• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spring Mountain Porsche Club HPDE Nov 15-16

Sandra and I had an awesome time at our first Porsche HPDE with our NSX. The next one in November. If both of us can do it anyone can :tongue: I highly recommend you at least do the Saturday event as a first timer. They give you classroom and behind the wheel instruction before taking to the track. We were all slow at first but by the end of the day we were driving more confidently. Still not even close to the advanced groups but again if we could do it and keep up there are no excuses for any of you not to try it out.

I believe the $175 spent for one day was the best modification I could ever do on my car. I feel so much more confident now. I highly recommend ALL OF US do this because you learn so much about your car and most importantly about your self. The Porsche guys are known as being very strict and they are. We felt very safe and you will too. They had specific places for people to pass and were very strict to enforce aggressive drivers (to some of their displeasure) so that everyone was safe and could have a fun time. They stress a tech inspection but we did not do one. I did my own and made sure the tread was good on the tires, I changed the oil, checked brakes and fluids, tire pressure and torqued lugs nuts and took out loose stuff from the interior. There is a simple sheet that we filled out at the track and then we passed tech easily. The main concern is that you don't have big leaks and that your car is maintained.

Let's try to get a big NSX showing. No excuses, you can even rent a helmet at the track!

SpringMountainMotorsportRanchTrack.jpg

Here's the info and CLICK ME TO REGISTER

Sat-Sun, Nov 15-16, 2008 - Las Vegas PCA and SCCA Driver's Ed Track Event at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump. Track opens at 7:00am and the mandatory Driver's Meeting is at 8:00am. Las Vegas Region Porsche Club of America and Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) present Open Track Days Nov 15-16, 2008 at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch. If you are interested in working as an Instructor, please contact Tony Zito (702) 521-9966. Gates open at 7:00am. Cost is only $299.00 for 2 days or $175.00 for 1 day (less than last year). At Track registration fees will be $225 for one day, or $350 for both days. Timing is available with transponders for rent at $30/day. We will be running the 3.1 mile layout. Certified high performance driving instruction will be offered free of charge, so beginners and novices are also welcome! If this is your first time on a racetrack, please read Drivers Education to see what you will need. You will need the proper helmet, and you will need a technical inspection of your car. Technical Inspection at the track is designed to capture only the obvious visible problems. The real responsibility lies with the owner prep and evaluation. Don't bring your car if it isn't safe! We highly recommend that you have your car inspected free of charge at Carl's Place, Premier Sportscar Service or Renegade Hybrids prior to the event and avoid the early morning tech line.

For more information and to register see The Flyer. Mail completed form along with a check payable to "LVRPCA" to: Tony Zito, 9692 Dancing Pond Way, Las Vegas, NV 89178. Or click "Events" to register online at the Store: Signup and Pay Online.

Last edited:
I will most likely be there running my Thunder Roadster I store at the track. I usually have one or two extra helments(XL) in my garage(number 16). Look forward to meeting some of you at the track.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 272
I think I will go as well. I will have a nice set of track tires by then. Count me in as well!

Keep them coming. Again, it's the best mod for you car = the driver!!

1) silverneek (Nik and Sandra)
2) Ties
3) nsxalot (Lance)
4) NoXqcs
5) VegasSpeed (Ryland)
6) yes you!!!

Last edited:
For those that didn't get a chance to meet me on Saturday my name is Ryland. My story is I almost bought a 97' yellow/onyx back in February. The deal went South and I ended up buying this instead. I may still get an NSX when the time is right and the price is right. VegasNSX got me in tune with the program around here. I know FactorX Motorsports fellas and they got me into the modded NSX as well. Chances are if you see a Blue Dinan 3 badge around town it is me. I just got my first speeding ticket Sunday too :( It sucks but I will give to my DA friend.

Last edited:
Do we have a final count? I will be pitting up top by the club house at garage 16, more than likely I will drive the NSX to the track. Anyone is welcome to come up and say hello, I can show you around the club house etc. I also keep complete tools and there is air right next to my garage if you have the need.

Anyone want to wager on fastest lap time?(just kidding)

Should be a fun weekend.

The main concern is that you don't have big leaks and that your car is maintained.

Nik,

I don't understand what you mean, "big leaks"? NSX's never have leaking problems.

