• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pricing Help VIN: JH4NA1263WT00011

Hey All,

Year: 1998
Model: NSX-T
Color: Spa Yellow
Mileage: 170k
VIN: JH4NA1263WT00011

I was hoping the joint minds of prime could aid me in pricing/deciding if I should grab this NSX. It's got a bit of an interesting history, and I'm unsure how much it's worth and if I should get it or not. I've got a PPI scheduled with Mechanics Direct in Lowell, MA. They seem to be the place to go for NSXs in MA. If the PPI doesn't find anything major, I'd consider purchasing the car, but I'm unsure how much I should pay for it. He wanted 32k, and I was happy to pay that before I knew about the following details.

Three interesting things:
1.The car has been in 3 accidents. I actually uncovered this by searching the VIN on prime. What's more astonishing, the current owner seems to have genuinely not known about them because he didn't think to pull a carfax/autocheck when he bought the car. This means he likely overpaid

"I have had 3 small accidents a wheel hit the front driver side, I spun after hydroplaning and tagged the rear and a guy pulled in front of me. The last accident was very minor and i actually still have that front end at the house as it could be easily fixed but i wanted a different front end. The rear accident broker the spoiler, tail lights and bent the exhaust which i replaced with an anytime exhaust. First accident dented in the front quarter panel and the drivers headlight all was replaced and the car looks great. While only the portions that were hit were repainted the paint overall is in great condition with only some small dings from the road see the pictures that are recent 1 week old."

2. The dealership he bought the car from (ES Motorsports, Inc) didn't disclose the accidents, and was generally slimy. In fact, the owner of the dealership got charged with 80+ felonies for defrauding out of state car purchasers.
https://myfox8.com/2012/02/23/n-c-dmv-arrests-greensboro-car-dealer-for-charging-illegal-fee/

The thread on prime says that this dealer made some changes to the car before selling it : "he lowered it, put on new wheels, did some engine work, looks like he changed the front end and may have put in a new steering rack. " . Given this reputation, I wonder about the quality of this work.

3. Current owner has had the car since 2012, but it has roughly the same mileage

Before the recent inspection (5/13/2019), the current owner hadn't had once since 9/30/2013. He's only put ~350 miles total on the car since he's owned it. He claims it has just sat in his garage the whole time. An NSX with 170k miles isn't a garage queen, and it seems very strange that it just sat up. There was a non-functional Qvale Mangusta in his driveway when I came to look at the NSX.

Original prime thread with pictures and description of accidents:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/157896-1998-spa-yellow-VIn-JH4NA1263WT00011-Savanah-GA

Current pictures:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...&key=WHd1N0Y0cWlDVGl1Ty16U09BeWlhYk1DdXZCRmhB

You're bringing it to the right place, let them give you a comprehensive evaluations, and then people will be able to weigh in with better info.

Both are easily repairable. Price accordingly.

Steering rack can be refreshed by NSX Rack Repair. It has to be removed and shipped to Mississippi. I did this on my NSX and steering response is much crisper. Costs around $1500 with options, then there is cost of removal and reinstall. The suspension...many, many options. I did the low-end, which was new Bilstein shocks for less than $650 + cost of install.

Those things are not deal breakers IMO. The accidents...if the car is in otherwise good shape, $32k is a STEAL for a 1998 even with those miles. I have a 1999 with 80k miles and market price for that would be in the $60-65k range.

Last edited:
Both are easily repairable. Price accordingly.

Steering rack can be refreshed by NSX Rack Repair. It has to be removed and shipped to Mississippi. I did this on my NSX and steering response is much crisper. Costs around $1500 with options, then there is cost of removal and reinstall. The suspension...many, many options. I did the low-end, which was new Bilstein shocks for less than $650 + cost of install.

Those things are not deal breakers IMO. The accidents...if the car is in otherwise good shape, $32k is a STEAL for a 1998 even with those miles. I have a 1999 with 80k miles and market price for that would be in the $60-65k range.
I think you should go check out the excellent valuation Google doc. Between that and monitoring eBay sales, I can assure you it's not a steal. There is a similar car (automatic with a single accident) but with only 45k miles thats been put up on eBay 3 times now. It only got 37k , and it was in excellent condition. This car is by no means a steal, it's just cheap for an NSX. That being said it's cheap for a reason. I'll try to remember to upload a copy of the full report when I get home.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Back