• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM front bumper damage, fix or replace?

Hey guys,

My neighbor from up the street backed into my car when I was out of town. UGHH. I've attached a picture of the damage for reference. The emblem was clipped off, and there is a dent on the top section of only the upper, not the lower valance. The hood has also been scraped, but very very mildly. Both have been estimated to require repair and paint.

My question is, now that I have the insurance money, what should I do? Front bumper and hood are OEM.

Should I repair or replace the front bumper and hood? The estimate for repair and paint is essentially eating up the entire insurance supplement, so I am wondering if it would be more prudent to use this as an opportunity to replace/upgrade these two parts.

That being said, I have been entertaining the idea of replacing the hood with an NSX-R hood, but I'm not sure if this opens an entire new can of worms that my current insurance money won't cover. I am not trying to spend more money at this point, as I have waaay to many other financial obligations. i.e. While a 2nd gen front end conversion would be awesome, please don't suggest this.

I do want to keep the OEM front end, but I am having difficulty finding a genuine OEM replacement.

Attachments

• damage_front.jpg
    damage_front.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 283
Judging from the one pic, I'd say go with repairing the nose. Especially since a new OEM nose is either non-existent and/or cost prohibitive. It looks like it may require a little bit of filler. Hopefully the shop you take it to will be able to match the paint and won't have to paint the adjacent fenders to blend the color. Good luck.

New OEM bumper (71101-SL0-A90ZZ) appears to be available from www.acurapartsforless.com. $838.33 before 5% discount (5NSX). Discounted price $796.41. I'd replace rather than slapping a bunch of filler on it. [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Thanks for the prompt responses fellas.

I am leaning towards replacing it actually, especially given how the shop wants to charge me just over 1k to properly repair it. However, I think this is also factoring in the cost of re-working the lower chin spoiler also. If I can't manage to find a replacement, I'm confident that my body shop repair guy can do it, its just not cheap.
[MENTION=32537]mwagner10702[/MENTION] have you ordered from www.acurapartsforless.com before? From the diagram it looks like the replacement is just for the upper, which is fine with me actually. I'd rather have a pristine/new condition front, however I have no experience ordering from that website. i.e. are the parts genuine OEM? Sorry for the paranoia.

As for the hood, it almost (keyword almost) feels like a shame to repaint the entire hood just for the scuffs. What I mean by this is, I'd love take advantage of the repaint opportunity and upgrade to a deep vented NSX-R hood that fits with my pop up headlights. I love the procar hood, but holy moly expensive, not to mention nigh impossible to acquire. In any event, as mentioned in my first post, this most likely breaks the budget. Even FRP (non carbon) variants seem to be pricey from a bit of digging around.

Thanks for the prompt responses fellas.

I am leaning towards replacing it actually, especially given how the shop wants to charge me just over 1k to properly repair it. However, I think this is also factoring in the cost of re-working the lower chin spoiler also. If I can't manage to find a replacement, I'm confident that my body shop repair guy can do it, its just not cheap.
[MENTION=32537]mwagner10702[/MENTION] have you ordered from www.acurapartsforless.com before? From the diagram it looks like the replacement is just for the upper, which is fine with me actually. I'd rather have a pristine/new condition front, however I have no experience ordering from that website. i.e. are the parts genuine OEM? Sorry for the paranoia.

As for the hood, it almost (keyword almost) feels like a shame to repaint the entire hood just for the scuffs. What I mean by this is, I'd love take advantage of the repaint opportunity and upgrade to a deep vented NSX-R hood that fits with my pop up headlights. I love the procar hood, but holy moly expensive, not to mention nigh impossible to acquire. In any event, as mentioned in my first post, this most likely breaks the budget. Even FRP (non carbon) variants seem to be pricey from a bit of digging around.

Acurapartsforless is great. I ordered my 02 rear valance and 02 bumper top and bottom portion from them.

@mwagner10702 have you ordered from www.acurapartsforless.com before? From the diagram it looks like the replacement is just for the upper, which is fine with me actually. I'd rather have a pristine/new condition front, however I have no experience ordering from that website. i.e. are the parts genuine OEM? Sorry for the paranoia.

I've placed numerous orders with acurapartsforless.com and never had an issue. My contact there is Dan. He is very knowledgeable and responsive to email. I would not hesitate to order from them and yes - you will get genuine Acura parts. Email Dan at [email protected] or call him at (908) 377-4407.

Also, the lower front bumper skirt is part number 71102-SL0-000ZZ. Price with 5% discount is $406.03. Find the parts diagram here:

https://www.acurapartsforless.com/a...-engine/interior-bumper-cat/front-bumper-scat

BTW - Just based on the cost of these two parts I think the $1k you were quoted to fix it is low. Probably going to cost double that to do it right.

Last edited:
There just isn't much damage there. If you do decide to get new, keep the old stuff and eventually recondition it. Parts are getting more difficult to find. But I do agree with the $1k being somewhat on the low end. I had acquired multiple rock chips across my front bumper and hood. It was more than $1500 to have the front freshened up. Ultimately the bumper was removed, reconditioned, resprayed; along with the hood lights, and mirrors.

Last edited:
Back