• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S. Florida guys, need help bringing my 996 home to DC!

Hello all, I just purchased a like new 1999 Porsche 996 located in the Palm Beach Gardens area. My first inclination was to have the car put on a flatbed or carrier w/ a lift gate. I got quotes from 2 reputable companies, Horseless Carriage & Passport--both want about $1,000, more than I'd like to pay for same-coast transport. Since labor day is just around the corner, I'm thinking about rolling a little vacation in by getting a one-way ticket w/ a friend, partying down there & driving back up Sunday or Monday. I just want to hear your thoughts on whether or not driving a 996 that distance is advisable as far as wear & tear vs. fun factor vs. $$ savings ratio.

Also, if I decide to drive back, should I get an invisible bra installed down there & any recommendations on who does a good job in that area?

thanks for your opinions,
Eddie

QWKSLVR said:
Hello all, I just purchased a like new 1999 Porsche 996 located in the Palm Beach Gardens area. My first inclination was to have the car put on a flatbed or carrier w/ a lift gate. I got quotes from 2 reputable companies, Horseless Carriage & Passport--both want about $1,000, more than I'd like to pay for same-coast transport. Since labor day is just around the corner, I'm thinking about rolling a little vacation in by getting a one-way ticket w/ a friend, partying down there & driving back up Sunday or Monday. I just want to hear your thoughts on whether or not driving a 996 that distance is advisable as far as wear & tear vs. fun factor vs. $$ savings ratio.

Also, if I decide to drive back, should I get an invisible bra installed down there & any recommendations on who does a good job in that area?

thanks for your opinions,
Eddie

The distance shouldn't be a problem, but the weather might be. As of today the central-northern part of Florida may get smacked around by Hurricaine Frances this weekend. So, if you can put off the trip by one week I think you'll have no problem.

As for the wear and tear on the car. It's going to happen no matter what so why not just enjoy the car and drive it home. I've driven cars across the country and up/dowm the coast many times and haven't regretted it one bit.

Congrats! I had a 996 and it is without question a car I could have driven the length of the earth with and it would not have been too long. As long as the car is in the apropriate mechanical condition, drive that baby! As far as bad weather, that's another story. If you are new to those cars, make sure to check the oil very frequently, especially on the way home! :D

Congrats again on the purchase!

I agree that a road trip is the way to go, nothing better than the open road in a new sports car with a good friend.

Bring your CD's a map some spending cash and have a great time! :)

If you do drive it back, I would defintely invest in a bra of sorts. Driving back and forth last year on 95 between DC and and Raleigh (school) put more than a few decent sized dings on the front end. It was especially bad right outside of Richmond/Ashland area with all the construction. But I think driving it back to VA would be a great trip and a chance to get to know your new toy :D Good luck with everything and take care.

Conor

Back