• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Please help us!

The NSX has a new AP racing 6 pot kit waiting to be fitted, its taken a year to develop and the biggest (and now only) problem is the wheels.

We need wheels that give the caliper an additional 30mm of room. I said to my dad how about having a mad ET or spacers and he reckons since we track the car it will put too much stress on the bearings and they'll end up snapping mid-bend and we will die etc. etc. or we will spend loads of money replacing them.

What we have have been doing is contacting wheel manufacturers to create wider wheels (17F and 18R) but they keep letting us down :mad:

Is there anything we can do? I would try loads of different wheels but we don't have the luxury of being in the States, there is not one single supplier in the UK that is helpful and we can't just ship loads of wheels back when they don't fit...

If there are any wheel suppliers on the board i can give you all the measurements given from AP Racing!

Cheers,

-Rob

robfenn said:
The NSX has a new AP racing 6 pot kit waiting to be fitted, its taken a year to develop and the biggest (and now only) problem is the wheels.

We need wheels that give the caliper an additional 30mm of room. I said to my dad how about having a mad ET or spacers and he reckons since we track the car it will put too much stress on the bearings and they'll end up snapping mid-bend and we will die etc. etc. or we will spend loads of money replacing them.

What we have have been doing is contacting wheel manufacturers to create wider wheels (17F and 18R) but they keep letting us down :mad:

Is there anything we can do? I would try loads of different wheels but we don't have the luxury of being in the States, there is not one single supplier in the UK that is helpful and we can't just ship loads of wheels back when they don't fit...

If there are any wheel suppliers on the board i can give you all the measurements given from AP Racing!

Cheers,

-Rob

Rob,

Compare the measurements from AP to the Stoptech template and go from there, based on some of the troubles that I went through trying to find a wheel to clear the Stoptech caliper, it is one of the widest ones in use for the NSX, even wider than the Brembo Indy Caliper used on the Comptech Race BBK.

From what I recall the only caliper that is wider than the one that is used for the Stoptech BBK is the one from the Movit BBK which uses the Porsche Big Red from the 993TT.

BTW: I'm just wondering why go for a 6 pot caliper when most 4 pot calipers are good enough for the NSX for most track uses. You will probably end up spending lot's of $$'s purchasing custom wheels from Fikse, Kinesis, CWC, etc to clear the caliper. If you are planning to sell the 6 pot caliper as a kit, just be aware that the market for BBK for the NSX is not that big either, plenty of kits are available already.

You might also want to check with NSX-Racer who has been using the Movit kit which uses the Porsche Red calipers and he's been using spacers and he has also been running with slicks for a while and so far he hasn't had any problems with the bearings on his front axle. Perhaps your dad might have been referring to the wheels studs instead.

I'm not sure if you *really* need extra 30mm of offset on the wheel, it could always be that you need a wheel with better caliper clearance. You might want to also specify the width of the wheels that you are looking for as well.

Ken

Offset won't give you any clearance for brakes. That's a common misconception. You need to use a high disk application.

up2yu has a set of high disk Volk SF Challenge wheels. I'll try to take a picture with measurements and update this thread but there is so much room on that wheel for BBK. You could probably buy your AP racing brakes and put these really cool covers on them. Volk rates their disk applications A, B, and C. C being the highest.

2slow2speed said:
I don't think those will work without spacers, from what I recall Steven (NSX3.0) had to use some spacers to clear the Stoptech caliper when using the same sized wheels, maybe he can confirm.

That's right I had a custom 35 offset GTC 17x8 made and was told by Mackin it would work for sure to clear the Stoptech BBK. Well it didn't I still needed a 2mm to clear and it works fine on the street and the track with no issues. BTW my track rims are a SSR GT1 45 offset and fit the same they need the 2mm to clear.

2slow2speed said:
I don't think those will work without spacers, from what I recall Steven (NSX3.0) had to use some spacers to clear the Stoptech caliper when using the same sized wheels, maybe he can confirm.
The offsets on my GT-C's are different than Steven's. My fronts are 41 versus 35. While I haven't had them over anything but the Wilwoods, I can say there was plently of room left to spare. I could toss them over a set of Brembo's to check to see if they fit over those if need be.

Malibu Rapper said:
Offset won't give you any clearance for brakes. That's a common misconception.
Not necessarily true. A lot of high disk wheels actually give more caliper clearance with a lower offset wheel by adding more thickness to the backpad.
A good example of such wheel is Volk TE37.
Steve

KGP said:
The offsets on my GT-C's are different than Steven's. My fronts are 41 versus 35. While I haven't had them over anything but the Wilwoods, I can say there was plently of room left to spare. I could toss them over a set of Brembo's to check to see if they fit over those if need be.

Hi Gene,

I guess it all depends on where the extra 6mm went to, instead of tossing them on top of some Brembo's try printing out the Stoptech template and check, from what I recall that should work for the most part as long as the printout is 1:1 (ie actual size) +- 2/3mm or so. Maybe that will help Rob determine if his dad can use your wheels by comparing them relative to the Stoptech template and extrapolating from there to the AP caliper/rotor that they have.

Anyways just a thought.

Ken

Last edited:
Hey Ken,

Good thought. However:

A) As Steven knows, the template can be wrong when it comes to the real deal.

B) I can't imagine that Rob is interested in having me ship him some Volk's, considering what it would cost.

-GK

I'm not sure what you are asking about height or side to side clearance know as offset. I have 6 pot fronts and 4 pot on the rear. my new rotors messure
336MM and 32MM thick. if i can messure something let me know.

Well lets hope you are right Chris when it comes to working it out! I was wondering whats the lead time in getting custom wheels made up then? You can put the answer in the next e-mail you said me btw.

I'll try CCW and Kodiak if the Works won't fit, cheers.

-Rob

Back