• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about shipping US cars to Australia

My wife's father lives in Adelaide and had asked if we would might want to move to Australia. I had never thought of it before. So I am very intrigued by the thought of maybe moving to another country. I don't know any of the laws concerning cars from overseas. Hopefuly you might beable to shed some light on this.

Thanks

If you've owned and used the car for > 12 months in the US, and are moving to Australia on a permanent visa, you can bring it with you, this is known here as a "personal import". I believe it's limited to one car per person.

Unless it's a classic vehicle, you will need to convert it to RHD, which isn't cheap (if you have it done professionally) or easy (if you tackle it yourself). I believe there's an American living in Tasmania who brought his NSX with him, it's definately been discussed on Prime before so a search should find it.

The cost of bringing cars over, making them comply with Australian regulations (if needed), and doing RHD conversions needs to be weighed against the alternative of selling them and buying locally. If the car was relatively expensive in Australia or virtually unobtainable in Australia (so if it's a late-model Corvette, a Ferrari, or a NSX which you've put a LOT into modifying), I'd ship it, but it would be a lot of needless expense and time if it's a car that could be easily replaced in Australia.

More info is at:

Department of Transport
http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/safety/road/bulletin/importing.aspx#5.06

Speaking from personal experience, dealing with the Immigration Dept (DIMIA) is plenty of fun in itself without also dealing with the Department of Transport.

This forum is aimed at British moving to Adelaide, and I'm not sure of your exact circumstances, but you may find it a useful source of local info and immigration issues:
http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/index.php?act=idx

One last thing - my NSX is one of the very few personal imports in the country (but I didn't import it). A personal import vehicle will likely be harder to sell for a good price than one which has a full local service history.

Thanks for the reply, some good links. You wrote that your nsx was imported but you weren't the one who imorted it. What country was it from? and the car would have to be comverted to RHD? then it would be easier to sell it here and look for one over there.

Hi, mine was a personal import from Japan, complete with a couple of JDM mods that don't get much mention on Prime. So mine was RHD from the factory.

Yes, if it's the NSX you're considering bringing over, it would need to be converted. I think there is a new rule allowing unrestricted use of RHD cars, but only if they are > 20 years old.

I believe around 180 NSXs were sold in total in Australia, plus a handfull of personal imports. Obviously most of those would be NA1s, so the local supply of 95+ T-top models such as yours is extremely limited.

Due to this and the fact that the list price of a 2005 model was ~US$190,000, used NA2 models are still very expensive here - if you can find a suitable one in the first place. So - if you would be happy with a NA1, it makes sense to simply buy another once you're here, but if you want a NA2, importing might be the best option.

OzzieJohn said:
Hi, mine was a personal import from Japan, complete with a couple of JDM mods that don't get much mention on Prime. So mine was RHD from the factory.

Yes, if it's the NSX you're considering bringing over, it would need to be converted. I think there is a new rule allowing unrestricted use of RHD cars, but only if they are > 20 years old.

I believe around 180 NSXs were sold in total in Australia, plus a handfull of personal imports. Obviously most of those would be NA1s, so the local supply of 95+ T-top models such as yours is extremely limited.

Due to this and the fact that the list price of a 2005 model was ~US$190,000, used NA2 models are still very expensive here - if you can find a suitable one in the first place. So - if you would be happy with a NA1, it makes sense to simply buy another once you're here, but if you want a NA2, importing might be the best option.

OzzieJohn is right on about everything above except its 30 YEARS for unrestricted use of RHD cars...but either way, that wont help you.

If your moving and want to have an NSX, you have 2 options...sell and buy one here, or bring yours over and have it converted. Either way its going to cost you $$$. NSX's (and most other cars) are EXPENSIVE here, so be prepared for sticker shock!! Google used cars australia and do some comparisons. look for NSX's and other cars for how much more they cost.

I imported my 95 for a couple of reasons..
1) No selection of NSX's
2) I wanted to keep my mods
3) I know my car and history
4) Selling my car and buying one here would have cost me more. (shipping my NSX only cost $600 because it fit in our container)

I did the move a year ago from So Cal to Sydney!!!
Do your comparisons, check to see if your eligable to import and If you decide to move to Adelaide and want to ship your NSX, let me know and ill guide you thru what to do.

NemesisX said:
OzzieJohn is right on about everything above except its 30 YEARS for unrestricted use of RHD cars...but either way, that wont help you.

You might want to check to see if this is still the case... It was a couple of years ago... But if you register the car in Western Australia (WA) you don't need to convert to RHD at all!

Western Australia is right next door to South Australia... :wink:

AU_NSX said:
You might want to check to see if this is still the case... It was a couple of years ago... But if you register the car in Western Australia (WA) you don't need to convert to RHD at all!

AU_NSX is right about that...WA (Western Australia) doesnt need to be converted!! Know anyone there???

I believe it also applies to the ACT (Canberra), LHD cars were able to be registered there when I lived there (which was quite a few years ago). So, a contact in Canberra could also be useful, if you or your father-in-law has any. Or any US military contacts, wherever they are....