Lance

I'll be out there to help a guy who is new to track day events. He's an LDL Speed Shop customer w/ a Civic B18C5 swap, big brakes, and a good suspension setup. I hope he has fun. :biggrin:

Nik/Sandra,

Are you two going to come out to drive, or perhaps be a spectator like me? :smile:

Lance,

I’ll see you there. :cool:

Can you go for just Sunday? I am going to the UNLV game on Saturday so I can't make it that day.

T'was my 3rd visit out @ Spring Mountain but 1st since the renovation. Track was in phenomenal condition. Tried a little 'drifting' during the skidpad exercise(which is a no-no) but is a necessary part of understanding the mechanics of car control. This was followed by 3 laps with an instructor driving to show you the course and his interpretation of the 'ideal' line. There were 2 instructional classes in the a.m. for the beginner students. I opted to check out the race cars and the new clubhouse. A free barbecue lunch was sponsored by SwitchCars -- a dealership specializing in really fun cars (they even had 3 GTRs and a yellow NA2 NSX!!). After lunch I had 2 twenty minute track runs, one with Jeff (a great instructor from the Porsche club who signed me off to drive solo), and the 2nd run following our very own Lance, who drives so smooth and is quite fast as a result --( I just love looking at the NSX in action-- at the track were it belongs!!) It was a safe day for all the participants, and we all got just a little better with our driving skills. Hope more folks from NSXLV can make it to future events, even just to ride shotgun with some of the more advanced drivers/instructors at the very least. Here are some pics to give y'all a taste of the day!!!:smile:

Attachments

• DSC03150.jpg
    DSC03150.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC03158.jpg
    DSC03158.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC03164.jpg
    DSC03164.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC03166.jpg
    DSC03166.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC03181.jpg
    DSC03181.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC03187.jpg
    DSC03187.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC03204.jpg
    DSC03204.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC03205.jpg
    DSC03205.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC03206.jpg
    DSC03206.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 52
Lance is a cool dude. I went up there and loved it. He was my instructor for the last session I did. Lance also gave me a ride in his car while we did the red group. That was impressive to see how the NSX does with Track running time. That is a good way to see how impressive the frame is on that car. He had nice tires too. Lance did think once I got rid of my run flats that I could hang with him nicely. I had the acceleration but the turns killed me since my suspension and tires suck.

It was loads of fun! I think everyone should go. I saw Virgil, JD and Lance there. I met a lot of cool people of all car owner types. All of you should go next guys and gals. Lots of fun.

Virgil, put up the pictures of my car man!

Oh, Tony Zito hooked me up. I could only really go for Sunday so he charged me for one day but let me do the class Saturday morning and then go home and come back for all day Sunday for $175. It was a steal honestly. Greatest 200 bucks I have spent lately.

Last edited:
OK Mr. Ryland. It was great seeing you there and your enthusiasm was evident!! Sorry I messed up the pic with your whole car. Here you go...

Attachments

• DSC03168.jpg
    DSC03168.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC03169.jpg
    DSC03169.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 54
Virgil, You da man! You guys all have fleets of cool cars. That old M3 hauls ass on the track. One thing I learned is it isn't about how much hp you have but whether you can control it on the corners. Now just because your car can do it doesn't mean you have the balls to get it done.(sorry ladies) There was a vette in my group that just didn't want to drive his car very hard. He missed out. In fact I work with him at SWGas so I will be chatting it up with him tomorrow. So you have to learn to trust your car when its tires are screaching and telling you, "I am not holding on much longer!!!" and keep pushing it. Ties lost his car on turn 8 I think in the afternoon today. I didn't see what happened. That white car hauls some ass. Man, that was fun!

Hey Silverneek, what group do you run with when you guys go out there?

Well if you want to know what happened, I actually ran out of gas. I thought I could stretch the 5 gallon fuel cell for two sessions but I was a little off in my calculation. I at least knew where to park it when I ran out so I did not mess up anyone's fun.

It was a lot of fun running with all those cars, I drove 15 sessions during the weekend(7 1/2 hours on the hour meter) and I am actually a little sore today.

That was nice. I saw two different lines you used. I will review this before the next track day. I may have some questions.

I like to think it took you 8.56 to pass me. Lance

Those Radicals and Cobra Replicas are damn fast on the track. Ties's car is pretty fast too.

Back