• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Porsche/Brembo Upgrade

I remember seeing some people on the front page of the Prime here and they had/were talking about their Lotus/Porsche brake upgrade. I know all there was to adapt it was the Caliper Holder and different hat. The Caliper and rotors are just the Porsche parts. Where did they get the New hat and Adapter for the Caliper? I want these.
ANYONE?

These are two different kits. The Lotus caliper kit uses the Lotus Esprit caliper, also just called the Brembo Lotus caliper. This also happens to be the rear caliper of the Ferrari F50 and the front caliper of the Dodge Viper. While the Viper uses the same caliper, since it has a thin rotor, the pads are made to a thicker spec.

The Porsche "Big Red" kit is available from Mov'it...maybe a couple others? These use a significantly larger pad, the D594, compared to the Lotus caliper, which uses the D592 pad. Both caliper systems are very good, but I feel the Porsche 993 TT caliper is better...mainly because of the larger pad area (your pads will last longer).

The Lotus kit is available from Dali Racing, and the Porsche Big Red's from Mov'it...or I think Andrie Hartanto has a hookup for them.

Consider the AP Racing kit from Science of Speed, which uses the AP Racing 5200 series caliper...a race-proven design. Or the TAROX 6-piston kit from Dali Racing. I've had the Lotus kit before, and currently use the TAROX kit.

Andie

The lotus brembo is significantly smaller and different shape. The Porsche one is similar in shape with brembo indy caliper (comptech powertec). The Porsche caliper utilize 33mm thick rotors compare to others with 28mm. The Porsche calipers has seals and designed to withstand everyday street use. I believe racing calipers will require rebuild a lot more often.

U can not just buy the caliper and rotors from Porsche and buy the hat and the bracket from someone else. The caliper will need to be machined to be able to take the bracket.

Bruce wakes up.
wink.gif
After slamming an extra +200 HP into the engine to run tens in the qrtr, he *finally* realizes that needing to stop fast is kinda important. Sorry, my favorite soapbox appeared and hey, I just had to step up.

Actually, with a set of machinist's measurement jigs and certified drawings of the caliper / rotor, one can determine the relative offset of the rotor hat pretty easy. But begin first by determining how far inboard the caliper can be mounted before interfering with the suspension.

Andy, andy, andy. You're almost as sarcastic as I am. Don't worry, I still love ya. (Like you were worried?)

I want a ride in your car soon. (When it stops raining) My friend Brad says he got a ride in your car and that with the torque of the whipple and the short gears, it was a pretty fierce ride. (Great for TWS I'm sure) I'm once again bored with Drag racing. I was just out to TWS and I MISS IT! Drag racing is just to simple. (unless a couple thousand horsepower is on hand) I'm heading back in the track direction. It's soooooooo much more fun.

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
The lotus brembo is significantly smaller and different shape. The Porsche one is similar in shape with brembo indy caliper (comptech powertec). The Porsche caliper utilize 33mm thick rotors compare to others with 28mm. The Porsche calipers has seals and designed to withstand everyday street use. I believe racing calipers will require rebuild a lot more often.

U can not just buy the caliper and rotors from Porsche and buy the hat and the bracket from someone else. The caliper will need to be machined to be able to take the bracket.

from a post to the NSX Tech list on 12/20/1999:

Call Brembo and ask them for rebuild parts for the Lotus cast calipers. They are not
available. You are basically buying a throwaway caliper. If you are not doing any serious track time and are not concerned with a rebuild in the future, go with the Lotus caliper.

Posted by Chris Nelson of Comptech

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

[This message has been edited by lemansnsx (edited 08 December 2001).]

That was a retarded comment for Comptech to make. They slant that fact to sound like it is a defect of the caliper. It is not rebuildable because it is not made to have to be rebuilt. Same thing with the AP calipers for street cars. The Lotus caliper is not made for race cars, but is designed to be low-maintenence for street cars. Do you hear Lotus Esprit, Ferrari F50, etc. owners pissed because they have 'throw away' calipers? I can tell you they WOULD be pissed if they had to rebuild their Indy calipers every year.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info

Back