• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rant about the cable company

I am so pissed. I called the cable company to see if I could buy a Legal box from e-bay and use it in my home. They said it would be fine to do so. I already have cable signal and pay for all the channels available. I have eight TV's in my house but not all have their own boxes. I want to get the premium channels that I already pay for on the third floor of my house but I need another box. So, I bought a box from e-bay took it to the cable company to have it programmed. The lady tells me that I can ONLY RENT the box that they are not for sale. So I ask if there is a chip that needs to be changed in the box, she tells me that it will only work if she types the serial number into her computer, what BS. How can they do this. It seems that it would be a monopoly to do so. They are charging me six bucks a month for something I can buy for 50 bucks. If I put a box on every TV it would be 48 dollars a month. If I were to buy the boxes I would be back to even in 10 months. Does anyone here know any FCC rules or laws on this subject. If so could you please post a link to point me in the right direction.

Not for sale?

Ask her what they would charge you if you failed to return it when you closed your account. You can be sure it wouldn't be for free.
I had this same issue come up before while closing my account. I asked her this same question and when she quoted me some figure around $150 I just had her add it to the final bill and kept the box.

I'm a lot more relaxed since I stopped watching TV, I cancelled my cable at the end of racing season.

Most cable companies are still stuck in the monopoly mindset. In fact, many are still monopolies - my local cable company has a monopoly contract w/ the town and their customer service reflects this. Try DSS...

I am convinced it is a conspiracy. I called the DSS satellite people to see if it would be cheaper to get satellite TV instead. As it turns out they too will penalize
me for needing more than 1 TV in the house. I would have to buy eight receivers, which I do not mind. Here is the part that sets me ablaze, I have to pay a mirror charge of 4.99 per month for each additional receiver.

Well the DSS people are now looking to become a monopoly too - Echostar is trying to buy DirecTV. Oh well!

Back