• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Safe shipping passage to NSXPO'10

26 April 2001
Columbus, Ohio
Need your help.

The LoveFab truck will be coming down from Traverse City for NSXPO. There appears to be two logical paths to reach Vegas, but I'm looking for the safest one. One starts in Albequerque and goes through the mountains, the other in Denver then heading through the mountains. The first only adds 3 hours to the overall trip, considering where my starting point is.

So which mountain passes are the safest for a rig hauling 4 cars. If the northern passes have more snow or ellevation changes, it might offset the 3 hour advantage of going through Denver. LMKASAP!

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Traverse+City,+MI&daddr=Las+Vegas,+NV&hl=en&geocode=FbEHqwIdaIjl-indKdrXsjIeiDEhVnQ_P9y_Rw%3BFdYQJwIdMJoi-SnRffWkgre-gDGjebPV5tXMOg&mra=ls&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.729049,92.724609&ie=UTF8&ll=40.43851,-100.29855&spn=8.65118,29.76812&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=Traverse+City,+MI&daddr=Las+Vegas,+NV&hl=en&geocode=FbEHqwIdaIjl-indKdrXsjIeiDEhVnQ_P9y_Rw%3BFdYQJwIdMJoi-SnRffWkgre-gDGjebPV5tXMOg&mra=ls&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.729049,92.724609&ie=UTF8&ll=40.43851,-100.29855&spn=8.65118,29.76812" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Traverse+City,+MI&daddr=35.19528,-101.85392+to:Las+Vegas,+NV&hl=en&geocode=FbEHqwIdaIjl-indKdrXsjIeiDEhVnQ_P9y_Rw%3BFZAJGQIdINXt-Snx0i12rk8BhzHxOZBoUWzWyA%3BFdYQJwIdMJoi-SnRffWkgre-gDGjebPV5tXMOg&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=6&via=1&sll=37.527154,-104.941406&sspn=9.962344,23.181152&ie=UTF8&ll=40.413496,-100.327148&spn=9.962344,23.181152&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=Traverse+City,+MI&daddr=35.19528,-101.85392+to:Las+Vegas,+NV&hl=en&geocode=FbEHqwIdaIjl-indKdrXsjIeiDEhVnQ_P9y_Rw%3BFZAJGQIdINXt-Snx0i12rk8BhzHxOZBoUWzWyA%3BFdYQJwIdMJoi-SnRffWkgre-gDGjebPV5tXMOg&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=6&via=1&sll=37.527154,-104.941406&sspn=9.962344,23.181152&ie=UTF8&ll=40.413496,-100.327148&spn=9.962344,23.181152" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
Last edited:
I have never taken the north rout. But I have taken the southern rout many times. You will get into altitude around Alb and arounf Flagstaf. You will notice a power loss while climbing. During this time of year the northern rout could get more weather. Last night Durango got about a foot of snow. There is a front heading east right now. The front is staying north. New Mexico is going to have VERY HIGH Winds Today As High as 70MPH.
Juice, we got to see your car last night on the trailer......wow does it look good and of course should really haul the mail!

Let's hope both Cody and Tim (driving his NSX) find safe passage on their way to NSXPO.....

Three of us are planning to leave Denver tomorrow morning. So far we're planning to take the I-70 route, but might have to go south (HWY 161) if the weather is too bad. It started snowing in the mountains last night and should stop tonight.

Right now web cams are showing just wet roads except for around Eisenhower Tunnel (slushy, based on traffic flow from video feed which I can't get link to) and Vail pass (little bit of snow pack).

East to west web camera stills of the worst stretches...
(these illustrate a 46-mile contiguous stretch including two passes)


At this point we're still planning on the I-70 route hoping it won't get much worse and will be cleaned up nicely by the time we are going through there tomorrow (Tuesday, 11am-noon). If you're coming through on Wednesday I'd say you're likely fine.

Anyone heading through CO to NSXPO feel free to call me at 970-227-7444.
Last edited:

See you guys soon! I-70 it is.
When (day/time) would you be rolling into Denver?

Looks like one of the passes has had chain restrictions since 8am and the other since noon. (Chain restriction means that commercial vehicles like semis must chain up.) If it doesn't improve by tomorrow this route is looking a little less likely for us.

FYI, we're planning to stay the night in Torrey, UT because we're making a 2-day thing out of this and doing some sight-seeing on the way. Here is the alternate route for us if I-70 is too bad...and it is considerably longer (seeing this I'm again really motivated to take the I-70 route...even if it means slow going in snow).

If you get to Denver and decide against I-70 for safety/passability, I think it is only 4 hours longer to go down through Albuquerque (than to take I-70)...shorter and more-advisable than our alternate route. Based on your 3-hour difference in routes this would only add one hour compared with you starting out toward Albuquerque in the first place.
Last edited: