• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXCA NSX Holiday Party - CalCoastalNSX - Sat, Jan 16th - Feeler Thread

No party, No money from the Club (unless you think about $10 per person subsidy is anything more than an insult - which pales in comparison to the $75-100 for each member that I managed to produce for last years event) Steve decides what happens with our region and our money, and not by me. Believe me, I tried and it fell on deaf ears. Someone who was not elected by our region is representing you and here is what you get. I guess there are some other things that he wants to do later this year that are more important than our Holiday party. It was fun last year, wasn't it? Even Steve went to the party. It was so much of a deal I got for each member, even he couldn't refuse. We wait 365 days to have this party and we get no support from him or the club. Oh wait, Steve decides he wants to go after calling me and trying to give some money that is too little, too late.
After 9 years of helping you guys out with successful event after event, I get this _________ piss on my plans. The only recourse is to complain to Larry B (pres of NSXCA). I would have no problem in continuing my efforts when it comes to helping out the region with fun and exciting events and meets. As is stands now, there will be no effort forthcoming from me in the near future. I think this would not be in the clubs best interest.
John :biggrin:
BTW - The autocross equipment we all worked hard to buy has just been sent to New York, because Steve won't store it or pick it up, which I have done FREE for the last 8 years. I am unable to continue to pay for storage. Shame :redface:

Mr. Richards,

When I read your rant my first reaction was to ignor it as I did most of last year with your bizarre behavior. Dealing with you reminds me of the movie "Miracle on 34th Street." Do you recall the scene when Kris Kringle (aka Santa) gets frustrated in trying to reason with the malicious and contemptuous psychologist. Kris simply conks the twerp on the head with his umbrella. Imagine your behavior being so deceitful even Santa can't take it. Well, if I was Santa and had my umbrella, you know what I would do.

You make so many BS claims, I simply can't justify responding to them, so I won't. Whatever your personal motives or issues may be, try to find the courage to spare other Prime members from your personal agenda, lies and deception. I am severly disappointed in you and your poor behavior.

Maybe I shouldn't post anything because I don't know about this party or the past support by NSXCA BUT I do know Steve and I know how enthusiastic he is about NSXCA. I hate to see him put down this way. He's a GOOD guy!

~Patricia

i've known anytime for years and he is done a lot for the community. All yellow is responding with is a wierd analogy that doesn't say anything.
is what john is saying incorrect? did you allow a far less amount of money this year? questions seem very simple to me to answer. (keep in mind I wasn't going to the party anyway, but have in the past) Just would like to understand what the heck is going on

Last edited:
No dog in this fight. John has been a leading edge in SoCal NSX events forever. Last NSX member I know of who did an autocross event in SoCal at Hollywood Park; no one since. He use to have monthly meetings in a Coco's in Santa Monica just to bond the OC/LA/VC guys together. He drove in from Ventura. I drove from Trabuco Canyon. He established, planned, mapped and supported all the Cal Coastal NSX drives. He had huge support from NSX vendors/suppliers/dealers and shared as raffle gifts to everyone. He also raised $$ for Neo to fly in for a CalCoastal drive to join us; WE HAD A GREAT TIME!! I've had the pleasure of having Lud ride with me flying in from VA on a CalCoastal event he organized. All Good! I've found many new friends at events John put together.
Steve, can't see where this comes from? Gil :mad:

Please enlighten me as to what I said is untrue. Also, the lies and deception.
1. Money (about $10 per person -the region DOES have more money) - check
2. Me helping the club for 9 years - check
3. You attended last years party because it was such a great deal - check
4. You were appointed/not elected and in charge of the SW region now - check
5. You responding to this thread/wanting to attend only after you decide to give money - check
6. Me storing the Autocross equipment for the last 8 years for free - check
7. You not picking up the Autocross equipment - check
8. Causing me to send it to New York - check
9. Members unhappy can contact Larry B - check
10. I'll help out if I can continue as I have done with decisions - check

Check the hostility at the door

As%20I%20See%20It%20Yes.gif

Mr. Richards,

When I read your rant my first reaction was to ignor it as I did most of last year with your bizarre behavior. Dealing with you reminds me of the movie "Miracle on 34th Street." Do you recall the scene when Kris Kringle (aka Santa) gets frustrated in trying to reason with the malicious and contemptuous psychologist. Kris simply conks the twerp on the head with his umbrella. Imagine your behavior being so deceitful even Santa can't take it. Well, if I was Santa and had my umbrella, you know what I would do.

