• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PSA: Hit and run on Hwy 9

Just in case you missed the news the other night... A pair of bicyclists were hit on Hwy 9 around 5:30 on Sunday. This is making the rounds in some of the other forums.

I know a number of us drive this road. Posting in case someone might have been out there, or possibly seen the car somewhere.

I've attached the text of the article below.

-Brian

Promising Cyclist Injured by Hit and Run Driver

SARATOGA, Calif. (KCBS) - Authorities are looking for a hit and run driver who ran down a young bicycle racer Sunday in Saratoga.
The young woman is fighting for her life in a San Jose hopsital.

24-year-old Ashley Jackson of the Alto Velo cycling team was riding in the bike lane on Highway 9 toward Los Gatos with her boyfriend and cycling coach, Dave Nelson, when Nelson said they were both hit from behind by a late-model, silver, 4-door BMW 7 Series sedan. "I can't even speak the words of what this person did," said Nelson. "You can ruin someone's life by one action and not even care to stop."

Nelson said it appears the car's right mirror clipped Jackon and knocked her to the ground. "The car comes flying through, by me, grazes me with the broken mirror, hits me with his broken mirror, kind of shocks you, wondering what he's doing. At that point, I have to turn around and see my girlfriend laying in the road. She's crumpled up and hit by this car." Jackson was knocked unconscious, with a broken collarbone and a serious brain injury.

Nelson said the driver slowed, briefly, then sped off. "I just don't understand what the conscious is of someone who could hit someone and proceed to leave on a felony hit and run. They don't know if they killed someone."

KCBS' Doug Sovern reports

Jackson is in intensive care at Valley Medical Center.

Authorities are trying to find that BMW with the broken side mirror.

This is sad.My dad died this past January by a volvo that hit him and took off on Blossom Hill rd 1 mile from home.:frown: They still cant find the person.

I saw the report a couple of days ago on the evening news.:mad: I use that portion of Hwy 9 quite often. I'll be on the look out for silver 7-series BMWs with broken passenger side mirror. The hit & run driver could have use this road regularly. This is the second time within the last 2 years where a cyclist was hit by a hit and run drive on that portion of Hwy 9.:confused: The other hit 7 run driver was arrested after another driver followed him and got his license plate.:cool:

This is sad.My dad died this past January by a volvo that hit him and took off on Blossom Hill rd 1 mile from home.:frown: They still cant find the person.

Dam, Justin. I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope they someday find that POS and the sooner the better.

J

Dam, Justin. I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope they someday find that POS and the sooner the better.

J

Ditto, I believe in karma. Someday that person will get what he/she deserves.

Thanx for the support guys.I do hope they find the people who do this things.I know its an accident and people are so afraid these days of being sued that they only think of there self and what might happen even thought it was just an accident.It sucks that us as people have to fear what others will do to us even if we didnt mean to hurt someone.It sucks that it happend to my family and we wish the person had stopped cuz were not the sueing type.But now we just wish the person to be cought just so they know they left someone to die. When all we would have wanted was a sorry I really didnt see him and stayed to try and get help.I wish the best for the people on hwy9 and hope Ashley Jackson recovers and is able and willing to keep riding.

thats horrible that someone hit them and didnt even stop. but what i dont understand is this; why do bicyclists think they are cars? why dont they just cruise on the sidewalk or in designated bike lanes? it would be a freak accident for someone to hit a pedestrian on a bicycle and kill them, but this type of story is becoming all to common. cars are larger, and more deadly of a machine. it would not be wise to challenge them. also, it makes for very hazardous situations for other motorists when they have to veer off into the oncoming lane to get out of the way of a bicyclist hogging the road. i just dont understand the logic of some of these bicyclists. no matter what vehicle you are piloting, you should ALWAYS think with your common sense and not go with what the "law" says is fair and reasonable.

I am sorry for your lost, Justin. That is suck.

I am riding my bike + using Cal-train to work 4 days a week. There are alot of aggressive drivers out there. One time, I was concentrating on climbing the hill, some idiots driving on a truck just speed up and start yelling out just want to scare the hate out of me. Too bad, the trick did not work.

Rude people suck.

+1 for kelsodeez!

It doesn't seem that the couple who got hit were those rude types but I've seen bikers be arrogant about their road entitlement. I have a feeling that they got that way because of having to deal with aggressive drivers, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating when you get stuck behind two bikers going two wide and taking up the whole lane. "Share the road" is a saying that goes both ways.

J

Back