• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pic of my 91 Imola Lambo Door NSX

Here is a pic of my Lambo door NSX.

10069sidepic.jpg

How are those doors working out for you? Do they hold tight with no creaks, rattles, etc? Do you have to roll the window down in order to open them?

Damn that is sweet. I think the lambo doors kinda match the nsx.

dnicho05 said:
How are those doors working out for you? Do they hold tight with no creaks, rattles, etc? Do you have to roll the window down in order to open them?

I'll try to answer these questions all at once here.

The doors are not working out so well, infact i'll probally be taking them off. They were great for a show car but as a daily driver, i'll pass ;). They are tight and the seal is just the same as stock with no problems. No rattles either. The doors open fine with the windows up or down. The struts are a bit weak and seem to wear out quickly. I have replaced the struts on them already once within 2 months and they will need to be replaced soon again. I got the struts from jtautosport.com. I hear the Decah struts are much better/stronger so i'll try that next time. Crappy thing is that you have to remove the bumper/fender/skirts just to replace the struts.

I dont have any more pics with the door open but i'll snag some soon.

The brand of kit was from jtautosport.com. The only modification i had to do was to trim the inside of the fender down a bit to clear the bracket. Other than that, it was a direct bolt on in the factory locations. the Pain in the A$$ part was adjusting it. You had to put all the panels back on and check the fitment and if it was wrong, then take all the panels back off and check again.

There were about 150 cars showing (last show of the year here) and we were at the very end, so the mess of cars you see behind me is people not showing and just in the staging area.

Would i do it again?? For a daily driver, NO. For a show car or a rarely driven car, YES. I love them and get many compliments on them everywhere i go. The NSX alone draws a crowd but these things really pull them in. If i hardly drove my car, i would keep them on but since i drive it quite a bit, i'm going to take them off.

reason being ? I thought it'd be easier to in-outgress from the vehicle with such doors, no ? (I'm probably way off) btw, sweet ride

deedubb said:
I'll try to answer these questions all at once here.

The doors are not working out so well, infact i'll probally be taking them off. They were great for a show car but as a daily driver, i'll pass ;). They are tight and the seal is just the same as stock with no problems. No rattles either. The doors open fine with the windows up or down. The struts are a bit weak and seem to wear out quickly. I have replaced the struts on them already once within 2 months and they will need to be replaced soon again. I got the struts from jtautosport.com. I hear the Decah struts are much better/stronger so i'll try that next time. Crappy thing is that you have to remove the bumper/fender/skirts just to replace the struts.

I dont have any more pics with the door open but i'll snag some soon.

The brand of kit was from jtautosport.com. The only modification i had to do was to trim the inside of the fender down a bit to clear the bracket. Other than that, it was a direct bolt on in the factory locations. the Pain in the A$$ part was adjusting it. You had to put all the panels back on and check the fitment and if it was wrong, then take all the panels back off and check again.

There were about 150 cars showing (last show of the year here) and we were at the very end, so the mess of cars you see behind me is people not showing and just in the staging area.

Would i do it again?? For a daily driver, NO. For a show car or a rarely driven car, YES. I love them and get many compliments on them everywhere i go. The NSX alone draws a crowd but these things really pull them in. If i hardly drove my car, i would keep them on but since i drive it quite a bit, i'm going to take them off.
this note would be good in the FAQ section

Thanks Deedubb,

I've heard other people talk about the door kits not being reliable, but what I had heard before was second or third hand information. It was great to hear a first hand report. From what you have said, It does sound like these door kit manufacturers are at least getting close to having a solid kit, they just need to work out the last of the bugs (like the weak struts). I am happily surprised that you said your doors shut tight and without rattles, thats great. A lot of the other complaints I have heard about those type of doors was that they weren't as secure as OEM.

Due to my tight garage space, I would love to have my NSX's doors open like that, but until someone perfects one of those kits, I guess I will be sticking with OEM hinges.

Great job with your car, I hope the Decah struts do the trick for you.

deedubb said:
The struts are a bit weak and seem to wear out quickly. I have replaced the struts on them already once within 2 months and they will need to be replaced soon again. I got the struts from jtautosport.com. I hear the Decah struts are much better/stronger so i'll try that next time.

Try Strutwise - Frank has been re-building the OEM trunk & hatch struts & has a really good reputation in the community. He can customize your requirements I believe. If you give him the dimensions & the loading he can probably either modify yours or create something replacement that will be much better. Check him out to see what he has to say

Very nice looking car - the doors actually look good & the original colour body on an NA1 with the seat combo is unique.

With your windows rolled all the way up when you close your door, how does the top of the window edge close with the rubber weatherstripping? Does it close just like OEM and under the rubber strip?

How's entry and exit with those doors also? I guess you would have to kind of lean away from the door when your exiting or entering since it doesn't open 90 degrees out fully.

93B18 said:
With your windows rolled all the way up when you close your door, how does the top of the window edge close with the rubber weatherstripping? Does it close just like OEM and under the rubber strip?

These aftermarket lambo doors open slightly out, then up, unlike the real lambo doors that open straight up and down. So the actual opening and closing mechanism remains the same. The only difference is that after unlatching and slightly cracking the door open, it swings up instead of out.

93B18 said:

How's entry and exit with those doors also? I guess you would have to kind of lean away from the door when your exiting or entering since it doesn't open 90 degrees out fully.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

The fitment really close to stock. Infact, i cannot tell the difference with the kit on from stock. Its the struts that ive had the problems with. the weather stripping is just like how it would be with the stock hinges on. The entry and exit is good. I dont have a problem but the doors are a bit heavy to lift up. Not too bad tho. I have no problems exiting the vehicle. Others may tho.

Can you give me the spec for your wheels/tires? TSW right? They look pretty tight. do they rub?

Great Job on the win at Bandimere, Dave! The doors maybe explain where you've been hiding lately?! We thought you'd show up for the Super Car meet but no DeeDubb!

Anyway, great looking- can't wait to the see the car in person again. PS- I'll be sending mine to AZ in 5 weeks for the hi boost setup ;) - still interested in the other one?

Back