• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

poor speakers

So i just bought it and got it, driving the three hours back home i turn on the stereo (hey, sounds so good without stereo why bother).

yep, after ten minutes passenger door speaker starts hissing and spitting like a cat in heat.

i am gathering from reading this site, i'm not alone in this problem. my toy is a 91 with 16k, so i wonder if there are newer model bose speakers that work better? My escalade has great quality (not nagamichi great) bose sound system that i play loud all the time--no problem. whats up with this nsx speaker deal?

Any suggestions appreciated. (love the car)

would welcome any advice and or comments about nsx ownership experience. i'm falling in love with mine already,bad speaker and all.

Hi Huckster!

Sorry to hear about your Bose speaker, but this seems to be a common problem.

There are some places than can fix the problem you mention with the Bose, just search the archives of this web site.

Rather than spending money fixing a system that sounds bad to begin with, why not put some better aftermarket speakers and amp in there instead? Dynaudio and Focal both make auto speakers that are far superior to anything Bose has to offer.

I love the NSX too, but the stereo is the one really disappointing thing about it.

BTW, In my opinion Bose makes some of the most overpriced home stereo speakers available. Do an A-B test sometime between Bose and a compariably priced PSB or Paradigm speaker. The difference in sound quality is dramatic.

[This message has been edited by BB (edited 20 December 2001).]

Thanks for the tip. so i gather you can do an upgrade without a blowtorch and baling wire. in the old section read something about major renovations, which i'd like to avoid.

where's the best place to get what you recommended? does it fit in the current stock setup? cost estimate?

thanks again, this seems like an excellent site with a ton of very cool and obsessive-compulsive people, hehe

Huckster: you can just replace the amp and speakers only, leaving the center console unit untouched. Visually, nobody will be able to tell you have an aftermarket stereo.

I have talked to 3 different trustworthy installers that have successfully installed Dynaudio System 240 in the NSX without any serious modification.

See http://www.dynaudio.com/products/car/2way.htm. The cheapest I've been able to find these for is around $550. They are considered to be audiophile quality and among the best car stereo speakers you can buy.

For amplifiers I've determined that Brax is best you can get. See http://www.audiotec-fischer.com. But you these are quite expensive-- expect to pay over $1000 for one.

If you don't want to spend that much money, then there's many cheaper alternatives that will still sound way better than the factory Bose system. Even something like Boston or MB Quart speakers and a cheap A/D/S/ amp would only run you about $500 plus installation and sound worlds better.

e-mail me if you want to talk further about this. I still have the stock setup in my car, but am planning on replacing it soon and have already done a lot of reasearch.

OR an alternate idea: Forget the stereo and put all the money into a noisier intake and exhaust. I have GruppeM for both those on my '91. On a nice day I keep the window rolled down and hardily listen to the stereo since the car sounds so good.
smile.gif

Juice: I've had a set of Paradigm Studio Monitors (the predecessor to the newer Studio/100 model) for about 8 years now and they have never failed to impress even after all these years! I just need to figure out how to get comparable sound in my NSX. Thus, the Dynaudio and Brax.

[This message has been edited by BB (edited 22 December 2001).]

Back