• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Read first - HD Crew: HD DVD or Blu-Ray?

The battle over HD is far from over. If you really want to buy products that are buggy at best, be my guest. Wait until LG or others produce quality dual format players.

If you have a DVD collection and want to have upconvert to 1080p then you really need to look into this DVD player.

The Helios H4000. $144

HERE

helios_h4000_03.jpg

-It can upconvert to 1080p, (depending on the native resolution of your projector or HDTV.)

-It is one of two players that can upconvert via Component. The Denon DVD 5910Ci is $3999.00
(Yes, the H4000 has HDMI as well.) *It also can have HDMI & Component running at the same time and switch between the two!

-It will play all sorts of media, unlike most DVD players, (DVD-r/DVD+r/DVD-rw/DVD+rw/SVCD/CD/MPEG, etc.)

-Will play any burned disc you make on your computer.

-The output selection is second to none. (HDMI/Component/Composit/S-video/Toslink optical audio/cable audio/DVI, etc)

-It has "Smart play", (Skips right to movie upon disc insert. Every player should have this.)

If you don't want to wait until the HD DVD war is over and have lots of regular DVD's you want to watch in quasi HD, then look at the Helios h4000.

*I have one and, no I don't sell 'em.

Review click HERE

The feature package of the Helios H4000 DVD player includes:

1. Single tray DVD player with DVD-Video, DVD+R/+RW/-R/-RW, Divx, CD/CDR/CDRW/CD-MP3/HDCD/WMA and JPEG playback.

2. Built-in video processor/de-interlacer for upscaling to 720p/1080i/1080p.

3. 1080p output via HDMI and Component. HDMI and component outputs can be used simultaneously.

4. Component connection resolutions - 720p,1080i and 1080p.

5. VGA/RGB-HV connection resolutions - 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 480P, 720P, and 1080i.

6. Digital optical, digital coaxial, and two sets of analog audio outputs (2-channel and 5.1 Channel).

7. Supports both Dolby Digital and DTS pass-through; built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoder option.

8. Switchable NTSC/PAL output (Including 720p, 1080i, 1080p) - automatic PAL/NTSC bi-directional conversion. NTSC 720P/1080i/1080p support at 60hz. PAL 720P/1080i/1080p at 50hz.

9. DVD Region Code Free.

A lot of DVD players can up-scale via Component

The Helios and Denon are probably the only two that will just do it, the likes of the Samsung can with a firmware hack, while others just can't do it via component at all

Personally I don't like up-scaling DVD players, either way your TV is going to do the up-scaling for you so why get something else to do the job that your TV is already more than capable of doing?
I'm not saying they are bad or useless I just don't really like what they do to the picture of DVDs, playing DivX stuff like Top Gear or TV Eps they are do a fairly decent job... But i would put that to some normal DVD players just suck decoding DivX

But that Helios looks really nice and the skip to start of movie on the Denon will completely justify the $4000 price tag, well almost :(
Just noticed that it has some controls on the top of the DVD player, probably not the best place for it if you're going to stack anything on top of it

Back