You make so many BS claims, I simply can't justify responding to them, so I won't. Whatever your personal motives or issues may be, try to find the courage to spare other Prime members from your personal agenda, lies and deception. I am severly disappointed in you and your poor behavior.

This is sad...

As has been pointed out already John has done much more for the Southwest region (in terms of organizing, planning and spending his time (either with the help of or at the price of his family) to insure the events were both successful and FUN!) than anyone I have been involved with in the past 9 years. I was the NSXCA Southwest region representative during part of that time and worked with John on having the NSXCA support many of his events.

I know that John's post was fueled by the long standing frustration that comes with trying to get people (including myself) to help him with these past events. John has always found a way to get it done.

Steve, as a new member to both this forum and the NSXCA I am sad you chose to respond to John the way you did. You need to realize that a large part of your position as the regional representative is to promote the club, get new people to join and existing members to feel the club is worth the $40 per year we all pay. John's events have added many people to the club and continued to give most of the members a feeling of value in their membership.

During the past year what have you done to organize any NSXCA events for the members of the Southwest region? The last NSXCA event I am aware of was the Holiday party last January.

The Southwest region has more members than any other region and therefore has more money allocated for its discretionary use than any other region.

Please help us understand what your plan is for that money that would justify the clubs support be limited to just $300 ($10 per person for 30 people). Keep in mind that in the past, the region has been able to support multiple events during the course of a single year (autocross, drive and party for example).

Please don't get me wrong I am not criticizing you personally. I just think you need to consider and realize what John has done in the past for the club and treat him with more respect. Organizing events is basically a thankless job (even though people say "thanks").

John's record with the NSXCA speaks for itself. Your record has no entries yet. John deserves better.

Unfortunately it takes more than just enthusiasm and being a "great guy" to be an active participant in any club or group. John is not on the NSXCA BoD, all his efforts are selfless and for the benefit of NSX Owners.

Enthusiasm and effort are two different things. Anyone can be enthused about a club but the proof is in the what he/she has done. Dreaming of an event and actually putting one on are two different scenarios. Putting on a quality event is a lot more involved than just making a post on Prime to a meeting point somewhere. Mapping, calling restaurants, scheduling and other tasks to get an event going takes more time and effort than most people realize.

From experience I know what it takes to coordinate successful group events that are the caliber of the SoCal Drives, AutoX's, JGTC and the Holiday Party. There are several of us in SoCal who have always provided great events for the NSX community. All the enthusiasm in the world cannot replace those that have actually done it. So with all that said it will be sad to see doers like John leave the community with no one to take his place.

This is for ANYTIME - Hip Hip Hooray - Hip Hip Hooray - Hip Hip Hooray - Hip Hip Hooray - Hip Hip Hooray!!

Last edited:
Steve, as a new member to both this forum and the NSXCA I am sad you chose to respond to John the way you did. You need to realize that a large part of your position as the regional representative is to promote the club, get new people to join and existing members to feel the club is worth the $40 per year we all pay. John's events have added many people to the club and continued to give most of the members a feeling of value in their membership.

During the past year what have you done to organize any NSXCA events for the members of the Southwest region? The last NSXCA event I am aware of was the Holiday party last January.

The Southwest region has more members than any other region and therefore has more money allocated for its discretionary use than any other region.

Please help us understand what your plan is for that money that would justify the clubs support be limited to just $300 ($10 per person for 30 people). Keep in mind that in the past, the region has been able to support multiple events during the course of a single year (autocross, drive and party for example).

I'm sorry to see any contention between memebers and hope it stops.

What I'm really interested in though, are the facts. I didn't know the SW region was the most active and was responsible for collecting the most dues.