Converting from LHD to LHD would require a lot of work, and if it was mine, I would rather leave things as they were from the factory, than risk electronic, steering, brake, etc problems through conversion.
I trust the original engineers who buit my car in their purpose-designed factory a whole lot more than almost any after-market shop, or indeed myself.
:biggrin:

OzzieJohn said:
Really? I would have thought the "LHD to LHD" conversion you mentioned would be a pretty straightforward job :tongue:

Cheeky bugger... You know what he meant... Lol! :biggrin:

AU_NSX said:

I think you would need a mailing address in WA though. Registration only good for 3 Months in another state. For example they won't let me have Tas Address for Registration in WA. Insurance may also be the next problem.

In Tas they let me have 3 months registration to Drive LHD because my Tag was still current in the US. Although they wouldn't register it once the 3 months expired?? (there's logic there somewhere)
However Shannons insured me with no problems being LHD??

Nemesis, Did you convert yours to RHD?

whrdnsx said:
I think you would need a mailing address in WA though. Registration only good for 3 Months in another state.

Yes that is correct. You do need to have an address in WA to register your car there. It is the same everywhere. I register my cars in Queensland (as do some other NSW NSX guys) because it is cheaper and there are no annual inspections.

As for that address... You either need to know someone in WA who can forward you the registration rewnewals when they come every year or you can just get a PO Box in WA with a re-direct... :wink:

As for that address... You either need to know someone in WA who can forward you the registration rewnewals when they come every year or you can just get a PO Box in WA with a re-direct... :wink:[/QUOTE]

Not sure on the PO box for other States, Not allowed in Tas, In case the Police have to locate you.

`

whrdnsx said:
Nemesis, Did you convert yours to RHD?

I did!!! ill throw up some pics when I take them and when the car is clean!!!...AND when I find the time between drives!!!

Re: `

NemesisX said:
I did!!! ill throw up some pics when I take them and when the car is clean!!!...AND when I find the time between drives!!!

Please tell me more!!!

Where did you have it done? Did you use new or used parts? What sort of time for the labour was involved?

I think this is a pioneering event! I don't know of this been done before! wrdnsx was part way through his changeover before he was re-called back to the States... So as far as I know, your the first!

So please share with us all you can!

Thanks

Re: `

NemesisX said:

Bugger, thought I would be the first to complete this project. Hat's off to you!

Any info & pics for us would be appriciated.

Does this confirm what I was thinking, a lot of the components can be "moved accross" with just the Firewall being the only major modifiction?

I thought I would vist this today and see what every one has said. I have been checking on the prices of the used cars down under. OOOHHH CRIKEY they are higher than I thought they would be. The prices of full size trucks is mind blowing high. Can any one afford the sports cars and or trucks??? I really appreciate all the help. We are still planning on visting and then see how we feel about a possible migration to AU.
On a totally different note, I am a big fan of The Angels rock band, just wondering if any of you might be also. I understand that they are kinda touring the country with out Doc. Have you heard any thing about this.

Thanks again

Welcome down under... good luck with immigration. Unfortunately Australia is a tough country to immigrate too.... we're so busy worrying about bringing in "genuine refugees" and their 30+ relatives that legitimate people with real skills and abilities have a hard time. :rolleyes: But if you get here, this is the BEST place in the world to live. :biggrin:

NeoNSX said:
Welcome down under... good luck with immigration. Unfortunately Australia is a tough country to immigrate too.... we're so busy worrying about bringing in "genuine refugees" and their 30+ relatives that legitimate people with real skills and abilities have a hard time. :rolleyes: But if you get here, this is the BEST place in the world to live. :biggrin:

Very true NEO, but its EXACTLY like US immigration....easier to "migrate" thru the Rio Grande than proper channels!

NorCalWhite, Cars are MUCH more expensive here than in the states...some full size trucks are in good demand here as my converter is so busy converting the Fseries fords that he has a waitlist!
If you need any questions on immigrating or what to bring/not to bring let me know....oh but wait, your a NORTHERN CALI person....hmmmmmm...

Ill still help ya!! LOL:biggrin:

Another alternative would be to go to the UK, buy one there. Registering etc in the EU (the UK follows EU rules) is easy and after a year you can take it to Oz as a personal possession.
My friend registered a car in his name in the UK and he was there illegally (no visa). Used my address there. He still drives the car around but has trouble with insurance because he doesn’t have a UK driving licence.
But there is a system there whereby you can have the car in your name, but “taken off the road” (SORN).
So then the car is yours in your name, your personal property, you just don’t drive it (also then you are free of road tax, well, anyway, no big deal its only £250 per year)

UK NSXes are not especially expensive or anything…and are RHD of course.

This system would not work in other EU countries because of the “sign in” system, but anyway the steering wheel would be on the wrong side for you…

Also, when I was last in Oz, I noticed a few LHD cars. They all had REALLY big ugly signs on the back saying “CAUTION- DANGER EEK: :eek: This car is a Left Hand Drive Vehicle. It will eat you if you get too close” or something like that.
Is that still the case?

In the UK there are many LHD cars and trucks on the road, they are not a problem, no signs on them or anything.
What a world…

Back