• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

NSX parking in Manhattan

Hello all.

My wife and I will be celebrating our 10th year wedding anniversary and to celebrate we are planning a trip to New York city. I've always wanted to go to New York and have been doing a lot of research on what to do, see, visit, eat, etc. I'm really excited about this trip and to make it even more fun I thought we'd drive down in my NSX.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice regarding parking. We'll be staying on Broadway and I've been looking at some parking garages, namely Icon and Central parking. We'll be staying for 3 nights and all I want to do is drive down, park the car for the 3 days and drive back when we're done- I don't plan on driving it while we are down there.

My question to you all is; would it be safe to park my NSX in NYC for 3 days? Are there better parking facilities I should look at instead? Am I better off not bringing the NSX at all? I have to admit that part of the excitement around this trip is driving 7 hours in my NSX to get there. But if it's too risky, then I might just leave it at home and take the other car instead.

Any help from New Yorkers would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Re: NSXparking in Manhattan

If you want, you could leave it at my house on the other side of the river in NJ. It will be safe there. I am 15 minutes from the bridge and I can drive you down.

just like Passline... if you want you can leave it at my house too, YOU can put it in my garage. I am about 35-40min from mid town via the Long Island Rail Road. Drop your stuff off at the hotel, cruise to my house and I will even drive you back to the city :)

You have some great offers, if you decide not to take them up then leave the NSX at home. If you've never driven the roads into NYC you'll have a tough time actually driving in NYC itself. The potholes are large enough to swallow an NSX. I'm glad that I moved away from NYC 16yrs ago and I'd never drive a nice car there again.

You should enjoy the NSX (meant to be used) in a drive down from Ontario. I do agree with DocL however, that you should not drive to your hotel in midtown, at all. Just go directly to one of our homes near the city first and and be driven to your hotel in a "beater" vehicle with your luggage. What other car club offers this? :eek:

I have been without an NSX so far this spring and it would be nice to see one in the garage bay again, if only for a few days. I can offer a trip into the city in a '87 e30 with dents on each side. :smile:

Unlike most, I love to drive in the city as long as I don't have to find parking. This Bimmer is our city cab. :biggrin:

You have some great offers, if you decide not to take them up then leave the NSX at home. If you've never driven the roads into NYC you'll have a tough time actually driving in NYC itself. The potholes are large enough to swallow an NSX. I'm glad that I moved away from NYC 16yrs ago and I'd never drive a nice car there again.
+1

I would NEVER drive my Nsx in NY. I don't even want to think of the damages my car would have.

...I don't even want to think of the damages my car would have.

Every car that I drove in and around NYC suffered from a bent wheel and ruptured side wall. If I didn't bend a wheel, a cab or POS car would end up hitting me getting off the FDR at 86th St.

I'm a city kid (born and raised) and still drive into the city regularly - - - but never in my NSX. It takes a certain skill set in the first instance to navigate the streets with the city cabs jockeying to pick up a fare, double and triple parked vehicles giving you barely a few inches on either side to get through and garages where they cram in so many vehicles that the skinny ones have to retrieve them because they literally will park within a couple of inches of the next vehicle to maximize the number of cars they can park. Plus, the cost of parking for several nights will come close to your hotel bill in most garages.

But if you are still so inclined, let me know where you plan on staying and I can help with a garage choice. You would want to make sure they knew it wasn't coming out for 3 days so you don't get moved 50 times in a night for the broadway bridge and tunnel crowd cars.

Driving in the city isnt bad if youre used to it. I drive a truck on the weekends in the city and have no issues and would bring my NSX there any day. Its a matter of being careful. Its no where near as bad as people make it out to be. so dont let the roads scare you. Potholes are present but like i said if youre looking out for the road you will be fine.

Rich needs an NSX to admire and kick him in the pants to find one ;)

I wouldnt mind two at my house again...
garage.jpg

If you are anal about the car and don't want to worry about then you should take one of the very generous offers.

Wow!! So many generous offers and advice. Don't know what to say...:redface:

They sound tempting and I might take one of them up. We are coming down in September and will be staying at the Radisson at 49 West 32nd Street. Like I said, I plan on driving down, dropping my bags and wife at the door and park the car. There is a Central Parking garage just down the street, and I believe an Icon parking garage one or two blocks over. But it sounds like this might be a bit risky. I've taken my NSX to Montreal and Toronto several times and parked it local garages with no issues - but I realize these cities are not NY (although Montreal drivers and roads are challenging enough!!).

Passline and Arista5, I might take you up on your offer if you're still up to it in September. I'll let you know.

Do you feel lucky? It's a crap shoot with parking garages in NYC.

