• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Safelite replaced my cracked 02 Nsx window (pics)

Safelite replaced my cracked 02 Nsx window on friday. They came to my office, and were very professional. Here are some pics of the work in progress, and finished.

Beginning, glass removed:
DSC07333.JPG

Another angle :
DSC07334.JPG

The van that the installer came in:
DSC07335.JPG

New window installed :
DSC07336.JPG

Now, overall, for $203 for the window, and labor, AND taxes, I was most impressed with their professionalism. The only thing im not happy with is that the installer at one point put the papers for me to sign on my car, and began writing on the papers on my car (I immediately made him stop using my car as a clipboard). Also, for some reason the mirror is loose on the mount to the windshield, and even though the installer worked on it for some time, its still somewhat loose and vibrates while I drive. I am going to work on that a little bit more later.

Anyways, just wanted to share those pictures. I was a little reluctant to use this glass other than Honda glass. I made a post asking about other peoples experiences with glass other than Honda glass and no one posted any information. So, this way if anyone else has any questions in the future, this post will now be here for future reference !

Cory

I was just about to document this like you did for my appointment in a week to get my front glass replaced. I do have a question, how do they get the side trim pieces off of the car? Does the paint on them get damaged in any way? I more worried about that than them slicing my glass out! By the way, I got you beat on price, done deal for $100 with oem glass. :tongue: Like a good neighbor, state farm was there!

Was the $203 the entire cost, or was this an insurance repair? Also, how do they transfer the registration stickers? Do they carry duplicates, and just put on a new one?

comquat1 said:
... By the way, I got you beat on price, done deal for $100 with oem glass...

I have you beat. :biggrin: I paid $0.00 for an OEM windshield which Safelite replaced for me 3 years ago.

comquat1 said:
I was just about to document this like you did for my appointment in a week to get my front glass replaced. I do have a question, how do they get the side trim pieces off of the car? Does the paint on them get damaged in any way? I more worried about that than them slicing my glass out! By the way, I got you beat on price, done deal for $100 with oem glass. :tongue: Like a good neighbor, state farm was there!

Im not sure how the installer removed the side pieces, but they were not damaged after the new window was put in.

$100 w oem glass, wow, your so cool. This was not a thread to brag about how little, or how much we all paid for our glass, it was just to show that fitment was good, and service was excellent.

Follow up: traveling today in excess of 90+ mph on the highways I had no noises, no problems.

rbirling said:
Was the $203 the entire cost, or was this an insurance repair? Also, how do they transfer the registration stickers? Do they carry duplicates, and just put on a new one?

rbirling, $203 was the total cost, I paid for this out of pocket with no insurance coverage for this glass.

Both of my stickers were expired, and I had my new car registration sticker with me that he put on for me. I need to have inspection done again though.
They do have special tools to remove the older stickers and transfer them, however if you can time the replacement of stickers like I did, thats ultimately the best way to do it !

Modernceo said:
$100 w oem glass, wow, your so cool. This was not a thread to brag about how little, or how much we all paid for our glass, it was just to show that fitment was good, and service was excellent.

I was joking, that's what the big grin signified.... :rolleyes:

DocL said:
I have you beat. :biggrin: I paid $0.00 for an OEM windshield which Safelite replaced for me 3 years ago.

Well, i guess you are officially cooler than me now! :tongue:

My car is in the shop as I write this waiting for a new OEM windshield and OEM trim kit. Thus far 2 Honda OEM windshields have arrived and were both cracked when un-boxed. Now awaiting the 3rd..... Oh well.

I have used aftermarket glass in some of my cars, daily drivers mostly, and from my experience I believe the non-OEM is more easily scratched, pitted and chipped. For the NSX I asked for OEM and it was approved, thank you Allstate, out of pocket cost for me, $100.

Looking forward to seeing clearly.

modernceo, who makes the glass safelite used? there's no way it could be OEM for that price. i could only find one company that wasnt oem that did nsx glass when i had mine done (xyg or xgz or something like that...) but the problem was that company didnt have a VIN cutout, it looks like your glass does. i'd be curious to know if there's another vendor that does nsx glass.

Wahed it or gotten it wet yet? Any leaks?

I really dont see what the big deal is with regard to whether it's OEM or not.Honda doesn't make the glass anyway,it's contracted out to a supplier.Just because you pay Honda's rip off prices for the glass it doesn't mean its any better.Most people don't think twice about putting non OEM wheels/exhaust/suspension/clutch etc etc etc on their cars.

For those who got "great deals" on your window replacemet, consider this:

I used insurance to have get a free windshield replacement on a BMW a few years ago. Two years later, I am getting insurance quotes on a Maserati (GEICO wouldn't cover it at the time). My estimated insurance rate almost quadruples once they run my "claims" history. I spent a few days trying to clear up the issue since I did not have any claims. Then the "ah-hah" moment...I asked what the claim was for and sure enough...the windshield replacement.

