• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rolex 24

I watched the first couple of hours of coverage and the Honda-powered prototypes were doing very well. The commentators mentioned that as a result of rules changes, the Hondas were now running 3.5L motors. Are these similar to the new motor in the NSX? If so, this could help benefit from further R&D $$ in the future

Bob I know I'm probably going to catch hell for this how are the Ford GT's doing have a good race Great fisheye

i-gJKwbVK-XL.jpg

Oh, heck, I missed you

Dang it, I think you mentioned to me something about you attending the Rolex but I have the world's worst memory. Or maybe I'm remembering that you told me you were going when you mentioned no such thing. Either way my memory sucks.

Really disappointed that I didn't post that I was going to be there, or knew (or remembered) you would be there. Would have been great to get together. I still owe you a dinner. LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

On to discussing the actual race, it was nice to see Honda power win a 24.

I was rooting all over the place this race. I have an affinity to Mazda, so while the 70 prototype dropped out early, the 55 was actually on the top of the standings for at least a while. Too bad both were DNFs. Then the Delta Wing was flying, "Elan / Mazda" powered, and was in the lead, and provided an interesting alternative to "usual" prototypes. Then it crashed out (was crashed out?). I know there were some grumblings that IMSA should have called for a full-course caution for the car that ultimately was crashed into by the Delta Wing, but I didn't see the incident nor any replays. (We couldn't see around the buildings right at Turn 1 from our vantage point in the grandstands.)

Then I was rooting for Scott Pruett, of whom I've been a fan since I saw my first pro race live back in the '80s. I remember him winning a GTO race (I think it was GTO, but it might have been Trans Am) in Miami, and talking to fans outside the podium, not leaving until there wasn't anyone who wanted to talk with him. I thought that pretty classy, and have followed his career ever since.

I also like to root for the Taylors, don't particularly know why.

And of course anything with Honda power. Like I say, I was all over the place this year. Oh, yeah, also have a soft sport for Ford. OMG, I saw the white GT in the infield at the Ford display. "Wow" is the only word I can think of to describe the car in person. Just "Wow". Hmm, sell the rental house, sell the NSX, sell the Track Rat, sell the '94 Miata, sell the dogs (J/K!), tap the 401k and get one . . . . just like that white one. . . . and HOPE it appreciates. But it's starting at a pretty high list price, from what I found in a cursory search, somewhere around $400k. Still might be worth it.

Fun weekend!

Last edited:
I watched the first couple of hours of coverage and the Honda-powered prototypes were doing very well. The commentators mentioned that as a result of rules changes, the Hondas were now running 3.5L motors. Are these similar to the new motor in the NSX? If so, this could help benefit from further R&D $$ in the future

From HPDs site:

"Both the ESM and the Shank entries utilize the production-based 3.5-liter Honda HR35TT V6 engine, developed for competition by HPD from the Honda “J35” series of passenger vehicle V6 engines, with improvements including twin turbochargers. Key production-based components include the block and cylinder heads, direct-injection fuel system, valve train components, drive-by-wire throttle, alternator, sensors and fasteners. The engine even utilizes a stock Honda oil filter."

I love that Honda pulled off the overall win at the Rolex. After years of being a 911 owner and rooting for the Porsches, it will be great to follow the Patron car this season.

Dang it, I think you mentioned to me something about you attending the Rolex but I have the world's worst memory. Or maybe I'm remembering that you told me you were going when you mentioned no such thing. Either way my memory sucks.

The only NSX we saw (brooklands green) was parked in the back of the Grassroots Motorsports corral on sunday. If the owner is anyone here, I was the one with the blue Maserati in Grass Roots all four days.

The only NSX we saw (brooklands green) was parked in the back of the Grassroots Motorsports corral on sunday. If the owner is anyone here, I was the one with the blue Maserati in Grass Roots all four days.

Ack! I visited the GRM center three times over the weekend. Left the nsx at home drove the pilot.

who rents mazers? you fancy thing....

who rents mazers? you fancy thing....

National does. I am an Executive member so generally I take whatever car I want for the price of a subcompact and some locations have an option to upgrade to nicer "toys". This time they offered me either a Maserati or an orange ragtop vette but Don and Poohkie were bumming a ride with us from the airport so I took the Maserati.

.ah so waffle house was stop #1 ...........:biggrin:

lol heart shaped and everything...........he's a hopeless romantic..............:biggrin:

Love that windshield banner...

Attachments

• LegierHondaDaytona.jpg
    LegierHondaDaytona.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 34
From HPDs site:

"Both the ESM and the Shank entries utilize the production-based 3.5-liter Honda HR35TT V6 engine, developed for competition by HPD from the Honda “J35” series of passenger vehicle V6 engines, with improvements including twin turbochargers. Key production-based components include the block and cylinder heads, direct-injection fuel system, valve train components, drive-by-wire throttle, alternator, sensors and fasteners. The engine even utilizes a stock Honda oil filter."
Tks for that. But IIRC, the NSX 2.0 engine is not based on the J35 and if that's true, then any gains they make with the platform this year likely won't find their way back as improvements to the 2.0 engine. Also, IIRC from the coverage, the other entry (Shank) had an engine failure about 6 hrs in.. so kind of weird .. one engine goes 24 hrs & wins the race .. the other one fails not too far in.

Right, that was my point, it's not based on the new NSX engine. Still impressive that a production-based engine wins the Rolex (I know it's not the only example).

Back