• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Suggestions for good sushi in Orange County, CA?

Learned this from a doctor from Japan who only treats Japanese nationals working in OC.

Koi, Seal Beach, on PCH.

This is truly exceptional without the Matsuhisa prices. Just sit down and tell the chefs to make you something special. I promise you guys this will become your favorite sushi place.

John

Off Topic...

I'm visiting Alhambra/San Gabriel/Arcadia this week... any suggestions for a good sushi place here or close by?

good sushi really depends on how much you are willing to spend.

I agree with Jason about Ikko being pricey, my dislike with Ikko is that they (sushi chef) decides and determine how much soy sauce you need; hence some of my food becomes way too salty. Bland tasting fish like Engawa, Hirame, Butterfish, can use some ponzu, but what's with drenching my Hamachi in soy sauce :confused:

My suggestions

In OC
- Tabento (must try: Hamachi Hara, Hirame, Amaebi, their Toro can be on and off.)
- Kaisen (great for lunch and dinner, good value and decent quality. must try: Hotate sushi, Uni sushi, Rice paper hand roll)

LA area
- Sasabune (slightly pricey, but very delicate. must try: everything)
- Sushi gen (best deal, must try: lunch special (M-F) sashimi plate)
- Hide (fair price, must try: Amaebi, Scallop special, Toro, Otoro, Ankimo)
- Akasaka (must try: nigiri special) This is the one in Hacienda Heights, Akasaka in Walnut is a fake.
- Rokuan (must try: Uni sushi. for true uni lovers, they stack their uni sky high)

Calabasas
- Shibuya (decent price, has a constant array of oddities)

And of course there is Ursawa in BH, but that's for another topic. :smile:

I would really add Taiko to the list for OC. I have been going there for the past 20 years. Best price for the food. However, must sit at the Sushi Bar to get the best experience and portions. Off course, the wait is about 1 1/2 hours. The best way is to get there between 4 to 4:30, and you should be in the first shift when they open at 5. Otherwise, go there right before 5, put your name down, and come back 6:30 for the second shift.

I totally agree with Otoro on Sushi Gen and Hide in LA. They are the only places that I go.

Well In orange county, the best place i have had Sushi is at a place called
Daimon. Its either in huntington beach or seal beach. Its right off of PCH. The Sushi chef is an avid fisherman and knows how to choose the best fish from his suppliers, so there is a huge adavantage to taste there. On top of this, if you are bringing guests that do not like sushi, they also have a huge list of other great dishes. Above all, there is always "girls night out" girls there, so you will always get a handful of loose women, haha. After 7pm every night, they have a DJ spinning very mellow music, its a great place for people ranging from 22-45.. great place

Back