• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Real world gasoline mileage

Out of curiosity, I was wondering how many miles per gallon are NSXers ACTUALLY getting. I just did a work up for my 2000 NSX-T's first 3000 miles and found out the following:

I'm averaging 16.5 mpg

Best between fill-ups: 20 mpg (includes a round trip to Santa Barbara)
Second best between fill-ups: 18.3 mpg (includes a half-day of Canyonball Run IV)
Worst between fill-ups: 14.5 mpg

I'm not terribly surprised about these results as the NSX is my daily driver and MOST of my driving comes from a 5mi drive between home and the office (all on surface street, nearly always in traffic).

I'm just curious to know how these numbers compare with others' experiences.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 03 August 2000).]

I get about 22.xx mpg. This includes 60% highway, 40% traffic.

My best was 27mpg, first tank of gas when I got it and was learning to drive stick. Before I knew how to downshift ;-)

Worst 19mpg, about a month after I had it and learned only to shift at redline.

My 95 NSX-T 5 speed has 7,000 miles, I use 98 octane only, and tire pressure of 40 psi in rears and 35 psi in fronts (Dunlop SP9000s). It averages 22 mpg. If I drive it hard and in town with many shifts up to redline, I get 20-21 mpg. My best on a 200 mile drive was 23.4 mpg. It's a truly amazing efficiency, especially when you compare it to other performance exotics, like the Ferrari for example. When people admiring my car skeptically ask me "...but what about gas mileage....?" and I tell them "22 mpg", they literally don't believe it. It must be the Zaino's polish!!!!!

OH, HOW I LOVE MY CAR!!!!

NSXY

I'm impressed. I'm now wondering if there's a significant mileage difference between the 3.0L 5 speed and the 3.2L 6 speed NSX.

Or maybe I'm just going for a few too many quick launches per tank!

I use 92 octane (Chevron)...and , for the most part, I drive very conservatively.

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 03 August 2000).]

I have averaged 23 MPG on my first 2 tanks(have only had the car a week and a half).

------------------
92 Red/Blk

On my 3.0L 5spd I get AT LEAST 20mpg. And that is some serious driving. Many many downshifts and generous amounts of gas.

On my drive up from California I got 26mpg consistently for all 1000 miles of the trip, but that was ALL highway miles.

Around town only and hard driving gets me 18mpg.

On a long trip, I get 26-28 mpg. I went 450 miles on one tank and filled it up with 16 gallons.

Around town in mixed driving, anywhere from 18 to 22.

On the track, 9-11.

I have a '91 with OEM A022H tires and pressures. The car is stock except for a chip and brake pads and rotors.

Others should note mods which could cause fuel economy degradation and should also note if they're using tires with non-OEM outer diameter sizes because this could cause an error in their speedos and odos.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 03 August 2000).]

Speaking of mods and fuel economy. Did anyone notice better mileage after installing an intake, headers and exhaust? or just any one of the above. I heard that exhausts increase the mpg. I have a K&N drop in and RSR exhaust but didn't notice any increase in mpg. However, I drive it alot harder now than before I had these mods and the mpg remains the same.

My car is a stock 92 5spd. I drive about 50/50 hwy/city. And do drive it pretty hard at times.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

Oops! Joel Z. caught my typo above. I only use 92 Octane, not 98. Sorry...

NSXY

Thanks for the cute comment Marc...

I'm also wondering what role the AC is playing in my mileage. Except for when the top is off, I ALWAYS have my AC on. For my next tank, I'm going to see how long I can last without the AC (of course, right now it's been pretty damn hot around here).

I just filled up my 91 (Bone Stock) for the 2nd time. This was my first full tank since I bought the car 2 weeks ago. I had driven 405 miles since the last fillup, and put in 15.50 gallons!!! Thats just over 26 miles per gallon!!!!! about 300 of those miles were highway ~75mph, with the ac on. the rest were fairly tame city miles. I find that to be absolutely exceptional for a car like this!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Steve

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
On a long trip, I get 26-28 mpg. I went 450 miles on one tank and filled it up with 16 gallons. Around town in mixed driving, anywhere from 18 to 22. On the track, 9-11.

I have a '91 with OEM A022H tires and pressures. The car is stock except for a chip and brake pads and rotors.

I have a '91 with intake, headers, exhaust, chip and get about the same mileage as nsxtasy reports.

Back