• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Project Raw-dog: Wrap disaster - worst fear realized

20150613_212107.jpg

So I finally got up the nerve to start stripping the vinyl wrap off the NSX in hopes of perhaps salvaging the paint job underneath. Despite my best efforts (heat gun, pace, etc) though, well. .. you can see the result. In all fairness to the last person to prep/paint the car, it was actually the guy *before* him that screwed up, as there were two layers of base that came up. There was virtually no adhesion to the primer on that coat and once it got started, it was literally akin to removing a sticker from its wax backing.
20150709_085422.jpg
Not wanting to proceed, I simply licked my wounds and sanded the door down as best as I could, plasti-dipping it so I don't look like a complete douche (just the half as usual). Suprisingly decent match color-wise, but the textures are completely different; after a few weeks, the plastidip retains a very grippy rubber feel, while the wrap has always been smooth to the touch.

Anyways, in the meantime I threw on a pair of Downforce side splitters (I *highly* recommend them; they're *so* choice) from Teknotik, that will hopefully draw attention away from the overall package. In summary, looks like project Raw-dog will be staying in Mad Max mode for the foreseeable future.

That is a tough break man. Was the paint a respray? I have heard from most wrappers that original paint doesn't have this peeling issue but reprays do. Also, did you see any razor blade marks around the edges and seams you did pull? That could indicate hidden scratches on rest of car that you haven't seen yet due to an improperly done wrap.

Damn, sorry to see this. What plans did you have for project "Raw-dog"?

That is a tough break man. Was the paint a respray? I have heard from most wrappers that original paint doesn't have this peeling issue but reprays do. Also, did you see any razor blade marks around the edges and seams you did pull? That could indicate hidden scratches on rest of car that you haven't seen yet due to an improperly done wrap.

Damn, sorry to see this. What plans did you have for project "Raw-dog"?

Definitely a respray. In fact, this car has probably been painted 5 times (its a rebuild). Yeah, I can't see the same thing happening with a factory paint job. As for razor blade marks, I wasn't really paying attention, but either way, at this point, paint underneath is a write-off as far as I'm concerned.

Future-plan wise, I'm really not looking to pour too much more money into this thing as it's in pretty rough shape. I took it to our local NSX expert here in Canada and even he couldn't straighten out the all the seams and suspension. On top of that, the thing has been running funny ever since I did the timing belt and water pump there, (despite doing all the recommended things like coil packs, new plugs, etc), so the motor may be on its way out. As such, just going to try to keep it well maintained and enjoy it as long as possible as a daily beater. Maybe little tweaks here and there, but I don't think I'll be pouring too much more money into it.

Sad to hear of your misfortune, and also the rough condition of the car. An NSX should never be treated this way (5 previous resprays? OMG!).

I just picked up a set of DF side spiltters. How did you attach them? I'm hoping really good professional quality double sided tape will do the trick.

sadly this poor car looks to have had a long run of frugal unloving owners...

sadly this poor car looks to have had a long run of frugal unloving owners...

Yes. Approximately 12 if I recall correctly from the DMV report. So here I find myself revealing issue after issue, jumping from one to the next, doing what I can to make it right. Each time hoping the next leap will be the leap... home.

- - - Updated - - -

Sad to hear of your misfortune, and also the rough condition of the car. An NSX should never be treated this way (5 previous resprays? OMG!).

I just picked up a set of DF side spiltters. How did you attach them? I'm hoping really good professional quality double sided tape will do the trick.

Wow, I'm honored!! It's not every day that I have something of value to give back to such a knowledgeable community. I've always looked forward to the day when my role would be something more than simply parasitic. Lol. So FWIW, no I don't think the best double sided tape would hold in the long run. Here's how I secured them (using the tape to held them in place while drilling):

20150704_194604.jpg
Sorry if you're seeing the pic sideways too... I tried everything...

