• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Test Drive Experience Invites going out!

The "good" test drive program is in effect!

Some dealers sent invites to their prospective NSX clients for a test drive experience at the Honda Proving Center in Cantil, CA (Southern-ish California).

Its a 2 hr event that includes:
45 minute closed course track drive
Hot laps with a pro driver
45 minute street drive

This event should be coming to other zones in the near future!

Accept the invitation!

The "good" test drive program is in effect!

Some dealers sent invites to their prospective NSX clients for a test drive experience at the Honda Proving Center in Cantil, CA (Southern-ish California).

Its a 2 hr event that includes:
45 minute closed course track drive
Hot laps with a pro driver
45 minute street drive

This event should be coming to other zones in the near future!

I was very fortunate to receive one of these invitations...if you get one, GO! It was a genuinely unforgettable experience. Here's a short diary of the trip:

https://theexplainist.wordpress.com/2017/05/22/expectations-exceeded/

I went this weekend (thanks for setting that up for us, Scott!)

Per some of the folks at the event including Mr. John Watts himself, this event came together in about two weeks as that was the amount of notice they had that a slot was open at the Proving Center. This was more of a test run or proof of concept, they are assessing the success of the program and probably tweaking it based on feedback before running it again in the future. I have spent a fair bit of time on the phone and writing emails to various folks at Acura to tell them what worked and what didn't at the event.

Overall it was a hugely positive experience and I definitely recommend anyone who's even remotely interested in the car try and go, if it comes through your area.

Obviously I was interested in the new NSX, but nothing makes a car real to you and forces you to prioritize owning one like getting to beat the crap out of it for over an hour. The best part of the weekend was actually not that I finally got to drive the car (or even sit in one - dealers have been surprisingly persnickety with their DO NOT TOUCH signage), but that my girlfriend (who likes a nice car but is largely indifferent to/intimidated by ultra high performance driving) had a blast and is now on board with my mission to get one. This resulted from a combination of how friendly and forgiving the car is to drive for beginners, and the fact that the Acura staff - especially the pro drivers/coaches - were warm, friendly, attentive, and ultra knowledgeable about every aspect of the car, willing to chat for hours and answer any questions.

Anyway now my biggest problem is that she wants Valencia Red Pearl which looked super striking in the desert sun, and I want Nord Grey. Negotiations are ongoing.

IMG_0017.jpgIMG_0024.jpgIMG_0026.jpg

Last edited:
I went this weekend (thanks for setting that up for us, Scott!)

Obviously I was interested in the new NSX, but nothing makes a car real to you and forces you to prioritize owning one like getting to beat the crap out of it for over an hour. The best part of the weekend was actually not that I finally got to drive the car (or even sit in one - dealers have been surprisingly persnickety with their DO NOT TOUCH signage), but that my girlfriend (who likes a nice car but is largely indifferent to/intimidated by ultra high performance driving) had a blast and is now on board with my mission to get one. This resulted from a combination of how friendly and forgiving the car is to drive for beginners, and the fact that the Acura staff - especially the pro drivers/coaches - were warm, friendly, attentive, and ultra knowledgeable about every aspect of the car, willing to chat for hours and answer any questions.

Very nicely said. I drove the silver oneon Saturday, and it was a tremendous experience all around. You really get to know the car and get comfortable with the investment when you can spend a couple of hours with it, with all those earnest, knowledgeable, enthusiastic experts around. And that facility is just wonderful.

Cheers!

Also regarding color, they said only 6 cars have been ordered in Nord Grey so far, one of them being Seinfeld's. So you'd be in good and very exclusive company. :)

Also regarding color, they said only 6 cars have been ordered in Nord Grey so far, one of them being Seinfeld's. So you'd be in good and very exclusive company. :)

Interesting, John W told me they had built about 70 grey cars total, on track to matching the production of my precious Midnight Pearl. He also encouraged me to go with a color that would hold its value :D

Interesting, John W told me they had built about 70 grey cars total, on track to matching the production of my precious Midnight Pearl. He also encouraged me to go with a color that would hold its value :biggrin:

Well that might be more accurate; I'm not sure who told us six, but they emphasized Nord Grey was the rare, future-collector's color. :wink:

Glad you had this opportunity.

I don't see Nord Gray as a winning color for resale.

Good luck with the adventure.

Awesome! This is *exactly* the type of thing Acura needs to be doing to sell this car, so I am enthused that they are stepping up to the big boy table!

they likely would have sold more if this was available from the start.

whomever is in charge of nsx marketing needs to be fired.

I am curious about which tyres were being used on track during your test drive experience. We had the standard Continentals on official Formula 1 track, namely Istanbul Park. High grip surface is really punishing on tyres. Contis don't last more than 200 miles on track. They had to put a new set every 2-3 hours.
IMG_0155.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG

This time was all Contis, so yes there was a fair bit of understeer. It was an opportunity to demonstrate how well the car handles getting out of shape.

I also gave them the feedback that it would be good to have some Michelin cars on hand for more track focused persons.

Back