I have had cars damaged by Icon before and others as well. The driving is less of an issue in NYC but the parking is more of a risk. I park my P-car in the city about once per month when I go to the track since I work in midtown and it has been dinged every now and then and they deny it every time.

Don't park your NSX in the city, you are taking a chance, take the generous offers that are extended and you don't have to worry.

My 2 cents...

Tytus

Did that mistake of driving in NYC once and don't do it....I am not sure if I will do it in some parts of NJ since last nsxstock.

I too wouldn't drive my NSX into the city for the same reasons listed above and you're welcome to park your care at my place. Besides, two NSX's parked side by side in my garage for a few days will give me some sweet bragging rights with my nieghbors. :-) I'm one hour west of the city just off Interstate 80. Martz Trailways offers a straight through bus service from my housing community (Panther Valley) to Port Authority NYC numerous time throughout each day. Cost is about $50 per person each way but it's very convenient and like clockwork is one hour each way. Schedule and details can be found here https://martztrailways.com/schedules-from-panther-valley.asp. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your anniversary!

You have some generous offers here. If you prefer to go it alone, might I suggest parking in Jersey City, NJ at Exchange Place (Harborside Financial Center Plaza 5)? It's a self-park place, and I've never had any issues ever parking there. Most of the people who park there usually work in the building or in one of the adjacent buildings. From there, it's a 5 minute walk to the PATH station, which you can take to Hoboken, then transfer across the platform to the midtown PATH (which will drop you off at 32nd and 6th/Broadway). I *think* it's operated by Central Parking or Icon Parking, both of which have coupons on their website.

The best option probably is to take up passline's offer. He lives in a nice area where your car will be super safe. :)

EDIT: You'll also be right by K-town. Let me know if you need some dining suggestions :)

Last edited:
Keep that gem out of the city, I'm a new Yorker all my life and manhattan and the NSX should never share the same sentence. Park it by one of the guys who will guard and cherish it as if it was their own.

Given your choice of location in the city there is a park and lock that I have used a few times across from MSG .... you park and lock your own car and I consider it a safe place. I recommend parking on the roof as no one parks there really except a few company vans. I dont know what the cost would be but if your interested its located on 31st right across from MSG.

http://www.parkwhiz.com/p/new-york-parking/218-230-w-31-st/

I have some parking spaces available in my building. PM me and let me know when you're planning to drive into the city and how long you plan to stay and I'll make the arrangements.

I visit NYC often (in-laws) and I second the suggestion from Acura NsX Pilot. The "park and lock" on 31st (between 7th and 8th ave near MSG). It is a good option if you MUST drive in. It costs about $40 per day. I would never use any of the other garages where you have to give them your keys, especially with out of town plates.

But the best option is to park outside the city and take advantage of the generous options stated and take public transit in.

NYC is fun, but much more enjoyable when you don't have to worry about your car :)

Regards,
Bill

See you this Wednesday. The NSX will be safe in my garage and you can enjoy your Anniversary in the big city. Don't forget to save some money for the trip back to Canada.

ps. If weather is nice, walk the "High Line." It's free.

Cheers!

This site is awesome. I cannot believe the hospitality that people give here. On no other site that im on would anyone voluenteer their own property and garage and then to boot drive you DT to your hotel. Love it.

See you this Wednesday. The NSX will be safe in my garage and you can enjoy your Anniversary in the big city. Don't forget to save some money for the trip back to Canada.

ps. If weather is nice, walk the "High Line." It's free.

Cheers!

Nice! Very generous of you Passline!

I would second the "High Line" this time of year as it defines the "Urban Park/Oasis" mantra. Very nice and relaxing if it is not too packed with people.

I drive in NYC at least 2 times a month and don't really have a problem driving or parking, but would avoid all parkign garages at all costs except the Park & Lock ones (31st ST by MG and 42nd ST by Port Authority). You need to be a very aggressive driver and very aware of your surroundings at all times. But I trained in a 96 Corolla for 8ish months daily, so I got in some good practice.

Hello all.

My wife and I will be celebrating our 10th year wedding anniversary and to celebrate we are planning a trip to New York city. I've always wanted to go to New York and have been doing a lot of research on what to do, see, visit, eat, etc. I'm really excited about this trip and to make it even more fun I thought we'd drive down in my NSX.

It was a pleasure meeting the two of you. I hope you had a safe trip back to Ottawa on Saturday and that you enjoyed your "10th" in Manhattan last week. It was fun to see an NSX in the garage again. Your car is beautiful and I love the fact that it is a 91' and kept totally stock including the wheels, antenna and exhaust. That is what I plan on (bone stock), when I find the right 05'.

Regards
-Rich

Back