had to ice my shoulder after any round. So last year I went through kind of a second effort on my own to rehab the shoulder. So far it's been a great success. So that's why this year is the year for me. This is the year I get my Masters in golf. That's how I explain it to my wife anyhow. Played again last night. Finished 3 over on 9 due to two drives out of bounds. Still learning the distances of the clubs also. I figure a couple more months of 3-4 rounds a week, and I'll have my handicap down to a 4 or so. I'm hitting the ball better than ever. Fine tuning is all that's left. Still plan on lessons every week through June also. So in the words of Karl Spackler, "I got that goin for me".

Injuries really suck. Every time I get better, I get injured and have to stop working out and golfing. This tendinitis is killing me. I am not a great golfer. best score is 84 at my home course (saint johns Golf and County Club-- Q school is there).

I have to work on my short game to really get better, but I prefer pounding balls on the range too. :)

I miss playing golf just because of this thread. Makes me want to get up at 5AM and head to my course when it's cool and wet. Love the feeling. I use to drive 320 when I was 14. But it's been some years now. I could maybe get 290 if I tried hard enough. I was always a fan of Ping clubs but recently the last club I used was the R7 and man what a driver it is.

I'm playing 9 today, and 18 on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. BUT, I'm not trying to rub it in. :wink:

I live on a golf course and watch them tee off all day long... but I am stuck inside with a jacked up elbow. Its like hell on earth.:frown:

I'm playing 9 today, and 18 on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. BUT, I'm not trying to rub it in. :wink:

Your going to catch "some" of the Masters right?!

BTW, who are your picks this year?

1. Tiger
2. Rory
3. Phil M.
4. The field

I can't wait for the US Open, that's my fav.

Your going to catch "some" of the Masters right?!

BTW, who are your picks this year?

1. Tiger
2. Rory
3. Phil M.
4. The field

I can't wait for the US Open, that's my fav.

I'd have to say Rory given those choices, but Couples is surprising everyone right now. Who knows.

Maybe should have started a new thread with this, but the golf guys will be interested...Got my first Ace yesterday! Woo Hoo!!!

Locale: The Summit Country Club, Owensboro, KY
Hole: 12th Hole, Par-3, 194 yards
Club: Ping G2 9 Wood
Ball: Titleist Pro V1
Witnessed?: Yes!
Story: It was a very windy day, and after 11 holes, I felt lucky to be playing the ball with which I had started the round. It was a Titleist Pro V1 with a blue square logo on it, which had either been given to me or had been found during a previous round. It featured both cart path marks and tree bark scrapes from earlier in the day. The 194-yard par-three 12th hole is usually a tough par but an easy bogey. This day, with the wind blowing at 30mph left to right, anything could happen. Teed it up with the Titleist logo aimed at the pin, rehearsed a good swing path, settled over the ball, and took my swing. Never felt the club hit the ball, but it took off straight toward the target, and it never left the line. The cup was in the back of the green, hiding in a slight depression. As we approached, the ball was nowhere in sight, so I figured it had rolled through the green and was waiting in the grass behind. As I walked across the green, I could not see a ball anywhere near the expected area. Before starting an extended search, I peeked into the hole, and saw the blue square logo. Laughing out loud, I would not get near it, but let my playing partner pick it out for me. Since there was only one witness, I wanted no doubt about the result.

Back