• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New wheels and tires for my NSX

Hi All,

Need a little advice. I am going to buy some new wheels and tires for my car. I have had the stocks on long enough and want a new look. Here is what I want.

• Michelin Pilots (very important - so the wheels have to be able to take Michelins)
  • Super Shiny (doesn't have to be chrome, but no gun metal or black - SHINY :biggrin: )
  • 5 - 7 spoke
  • 17/18 or 18/19 or 18/18
  • Dishy (as deep as possible)
  • Perfect fit - no spacers - no rubbing (car is not lowered - although i wouldn't mind having the ability to lower 1/2 - 3/4 inch in the future)
  • Space for big brakes later
  • Budget up to $4,000 ??
  • Would like turnkey -- shipped mounted and balanced, ready to install
  • Like Fiske - (don't know if they will fit with no spacers or issues)

Also, what is the best way to store the stock wheels and tires to minimize tire dry-rot.

Thanks for any direction you can give. I know this is the coolest :cool: group on any car forum out there.

Rick_Phanny_4.gif

Last edited:
I purchased mine from Good Roads in Ft Lauderdale, as I lived down the street from them at the time. I would search for another vendor as I was not 100% happy with them and felt I could have received a better deal from someone else.

In the photo you see, I was running 225/35/17 and 285/35/18 if memory serves correct (got them from a friend that went 18/19 for a steal). Its been 7 years. 225 and 285 were too wide and rubbed front and rear. I later when down to 215 and 275 w/o issues. I wanted these wheel for my new ride but I didn't feel they would look as good against white as they did against a darker color. Sizes were 17*8 amd 18*10.

These would set your car off big time!!!! Very good wheel with an excellent racing history. The Porsche shop up the street has at least 10 sets of these wheels painted black for their race cars. He said he would not run any other wheel on $100,000 + cars. Can't argue with that I guess.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
I would recommend the new VOLK RE30s that come in the special edition chrome silver. They're kinda like the E46 M3 18" finish, or the SLK350 17". Silverish with some dark acsents on the edge of the spokes, very very nice.

600x450-2007052300002-5.jpg

I like the iforged flux 18x8/19x10. I have no link but they have a phat rear lip and look great on any NSX. They might be my next set.

[*]Michelin Pilots (very important - so the wheels have to be able to take Michelins)

Which Michelin Pilots? Michelin makes a bazillion different tires with the "Pilot" name, everything from top-of-the-line summer tires (Pilot Sport and Pilot Sport PS2) to all-season tires for year-round driving (Pilot Sport A/S) to winter tires (Pilot Alpin) to track tires (Pilot Sport Cup) to some pretty crappy tires (which I won't name). Just like there are lots of Bridgestone tires with the "Potenza" name, Kumho tires with "Ecsta", etc.

The only Michelin street tires good enough for an NSX, IMO, are the Pilot Sport and Pilot Sport PS2, and although both are very good tires, neither is available in the 17" or 18" sizes you need for the front of an NSX (215/40-17 or 215/35-18, respectively). So I think Michelin tires are not a good idea for the NSX.

You would be a LOT better off getting some 17x7.5 and 18x9.5 wheels and putting some Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires on them (in 215/40-17 and 265/35-18).

I am also looking for new wheels and tires. I frequent this section.

I want the F1 GS-D3, and asked for SSR GT wheels. Tire Trends told me that they could not find the offsets for the NSX. What does this mean?

Which Michelin Pilots? Michelin makes a bazillion different tires with the "Pilot" name, everything from top-of-the-line summer tires (Pilot Sport and Pilot Sport PS2) to all-season tires for year-round driving (Pilot Sport A/S) to winter tires (Pilot Alpin) to track tires (Pilot Sport Cup) to some pretty crappy tires (which I won't name). Just like there are lots of Bridgestone tires with the "Potenza" name, Kumho tires with "Ecsta", etc.

The only Michelin street tires good enough for an NSX, IMO, are the Pilot Sport and Pilot Sport PS2, and although both are very good tires, neither is available in the 17" or 18" sizes you need for the front of an NSX (215/40-17 or 215/35-18, respectively). So I think Michelin tires are not a good idea for the NSX.

You would be a LOT better off getting some 17x7.5 and 18x9.5 wheels and putting some Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires on them (in 215/40-17 and 265/35-18).

I want the Pilot PS2. Would Michelins fit and 18 / 19 set up? thanks

I am also looking for new wheels and tires. I frequent this section.

I want the F1 GS-D3, and asked for SSR GT wheels. Tire Trends told me that they could not find the offsets for the NSX. What does this mean?
The offset measures the distance between the center line of the wheel and the mounting surface of the wheel, as shown here:

wheel.offset.gif

You can read more here.

You can find the offsets for the stock wheels in the NSX FAQ here. When providing them to your wheel guy, make sure you also provide the wheel widths (as offset depends on width) and other information noted there (center bore, etc).

tabasco said:
I want the Pilot PS2. Would Michelins fit and 18 / 19 set up?

I wouldn't. The smallest 18" size available for the PS2 is 225/35-18, and many NSX owners who have tried this size have found that it rubs in the wheel wells, at least some of the time.

For 18"/19" wheels, the best sizes are 215/35-18 and 275/30-19, which will avoid rubbing, allow the TCS to operate, etc. The one really good tire available in these sizes is the Pirelli PZero Nero.

If you want good sized lips, you pretty much eliminate any possibility of fitting big brakes in the future. Not only there will not be enough room for the rear of the spokes to clear the calipers, you also will not have any room to fit the spacer without the outer edge of the wheel sticking out beyond the fender edge. The only way to fix this is to have a widebody kit or have narrow wheels to start with, but then those wheels will not be "perfect fit" in the first place. You cannot have both worlds. You either choose wheels that are flat or have thin lips to clear the big brakes, or you choose the deep dish for your desire but no BBK option.
Steve

Back