• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Newbie question: Seat leather and gloss trim

Newbie on this Board - from what I read, this community is awesome.

I recently bought a peachy 92 NSX, red/black, low miles (just over 20k) from its original owner who lived in California and Nevada, and who said the car was always garaged.

I notice a couple cosmetic things --

1. the black seat leather shows no tears or serious wear, overall its in very good shape, but the leather all over the seats feels pretty hard to the touch. I faintly recall reading somewhere that when these cars were new, the leather interior was 'glove leather soft'. Any thoughts or advice on this? For a 20+ year old car, will the leather have hardened alot even if the car has been clearly well cared for and never abused? Can the leather be reconditioned successfully with reasonable effort, or should I be looking for new seat covers if I want the soft leather feel again?

2. the glossy black plastic trim on the car -- e.g., behind the door handles, on the B pillar, and on the door trim at the top of the door (where the glass retracts into the door) -- seems pretty worn (by finger nail scratches I guess) or dulled. What's the fix for this, if any?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
My leather is pretty hard as well. Being 20+ years old only one would assume it would harden over time from storage and sun beating down. I often use a leather conditioner to try and help with teh conditioning. Not sure if it helps but I keep telling myself it does, lol.

Same thing with the trim, its old as well. Mine has cracked a bit in places. I plan to eventually replace all the exterior rubber/plastic pieces, but I want more mods first haha.

Hope this helped a bit.

1. Try the Leatherique two-step process. It improved my seats considerably. Do a few rounds of it.

-Jason

Follow this good advice. I just used this on my '91 with 27k and after three passes they came out looking new. It seems that our seats are not covered with a 'plastic' coating as much leather is today and they respond well to Leatherigue. I used Einszett Leather care on top.

Back