• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Opinions: 1991 107k miles JH4NA1157MT001250

This is my first post, however I have been shopping for an NSX for some time and reading this forum quite often to fully understand the car and potential risks of ownership.

I'm going to see the following car this weekend:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163847

This car has a near perfect Carfax, all original owner documents, and all service receipts; the only Carfax imperfection being a mileage inconsistency early in its life that was obvious clerical error given the remaining report entries are consistent.

Concerns
The car hasn't had timing/waterpump service since 60k/2005​
Owner reported a "clunk" at low speed in 1st (likely normal differential play but not sure)​
Driver's seat bolster is fairly worn​
Lowering springs recently added (would prefer full coilover)​

Pros
Original Paint​
All OEM parts are in good order​
New OEM clutch @ 90k​
New Master/Slave cyl​
New Main relay​
Downforce Rear valence included​
Unpainted Shine lip included​

I'm looking to purchase the car with the stock wheels and the owner has agreed to sell it without the Work wheels as I have another set in mind (Advan RS or Volk GTV).

Local NSX owner's I've spoken to say the car is worth approximately $19k - $22k given the service the car will soon require, what is a 91 worth in this condition with this mileage and what should I look out for when inspecting the car?

Top red tool bar there is an icon that says wiki. Look in it there is a list of things to look for.

Given the service it needs and the demand these cars are in, this one being what looks to be a good example I think he has it priced great. I would pay 22-22500 for it and service it and drive it! Obviously that is if everything else checks out on it.

Thanks Source1! I'm glad you responded, I called you about 5 month's ago about sourcing/reconditioning an NSX and you mentioned there was a waiting list and you'd add me to it; I'll let you know if I purchase this example.

I have read the wiki quite a bit, hopefully I don't miss anything.

I saw something about making sure the crank pulley was replaced, is that an issue with these cars?

This is my first post, however I have been shopping for an NSX for some time and reading this forum quite often to fully understand the car and potential risks of ownership.

This car has a near perfect Carfax, all original owner documents, and all service receipts; the only Carfax imperfection being a mileage inconsistency early in its life that was obvious clerical error given the remaining report entries are consistent.

Concerns
Owner reported a "clunk" at low speed in 1st (likely normal differential play but not sure)​
Pros
Original Paint​
New OEM clutch @ 90k​
New Master/Slave cyl​
New Main relay​
I'm looking to purchase the car with the stock wheels and the owner has agreed to sell it without the Work wheels as I have another set in mind (Advan RS or Volk GTV).

Local NSX owner's I've spoken to say the car is worth approximately $19k - $22k given the service the car will soon require, what is a 91 worth in this condition with this mileage and what should I look out for when inspecting the car?

That car seems to be priced very well. If you like the car, and are wanting an nsx right now, I would not hesitate. NSX's under $30k do not last long

Thanks Source1! I'm glad you responded, I called you about 5 month's ago about sourcing/reconditioning an NSX and you mentioned there was a waiting list and you'd add me to it; I'll let you know if I purchase this example.

I have read the wiki quite a bit, hopefully I don't miss anything.

I saw something about making sure the crank pulley was replaced, is that an issue with these cars?

Good to hear you may have located one!

The crank pulley has been an issue for a couple people yes. But "expecting" it to be replaced is not something I would look for. When you do the TB/WP service replace it then.

Did you print out the pre-purchase inspection papers? If not do that and ask all those questions.

You can replace the crankshaft pulley when you do the tb/wp, but I'd install a pulley shield at the minimum. You may also want to get the cooling hoses checked, as they may need to be replaced.

Check to see if the car is in snap ring range. That clunk in 1st gear could mean trouble.

Concerns

Pros
Original Paint​
New OEM clutch @ 90k​
New Master/Slave cyl​
New Main relay​

I'm from IL as well, check for rust. It still pops up every once an while from out winters. (I am aware of aluminum body/ frame)

Back