I had such a great time last year. My gf even said I have to make more meets and C&C's. John's never fails to touch base and invite me to stuff and Tom has alway been up for car chat/advice - thanks guys! I've met several sellers in person which beats a ship transaction, anyday. The forum provides a world of information, too. However, all of a sudden, the numbers-to-events ratio doesn't make sense - now that it's been pointed out. I look forward to seeing what lies in the calendar ahead.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it takes more than just enthusiasm and being a "great guy" to be an active participant in any club or group. John is not on the NSXCA BoD, all his efforts are selfless and for the benefit of NSX Owners...

This is for ANYTIME - Hip Hip Hooray - Hip Hip Hooray - Hip Hip Hooray - Hip Hip Hooray - Hip Hip Hooray!!
^Point taken, Scott. I hope to meet ANYTIME sometime, too.

In memory of the cancelled event I did go karting today and had dinner at Gulliver's. YOU ALL MISSED A REAL GOOD TIME!!! AND I WAS SO FAST TODAY YOU WOULD HAVE HAD NO CHANCE ON THE TRACK, RYAN, JOHN AND SCOTT; YOU WERE ALL DEAD MEAT!!
The food was good too! Sorry to do it alone, Gil

In memory of the cancelled event I did go karting today and had dinner at Gulliver's. YOU ALL MISSED A REAL GOOD TIME!!! AND I WAS SO FAST TODAY YOU WOULD HAVE HAD NO CHANCE ON THE TRACK, RYAN, JOHN AND SCOTT; YOU WERE ALL DEAD MEAT!!
The food was good too! Sorry to do it alone, Gil

Dang it !!!!! Any pics? :rolleyes:

I have been delaying my post hoping to reduce the anger and disappointment I have felt over what happened before sharing my thoughts. The fact remains that John has been one of the most supportive members to the NSX community in our region. He always goes above and beyond...at that extends well outside of the NSX events that he has helped orchestrate with aplomb. He is the glue binding the CalCoastal NSX Group. Yes, we are members of the NSXCA Southwest Region...but CalCoastal first and foremost. Thanks again John, I know you tried.

Steve (YellowHaze), I do not want to diminish your enthusiasm as I know you mean well and want to get some activities rolling within our region, but I still do not understand how you became our regional representative. I do not recall an election. I am not sure if someone so new to our region would have been elected had there been one. Many of us in the region have been active for many years...so it would serve you well to get to know who amongst us have been its biggest contributors and learn to work with rather than against.

So, on a day when we should have been celebrating another great year for the club, we are lamenting the end of an era. :(

Last edited:
Gil, You crack me up!

Thanks again John, I know you tried.

Steve (YellowHaze), So, on a day when we should have been celebrating another great year for the club, we are lamenting the end of an era. :(

Well said Eric!!

Last edited:
Steve (YellowHaze), I do not want to diminish your enthusiasm as I know you mean well and want to get some activities rolling within our region, but I still do not understand how you became our regional representative. I do not recall an election. I am not sure if someone so new to our region would have been elected had there been one. (

Steve was appointed to the Board after my/our efforts to get a candidate/s to run for the position went without even one person stepping forward for the position. The position was advertised here on Prime and in a mass emailing to the membership when the prior regional rep left mid-term.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108316

After no one stepped forward for a formal election and the region was left unrepesented on the Board for too long a period of time, Steve selflessly stepped forward to volunteer to take on this thankless task. For that, the Board is very appreciative.

Steve's appointment by the national Board is an interim appointment to fill out the remainder of the region's term which is up for election this year at NSXPO 2010.

Last edited:
Dang it!!!! :frown: I had to play Wii Resort all day Saturday instead of Karting and eating Prime Rib...

Steve was appointed to the Board after my/our efforts to get a candidate/s to run for the position went without even one person stepping forward for the position. The position was advertised here on Prime and in a mass emailing to the membership when the prior regional rep left mid-term.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108316

After no one stepped forward for a formal election and the region was left unrepesented on the Board for too long a period of time, Steve selflessly stepped forward to volunteer to take on this thankless task. For that, the Board is very appreciative.

Steve's appointment by the national Board is an interim appointment to fill out the remainder of the region's term which is up for election this year at NSXPO 2010.