The holes I drilled were approx 1-1/2" apart. Enjoy your new splitters! :wink:

Attachments

• 20150704_194617.jpg
    20150704_194617.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
So tape and then double holes per attachment point for the zipties? I see we have a drifter here ;)

2015-07-09 13.40.01.jpg
Here's a clearer shot of the door in daylight. You can notice the difference in texture in the pic. If it doesn't even out after the summer, I'll likely re-wrap the doors, or simply just wait and save for the entire repaint.

Also included a shot with both Raw-dog and the Marlboro Man. Perhaps the last of them together... =( *sniff*

- - - Updated - - -

So tape and then double holes per attachment point for the zipties? I see we have a drifter here ;)

Lol. Hey, necessity breeds innovation! Besides, for me, the practice was started back in the days of tuning Golfs and Rabbits. I guess that makes me a dinosaur... =P

Attachments

• 20150706_194420.jpg
    20150706_194420.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Sell it to Shawn. He'll make it right.

Really? I didn't think any "true" NSX fan would want to touch this thing with a 10 foot pole. Unfortunately, but understandably, I feel the NSX community has a large contingent of insecure stepford-wives that try to snub their noses at everything other than the OEM 16/17" rims. Think about the two old farts sitting in the balcony of the Muppet show trying to ease their own suffering by their incessant, indiscriminate, denigration of Kermit and the gang, lol. While I can appreciate the heritage and historical value of the NSX (which is why I don't really drive my '96), I fear that some owners are oblivious to the principles that conceived the car to begin with: the desire to break molds, and kick ass. As a result, this NSX sat around off and on on Autotrader for like, 3 years. The people who cold afford this as a toy, simply passed it by like they would have some 19th century orphan on the sidewalk, while others simply couldn't bear to spend that much on, essentially, a 22 year old project car. I guess I fell somewhere in between. Right off the bat, I was told by some prime members that any money poured into it would be a complete waste from an INVESTMENT perpective (sadly the only angle some owners see). I agreed, knowing that the upper limit to a wrecked NSX is very low, meaning that almost every red cent put in is essentially a donation. Despite that, I do what I can, with my limited means, to try to bring this back to a respectable condition and do with it, as often as I can, what the original engineers designed it to do. And by that I DON'T mean simply having it pose beside us at wannabe Concours events pretending we rub elbows with the 1%'ers, with our thumbs you-know-where, asking each other if we have any Grey Poupon, and reminiscing about about days gone by. Although... that can be fun sometimes too, lol.

Last edited:
lol.

Really? I didn't think any "true" NSX fan would want to touch this thing with a 10 foot pole. Unfortunately, but understandably, I feel the NSX community has a large contingent of insecure stepford-wives that try to snub their noses at everything other than the OEM 16/17" rims. Think about the two old farts sitting in the balcony of the Muppet show trying to ease their own suffering by their incessant, indiscriminate, denigration of Kermit and the gang, lol. While I can appreciate the heritage and historical value of the NSX (which is why I don't really drive my '96), I fear that some owners are oblivious to the principles that conceived the car to begin with: the desire to break molds, and kick ass. As a result, this NSX sat around off and on on Autotrader for like, 3 years. The people who cold afford this as a toy, simply passed it by like they would have some 19th century orphan on the sidewalk, while others simply couldn't bear to spend that much on, essentially, a 22 year old project car. I guess I fell somewhere in between. Right off the bat, I was told by some prime members that any money poured into it would be a complete waste from an INVESTMENT perpective (sadly the only angle some owners see). I agreed, knowing that the upper limit to a wrecked NSX is very low, meaning that almost every red cent put in is essentially a donation. Despite that, I do what I can, with my limited means, to try to bring this back to a respectable condition and do with it, as often as I can, what the original engineers designed it to do. And by that I DON'T mean simply having it pose beside us at wannabe Concours events pretending we rub elbows with the 1%'ers, with our thumbs you-know-where, asking each other if we have any Grey Poupon, and reminiscing about about days gone by. Although... that can be fun sometimes too, lol.

Alan, that statement is untrue.

I like my OEM 17/17 wheels as well as the 16/17's. :p

Back