Even though I explained to multiple insurers what the "claim" was for, they wouldn't budge on the significantly higher rates. I ended up threatening GEICO to move all of my insurance (home, car, umbrella, property) to another company and they made an exception to cover the Maserati.

Something to consider. If I have to replace a windshield again, I might just pay for it out of pocket.

jaytip nsx said:
I really dont see what the big deal is with regard to whether it's OEM or not.Honda doesn't make the glass anyway,it's contracted out to a supplier.Just because you pay Honda's rip off prices for the glass it doesn't mean its any better.Most people don't think twice about putting non OEM wheels/exhaust/suspension/clutch etc etc etc on their cars.
Very good and accurate point. When I have people call me asking for OEM glass, I can either order it from the manufacturer or local glass shop.
There are a couple of exceptions with FMC glass. Mustangs and F-Series Super Duty's and Harley's Davidson's trucks have logos on their windshields that are only gotten thru Ford. 99.9% of the time, the customer wants that exact replacement too.

WeakestLink said:
Something to consider. If I have to replace a windshield again, I might just pay for it out of pocket.

At least they can't pull that in MA (which is why Geico doesn't operate in MA). MA law requires insurance companies to give you one windshield per year if needed free, no deductible, no surcharges.

robr said:
At least they can't pull that in MA (which is why Geico doesn't operate in MA). MA law requires insurance companies to give you one windshield per year if needed free, no deductible, no surcharges.

FL does the same thing. I'm not sure as to how often you can do it though.

of course we pay for it in the end since MA law also sets max price insurance companies can charge, so everyone charges max. no competitiveness, insurance costs everywhere are the same (though some will give things like 10% discounts on some portions for AAA and other stuff, but it doesn't amount to much in the end)

robr said:
of course we pay for it in the end since MA law also sets max price insurance companies can charge, so everyone charges max. no competitiveness, insurance costs everywhere are the same (though some will give things like 10% discounts on some portions for AAA and other stuff, but it doesn't amount to much in the end)

Nothing like that here. There is a big difference in prices between carriers for the same policy. :confused: I'm looking to change cause I think I'm paying more than I should and know that if I were to get into accident, my carrier in known for using a/m parts to repair cars. I don't like that.

Safelite has good installers and mediocre ones.

OEM glass on the NSX is more expensive because it is made to the engineering specs. that Honda requires for it's function on the NSX, not a general safety spec. and just to fit the aperture like most a/m glass is.

It is a well known problem that glass handling is difficult and breakage is a factor in OEM pricing.
OEM glass is of a higher quality that is not to say that you can't get a nice glass from a vendor like Safelite or Triumph. The more savvy, truthful Safelite vendors will acknowledge the superiority of OEM glass.
Trying to "ripoff" is not part of the pricing equation.

My local Safelite vendor does not suggest using anything but OEM on the NSX because of the inconsistencies inherent in non-OEM glass.

Nice pictures.
Cory, NSX glass installer paparazzi! :biggrin:
I can imagine you in a delivery room when a baby is born. :tongue : Your wife is gonna love you.

WeakestLink said:

I used insurance to have get a free windshield replacement on a BMW a few years ago. Two years later, I am getting insurance quotes on a Maserati (GEICO wouldn't cover it at the time). My estimated insurance rate almost quadruples once they run my "claims" history. I spent a few days trying to clear up the issue since I did not have any claims. Then the "ah-hah" moment...I asked what the claim was for and sure enough...the windshield replacement.

Even though I explained to multiple insurers what the "claim" was for, they wouldn't budge on the significantly higher rates. I ended up threatening GEICO to move all of my insurance (home, car, umbrella, property) to another company and they made an exception to cover the Maserati.

Didn't your claim fall under "comprehensive" as opposed to "collision?" In Michigan comprehensive claims don't affect your rate at all.

Good point. I guess it should fall under comprehensive but I'm not sure how they classified it. I spent a few days fighting Geico over it and finally gave up. I didn't think it would even qualify as a claim at all.

What is that they put on the back of your car? Tools? Why did they have to set that on the vehicle?

NSEXCESS said:
What is that they put on the back of your car? Tools? Why did they have to set that on the vehicle?

It appears they are on a pad though. I have put fender covers on the trunk of mine before and left tools and engine parts on it for several days without any issues.
Now if they hadn't put something on the car first......

Thanks for the great headsup! I was looking to replace my windsheild for a loong time for a rock chip but didn't jump on it because it wasn't in view plus the rediculous prices.

Back