So if ANYTIME is so active in putting these events together (and I know he is) why didn’t he run for this position? I’m trying to stay neutral in this, but if John was given the opportunity to be the region rep and decided to pass on it, he has no right to get mad at the decisions the new rep is making. I personally think Steve (YellowHaze) did not make a good judgment call regarding this event but I know it was his decision to make as the new rep.

Bottom line – We were all given the opportunity to be in a position to decide how funds would be allocated but only one person came forward.

Just my .02 :smile:

So if ANYTIME is so active in putting these events together (and I know he is) why didn’t he run for this position? I’m trying to stay neutral in this, but if John was given the opportunity to be the region rep and decided to pass on it, he has no right to get mad at the decisions the new rep is making. I personally think Steve (YellowHaze) did not make a good judgment call regarding this event but I know it was his decision to make as the new rep.

Bottom line – We were all given the opportunity to be in a position to decide how funds would be allocated but only one person came forward.

Just my .02 :smile:

In the last year, any events happen you can think of ? (not including my stuff)

The party is only one of many events that the members deserve. Paying to be a member should reap some benefits, and the party at a minimum should have been one of them. The last event was 1 year ago. 1 year ago :frown:

I was approached on the date of that wanted post on 07-15-2008 and decided I was doing a good job already representing the Southwest Regoin and having a title would not change any of my involvement in the club. Also, Heather was still filling in at that point.

Just a reminder that the Southwest region includes a wide geographical area and not just cal coastal. Considering that membership dues are only $40 per year, it is not fair to the other SW members that a significant portion of their dues allocation for all the states in that region be utlitized to pay $75-$100 per person for one event that benefits only 30 people.

Yes, everyone appreciates anyone who organizes events in any region and we rely upon local members to help organize them. However, to suggest that somehow 30 members are "entitled to reap a benefit" that involves one subsidized party whereby the per person cost is twice what they pay in dues is not fiscally possible.

Just a reminder that the Southwest region includes a wide geographical area and not just cal coastal. Considering that membership dues are only $40 per year, it is not fair to the other SW members that a significant portion of their dues allocation for all the states in that region be utlitized to pay $75-$100 per person for one event that benefits only 30 people.

Yes, everyone appreciates anyone who organizes events in any region and we rely upon local members to help organize them. However, to suggest that somehow 30 members are "entitled to reap a benefit" that involves one subsidized party whereby the per person cost is twice what they pay in dues is not fiscally possible.

Headcount usually is around 60-70, as spouses and other family members are included in the membership. Event invites and also evites extend to the whole region and almost every state has been represented at some time or other during the last few years. Correct me if I am wrong, but Southern California has the highest concentration of members per square mile or however it is figured. Every event has been designed to be able to include out of town guests (Queen Mary discounted hotel rates as an example) and the treasurer has always had an inquiry in an attempt to not use more than our region has "in the bank". When there are no other events being planned in the Southwest Region and there are monies available, are you saying that the region and its members are not able to use them exactly as they were intended? (events, parties, etc) Members paying $40 per year should get more than NSX Driver and the ability to attend NSXPO (insert: reap a benefit). Also, is it not true that if the monies are not used, they are then transfered to the national/general fund and taken from the region?

Last edited:
The Regional Representative is responsible to the Board to advise of the expenditures being requested for any particular event with the understanding that other events may be planned in other states in that region. My comments in this thread were limited to the suggestion that one local party limited to 30 persons could spend $75-$100 per person from the Region's allocation was not a fiscal possibility.

In the event that a Region is in a situation in which funds have not been used for an extended period of time whereby they could revert to the national balance, then the region is advised as you were in 2008. That is why you had a limited opportunity to extend a more generous benefit than is possible under ordinary circumstances. And at that time, you actually did spend more than your banked amount which resulted in every other region ending up subsidizing your local party.

Once again, we appreciate any local person in any state who helps to organize an event considering each region is so large that necessarily the elected representative could not possibly organize an individual event in another state. However, we still need one elected representative per region to oversee the activities of the entire region and not just "favor" the particular locale where they may live. When the regional allocations are not in a situation where they may revert for lack of use, it is still incumbent upon the Board to ensure that there are monies available if a similar party would be planned in Arizona, Colorado, etc.

