• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shift knob for automatic

Hey I know I'm one of the few with an automatic.... but I'm looking for a smaller shift knob than the standard one. I'd like to find something similar to what the 360 Modena has for a shifter. It's small almost like a switch. I can send a picture of one I took when I was in Italy if that would help.

Does anyone know where I might start?

Hella old thread but relevant to my interest. I like the TSX/TL automatic shift knob and feel it might be a great visual upgrade for my Auto NSX. Does anyone know if we can go buttonless? If not, any other recommendations for smaller, newer designed, shift knobs?

Thanks,
Asif

DSC01963.jpg

I have seen an auto NSX with an aftermarket shift knob installed, so I know it can be done. The one I saw was a small,round knob with the button on top. I will try to find the pic. and post it.

i'm guessing the gate type AT is where the lever is moved across to get past the safety lockouts...

whereas the NSX uses a button to get past the lockouts... the shift lever needs a downward push on the centre shaft to desengage the lock mechanism (the side button on the NSX knob pushes a ramp across which in turn pushes the shaft down.)

a knob with a top button would work, or with a bit of hot rod ingenuity a sliding knob could be worked out with no button!...

hth

I have a shift knob from an '04 TL in my '94 auto NSX. It looks similar to the photo Asif posted earlier except the transition from leather to silver is not at an angle. A machine shop made a new center shaft for my shifter with the only change from the OEM part is that the top is threaded to accept the '04 TL knob. As Britlude stated in place of pushing the button to move the shifter I now just push down on the knob. I don't have any pictures I can post today but I may have some at work I can post on Monday. I might still have the drawing which the new center shaft was made from. I also changed the silver plastic cone at the bottom of the knob to an aluminum piece.

I have a shift knob from an '04 TL in my '94 auto NSX. It looks similar to the photo Asif posted earlier except the transition from leather to silver is not at an angle. A machine shop made a new center shaft for my shifter with the only change from the OEM part is that the top is threaded to accept the '04 TL knob. As Britlude stated in place of pushing the button to move the shifter I now just push down on the knob. I don't have any pictures I can post today but I may have some at work I can post on Monday. I might still have the drawing which the new center shaft was made from. I also changed the silver plastic cone at the bottom of the knob to an aluminum piece.

If I pay you can you have another one made? I been wanting to use the Acura One in the pic above but didn't know if it works or not.

Sorry it took soo long to post this information. I wanted to give a good description of how I made the change. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Baynsac, Sorry I couldn't find my original drawing for the custom inner shaft. I took my shifter apart during the winter, when I wasn't using the car, and took the OEM inner shaft and a few dimensions to a local machine shop. They copied the lower portion of the OEM shaft and made the top part as I wanted. If the attached pictures aren't clear I can email a larger file to anyone who wants it. Just let me know.

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 382
  • Slide2.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 356
  • Slide3.jpg
    Slide3.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 337
  • Slide4.jpg
    Slide4.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 340
I had a neat shift lever in my old Acura Legend Coupe...was a bit big and clunky, but always got "wow" comments from people...at least back in the day....the upper left corner of the attached pic...gave the impression of a "stick" in an automatic....:cool:

?
Sorry it took soo long to post this information. I wanted to give a good description of how I made the change. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Baynsac, Sorry I couldn't find my original drawing for the custom inner shaft. I took my shifter apart during the winter, when I wasn't using the car, and took the OEM inner shaft and a few dimensions to a local machine shop. They copied the lower portion of the OEM shaft and made the top part as I wanted. If the attached pictures aren't clear I can email a larger file to anyone who wants it. Just let me know.

Nice!! I am really not handy enough to do this. ANYWAY you can make another and Sell it to me? I would really apperciate it. You should change your auto shifter outside like mine. I have a NSXR one and LOOKS GREAT!!! I will post pics of it later.

Back