• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I replace my '94 w/ 168k miles with a '15 BMW M4?

Been daily driving my '94 for the last 7 years, and in that time happy doubled the mileage. It hardly ever breaks, it has gradually gained value, and the insurance is really cheap. It's been a great bang for the buck, and considerably cheaper to run than anything in the same league of "coolness". But lately I've just been wanting something faster, roomier, more practical, and newer without the squeaks and rattles and rock chips. Cupholders and a speaker setup from this century sound nice too.

The M4 is the first on the list, although all the ones I'm looking at will be just out of warranty. However from owner reports, the drivetrain is pretty bulletproof and nobody has had any significant mechanical issues. I DIY'd all of the minor repairs on the NSX and it doesn't look like the M4 would be that much more difficult. Still, I'm calculating the a roughly 80%-100% increase in total cost of ownership over the next 5 years, or around $350/month more than the NSX, primarily due to depreciation and increased insurance costs.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I have both (F80 M3) and as good as the M3/M4 is, I would keep your NSX around for as long as possible. If you have the means and the room, prolong the M purchase until you can have both. That aside, the M4 is one of the best "do everything" cars that you can buy. The platform has proven to be reliable. I am still covered via warranty but I have had zero issues with my M3.

The M4 is a very nice car. I say, do it and never look back. Time changes. Things change. People change.

I’ve been thinking of selling my car. Just dunno what else to get... Might wait another year or two and get a 2017 nsx.

Generally I can understand that after such a long time you desire something "new".Especially if you are driving it daily. If it is a good decision or not, you will see after you did it.I would be more than happy with either a viper or a AC cobra BUT as additional car not instead of.This is - as of now - not possible moneywise for me so I will wait TILL it is possible.Selling the X is not an option for me

I'm actually perfectly fine with that after 7 years on the shore.

No more people coming up to me and asking what my car is and how old it is and whether or not it's fast.
I used to daily NSX for about two years. I noticed, while fun at times, it made it less special. Then there was more stress worrying about clueless drivers damaging it. M4 is great machine, but if I may suggest, keep NSX and get something like GTI or alike. I know it's a personal taste but next time you take NSX for a drive/long trip you'll be smiling and creeks won't bother you. It would be special occasion, as it should be. Good luck.

Here is a slight twist to consider...

Background Info:
At one point in my life, I had 2 sporty cars. The fun car was lightly tuned for track use. The daily had all of the amenities. It was more comfortable, more powerful, roomier, and even had the things you mentioned such as cup holders and premium sound system. Perhaps my growing age became a factor into me driving the daily more. With all the feature that the daily had, I had a better time driving it and got my "fix" most of the time because it could handle the occasional fast mountain roads. The fun car became a garage queen because it was less practical and life got in the way of more track times.

Summary:
As any car enthusiast would say, keep/get both the NSX and M4. After owning your nsx for 7 years and doing all/most of the maintenance yourself, you know all the in's and out's of the car. Especially since you daily drove it, you know it is in tip top shape. That is really valuable and worth keeping. Just be warned that the M4 might fulfill all your needs and the nsx might become obsolete and less driven.

Suggestion:
Perhaps try to rent a M4 and go for a weekend getaway. Try rental sites such as turo.com See if the M4 fulfills all your needs. If it does, you can confidently sell your nsx without regrets.

Perhaps XRC can comment further since he has both a M3 and NSX.

Last edited:
haveblue,

If you have any other specific questions just let me know. Again, if you have the means, keep your NSX. If you only have the room/ability to keep one car around, the M4 is a great choice, you won't be disappointed. I recommend a extended test drive in one.

Do what I did..... Keep the NSX and get the affordable M4, a nicely used CPO F32 M-sport

After selling two previous NSX's and regretting it every time, I vowed to keep this one as long as possible.

I started looking for a white 428i M-sport like six months ago and finally found the "one" a few weeks ago. Drove out to Phoenix and picked up a minty mint 2015 CPO white on black 428i M-sport with only 9145 miles on her. I basically got a $50,000 car for over 40% off sticker and still have two years unlimited miles of warranty left.:biggrin:

Test drive one, you will be surprised how peppy a lil twin turbo four banger can be.... You can also add a jb4 piggy back tune and get over 300hp for like $800

I'm in love with this car so far..... and already enjoying a new project with some mods.

40223624695_640a522830_k_d.jpg

40081870525_56d3b8e84e_k_d.jpg

40217914834_e0670deefc_k_d.jpg

Last edited:
I'll apologize in advance for this...but do any of you BMW guys know much about M5's? There are a few for sale on bringatrailer.com that are interesting. I wouldn't sell my NSX for one, just buy it for a daily driver. Thoughts? Thanks.

I'll apologize in advance for this...but do any of you BMW guys know much about M5's? There are a few for sale on bringatrailer.com that are interesting. I wouldn't sell my NSX for one, just buy it for a daily driver. Thoughts? Thanks.

They are an absolute beast!!!

But make sure to make good friends with your local BMW mechanic :biggrin:

Have had 2015 M4 vert and sold it. Missed it a great deal so just bought 2018 M3. Love the car, but would not replace nsx for the M. Both are so different in so many ways. Now have a 2017 nsx and still would not let the old go. Get a comfortable DD and keep the X!

Back