• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinions on Laser Site Correction

How's that for off topic?

Who's had it and what do you think? Go ahead and give me the horror stories just as long as they're accurate. Not "My friend had two holes burned through the back of his head"
smile.gif

I am soooooo tired of wearing these glasses
cool.gif
I'm seriously thinking of finally going for it. I guess the brake upgrades will have to wait a while.

I've made an appointment for a consultation for next week and just wanted to here what everyone thinks. My brother says it's one of the best thing he's ever done.

[This message has been edited by Craig (edited 30 March 2001).]

I read an article in a reputable newspaper a while which interviewed some people who were less fortunate with the laser correction. It seems that there is the potential for rather serious problems, yet no firms ever present this risk to their potential clientel. One particular lady need minor correction, after the surgery, she would see starbursts of lights at night, and could no longer drive due to her poor vision.

Be very careful! I've worn contacts all my life, but im not ready for this. You only get 1 pair of eyes.

------------------
-------
95 T bl/bl @ 35K

I did the eye correction in '90 when they don't have laser yet, and they called them RK (radial Keratotomy). Since then they came out with Laser and I can only think they have to be better, than a doctor using diamond pointed knife cutting your eyes.

I had 20/20 vision for about 7 years, in '97 I started develop a little near sighted again on my left eye. But very minimal, that I still don't need glasses.

No side effects so far, and I really glad I did it. I was scared at first, but If my eyes get bad again, I'll do it again in a heartbeat.

My Mother just went through it a few months back. She hasnt quit talking about how great it is. I am planning on getting it done also, but the doctor suggested I wait until I am at least 25.

I have been thinking about this for quite a while, but just haven't had the time / nuts to go through with it yet. But I have done some extensive research. First and foremost for me, was the study I saw about where to go to have it done. Though it may seem opposite of what one would think, going to one of the guys that has a big operation (ie. Dr Tylock in Dallas) is much better than going to a small botique type guy. The error rate for surgeons that have done more than 5000 procedures was less than 1/2 of 1%. For surgeons that had less than 2500 procedures under their belt, the error rate went up to 4-5%. At first, I thought there had to be a catch to the bargain guys who whip 20 patients through per day, but apparently it turns out that all the experience they get makes them better.

Also understand, that though it will help with your eyesight, it is a real possibility that you will still have to wear bi-focals later in life.

Hope this helps.

Depending on exactly what type of correction you need, there may be another proceedure you should consider. Last year, there was a new technique introduced that used small plastic crecent shaped lenses inserted under the lens of your eye instead of using lasers to cut and reshape them. There are two benefits to the new process. The first is that many of the patients end up with better than 20/20 vision and the second is that in the rare cases it does not work, they can remove the inserts and your eyes go back to the way they were. Althoug the faliure rate with laser RK is low, it is scary that if you are one of the rare failures, you are screwed.

David, this method that u mentioned involve of cutting the lense to insert the small plastic right? Why not just cut the lense/reshape using laser, intead of addiing another step of inserting the plastic thing? And the risk of playing sport with something in your eye, just bother the heck out of me.

David, Unless this is the procedure you are refering to, I have also heard of a procedure where you wear contact type of lenses for a number of nights in a row while you sleep to gain your correction and then only need to wear once in a while to maintain the correction. The local weather man on KCAL 9 here in L.A. did it and was amazed.

[This message has been edited by Craig (edited 03 April 2001).]

Originally posted by Edo:
David, where can I get more info on this lens insertion?

I'm not sure. I saw a half hour documentary on the proceedure last year. Some doctor in Dallas was doing it, but apparantly it is becomming more widespread. It is not the proceedure where you wear a contact lens that reshapes your eye, it involves to small insicions at the edge of your lens, then the two tiny cresent shaped lens are inserted to reshape the lens of your eye.

The advantage over laser RK is that you can't reverse RK once it has been done. With this proceedure, if it does not work the way you want, they pull the lenses back out and your eye heals in a day or two. You are then back where you started, no permanent damage.

An ex- brother-in-law of mine is an Opthamologist and was involved in some of the testing for the 'rings' ( cannot remember the name right now - will about 1AM) and this is what I am waiting for. It is currently rather expensive and not readily available but in a few more years should be both. What I like is that it is reversible AND correctable. I will live with contacts/glasses until then - I wear either depending on the situation. My vision isn't that bad - I am 'funtional' without correction - can't drive but can walk around the house, watch TV, and read an alarm clock. If I go anywhere I have to have correction though.

------------------
BobsYT
2000 Red/Black #81

Back