Hey John (Anytime),

I got your back buddy! I owe my dues for 2010. I joined last year just so I could go to the party. NSX Driver is a nice read, but it wouldn't be the only reason that I renew since I will not be attending the expo. (Maybe 2011 will be closer). I would have spent the 40.00 to attend this years party. No party, I guess I'll take 2010 off.

John

Not to get off on a tangent, but I wouldn't classify Heather as leaving mid-term since she wasn't really serving a term. She had stayed on past her actual elected term because there were zero nominations for the position at the last regularly scheduled election (NSXPO '07 I believe) for the SW Regional Representative. She only stayed on because the board had asked her to continue even though she had limited time to devote. Finally with a full time job and birth of our daughter she had other commitments that necessitated her not being able to continue helping as the SW Regional Rep. It's too bad that no one else within the region stepped up to run for election.

As far as this situation goes I will stay out of it other than to say John has done a tremendous amount for the region both in conjunction with the NSXCA and outside of the NSXCA in putting events together. He was very helpful to me personally when we bought our first NSX in the LA area about 7 years ago even though he didn't know me at all. Since then we have talked sporadically and I know how committed he is to the community. He was helpful in providing us support for NSXPO '05 too and putting together a bid for NSXPO '07 in Vegas that didn't get chosen for that year. He has unquestionably devoted a lot of time to the NSX community.

Bob is also a fantastic long-time supporter of the NSX community and NSXCA. He does make a good objective point about the limited funds available and how difficult it is to provide such a large amount of money to so few members receiving a benefit from the one event. Some funds need to remain for other events whether they end up getting planned or not. It's easy to see John's position on that as well though if other events haven't been put together. Perhaps there would have been a good balance in the middle? Heather and I have provided a lot of our time to the NSXCA as well in the past and appreciate everyone who tries to better that community.

Tough situation that hopefully won't strain any relationships or create animosity. Hope it gets worked out for all involved. :smile:

Last edited:
Not to get off on a tangent, but I wouldn't classify Heather as leaving mid-term since she wasn't really serving a term. She had stayed on past her actual elected term because there were zero nominations for the position at the last regularly scheduled election (NSXPO '07 I believe) for the SW Regional Representative.

Yes, and I apologize to Heather for not making myself clear enough. She did graciously devote much more time past her term to assist the Board when we did not get anyone else to step up to the plate in 2007. As a courtesy not only to the SW Region but also to the national membership, she went above and beyond to assist us when she could despite advising everyone that she was unable to run in 2007. The actual term being filled at this time by Steve is for 2007-2010 and other than Heather "volunteering to volunteer" for the region passed her term we did not have anyone else come forward to represent the entire region.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91836

And, once again, just in case I am not making myself clear I/we do appreciate John's efforts to organize events. We wish we had "more Johns" throughout the country to motivate members to get together and meet one another. However, to be able to provide financial support potentially to different states throughout one region, monies necessarily need to be kept aside after which, if not used, may be used such as John wisely did in 2008.

It also needs to be understood that the Board consists entirely of volunteers (i.e. - no payment, no discounts on events, no extra free shirts, no free hotel rooms, no free meals but, admittedly, all the free agita we can handle). At times the work involves raising tens of thousands of dollars from sponsors so that major events may be subsidized. In 2007 and 2008, this included the Board arranging to have Acura sponsor the NSXCA membership at 5 ALMS races each of those two seasons. Approximately 40% of our membership plus their guests took advantage of that opportunity which cost Acura approximately $300,000 over the two years. Each member attending an ALMS race sponsored by Acura reaped a benefit valued at approximately $750 all for the price of an entry ticket between $75-$100.

It also needs to be recognized that major events require sponsorship in order to provide a larger subsidy to attendees. That is why NSXPO fees are much lower than the actual cost and ALMS attendees could get so much for so little while non-sponsored events such as a holiday party simply cannot justify an allocation of $75-100 per person when annual dues are only $40.

Last edited:
Is there anyway to access financial statements for NSXCA besides in NSXDriver? I remember skimming through the issue where it shows that the last NSXPO spent a lot of money and I think thats why the funds are so low this year. Please correct me if I am wrong....I just think there should be some fiscal responsibility so there can be future events going on without the next year being low on funds.

Last edited:
Back