• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Quick Detailer

Anyone have a recommendation as to what quick detailer is best to use? I don't wax my car, only use polish. Are any safe to use with a polished vs waxed finish? Thanks!

I like Griot's Garage Speed Shine. Clean, shiny, doesn't streak too bad, a little goes a long way, and it smells good.

Eagle "Wipe and Shine": Used to use others but bought some of this in a pinch at Wal-Mart instead and now I dont 'use anything else. A couple mists of spray a thick microfiber towel wipes off road and brake dust,freshens the shine and leaves NO residue. I also use about a half bottle it to do a two step waterless wash. I buy it by the case.

why do you polish your car and then not wax it?

Yeah, this sounds like a quick route to thin and unprotected paint.

I simply use Meguiar's Quik Detailer or Ultimate Quik Detailer with a microfiber. Griot's is quite good too, but costs more.

Yeah, this sounds like a quick route to thin and unprotected paint.

I simply use Meguiar's Quik Detailer or Ultimate Quik Detailer with a microfiber. Griot's is quite good too, but costs more.

I use Finish First and apply multiple coats. Why would you use a polish and then go behind and wax?:confused: Seems to me that you would use one and not the other. I know a guy who restores/paints corvettes and he refuses to use wax on any of his jobs.

Anybody use a california duster...for light dusting?

I have one...but am afraid it could lead to swirl marks.

I use Finish First and apply multiple coats. Why would you use a polish and then go behind and wax?:confused: Seems to me that you would use one and not the other. I know a guy who restores/paints corvettes and he refuses to use wax on any of his jobs.

Polish is an abrasive and strips away anything that was protecting the car. Basically liquid fine grit sandpaper. One waxes after polishing to protect the refreshened surface. I suppose it's fine to use just polish if your car is never exposed to a) sun, b) rain, c) dust or d) pretty much any particulates, ever. Otherwise I would stick with the recommended wash/clay/polish/wax, while minimizing the polish only to the times I absolutely need it.

i use finish first, and autoglym rapid detailer, smells of bubblegum!

got a california duster too, had it for years, works great without issues! you're dusting, not scrubbing!

Anybody use a california duster...for light dusting?

I have one...but am afraid it could lead to swirl marks.

I have one but no longer use it. I think it is fine if you're using it only to remove say... pollen or garage dust off a few panels of the car (roof, fenders, hood, trunk or something). I have made the mistake on a previous car of using it on 'lower panels' that also pick up road grime (doors, bumpers, etc.) and that caused scratches I had to work out later.

Regardless if one uses a microfiber or a car duster, I think whatever you use on the upper body panels should be separate from whatever you are using on the lower panels. So far this has worked out for my daily-driven/parked outdoors NSX.

+1 to what FF Drifter is saying about separating upper and lower cleaning materials
Easy way to keep it straight: store upper car stuff on upper shelf, lower car stuff on lower shelf
I replace lower car towels, dedicated wheel stuff, etc more often than uppers
This may sound really anal to some folks... the point is that it keeps the spiderwebs and swirls away
which means less polishing required, which saves your clearcoat which is the GOAL: glossy,shiny clearcoat :)
(this is especially important on early red NSXs since the clear is tinted and when it thins you end up with an orangish-red car)

my process: wash/clay/polish(very rarely)/sealant/glaze/wax
its is not a quick process, takes time and patience, and I like the results

Lucas makes a very nice spray-on detailer/wax that I found at an Auto Zone. I have found that any instant detailer seems to work well if used on a very clean and well-prepared surface.

Lucas makes a very nice spray-on detailer/wax that I found at an Auto Zone. I have found that any instant detailer seems to work well if used on a very clean and well-prepared surface.

I agree. The level of quality product you see at stores now is so much better than what was offered even 8-10 years ago.

Back