• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Not just Carfax....

You might also check out http://www.iso.com/ to see if there was a claim filed to an insurance company.

Carfax or Autocheck may not pick up events filed to an insurance company.

I work for a dealership where we check all cars we buy from customers. First we check Carfax or Autocheck. Then if the value is over a certain amount, we run the VIN against ISO. I've personally had a car come up under ISO where it was reported to the insurance company of an accident, but Autocheck was clean.

Oh and always, always request a full report for Carfax or Autocheck. You can get a summary or a full report. The Full report shows when the car was first placed into service and where it was registered and/or emissions where done if the state reports it. It also shows the mileage of each event. So for folks that has to get emissions done ever year or other year, DOUBLE CHECK and TRIPLE CHECK that the attendent enters the EXACT mileage. If he is off, it may create a roll back issue where it looks like the odometer was rolled back. Also, DO NOT guess on the mileage when you get a title. If you don't know, go and check.

how do you run a vin with iso.

i looked through a website and i cant find anything a consumer like myself can use...

skinnydoc said:
how do you run a vin with iso.

i looked through a website and i cant find anything a consumer like myself can use...

You can't. You have to work for an insurance company or law enforcement. To get an account with them, they do an extremely extensive background check on you. By the way, if anyone has an account, I wouldn't be throwing out information to the general public. It is highly illegal and they will prosecute you. I'm not sure why the original poster suggested that people check it out. It's not available to just anyone like CarFax.

Back