• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SUPER IMPORTANT!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE go and read about the MOSS-MAGNUSON ACT.... http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty/undermag.htm

You will NEVER have another problem with your service department saying "Well because you put in the chip or exhaust, or intake, or whatver..it isn't covered under the warranty"

The Federal legislation is geared for the consumer in such a way that it forces the service department "warrantor" to prove in a court of law that your modification was the result of what ever problem you might have had.....no more battling it out with the dealership...take a copy of the law down with you...they know it exists...I did it when my 96nsx-t check engine light came on...they said it was the aftermarket chip and I had to pay....I showed them the law and to make a long story short...they fixed it for free no questions asked....

IF AT LEAST JUST GO TO THE SITE PRINT IT OUT AND FILE It AWAY FOR THE FUTURE

You missed the point of what the Moss-Magnuson act is all about. It is not in existence for the reasons that you are mentioning/hoping. It was simply enacted to propery disclose what coverages there are in a warranty...To take the guess work out and give it definition. It is for retailers to cover their butt in that if it doesn't say it's covered then it's not covered. Also, to market warranties better. As far as getting a dealer to warranty equipment that has been modified with aftermarket parts by mentioning the Moss-Magnuson act, it's not likely. In fact, I would just laugh. It's like trying to get out of a speeding ticket by citing the Wade v. Roe case. It really has nothing to do with what's going on. Now on the bright side, most dealers will certainly try to warranty your work.(aftermarket parts or not) But for other reasons///////MONEY. I don't understand why many people think that a dealer wants to charge them as opposed to warrantying the work. That doesn't make sense. It is a pessimistic, 'poor me', ignorant attitude. The world is out to get me..... OF COURSE a dealer would rather warranty it. Easier, better CSI, usually more money as a book tells them the amount to pay which is usually more than a dealer will charge a cust.

------------------
Todd Arnold
NSXotic.gif

http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

Originally posted by mattchu:

The Federal legislation is geared for the consumer in such a way that it forces the service department "warrantor" to prove in a court of law that your modification was the result of what ever problem you might have had.....

Okay, I read it, but I sure don't see any language supporting your claim. About the closest I can come after reading the act is that if you have some type of warranty claim and you take it to court, you can recover fees and legal costs, provided YOU prove your point.

A few things to consider:
If you purchase something that has a written warranty, which in the case of a car that is what we are dealing with, you have the right under this act to be provided the warranty in writing. This gives you the ability to read and understand it before you make your purchase.
So, if you understand it, then make the purchase, you have in essence agreed to the terms of the warranty.
It seems that there are all kinds of victims out there today, and by trying to use some warranty act to reverse what you have already agreed to just isn't right. My guess is that when you used this act to "get your way," the dealer simply didn't want to fight you, or maybe, they valued you as a customer. Dealers get a bad rap about service, and have done a good job bringing that on themselves, but we don't need to give them reasons why they should dislike and distrust consumers. They have plenty of ligitimate beefs from other customers!

Maybe I missed something in this warranty act (I'm certainly no legal scholar), and if I did I apologize.

where did you read a copy of the M-M act...? I have it at work of course, but haven't seen it any other place....

You can read it here.

Nsxotic:
Can you give us some examples of where the warranty/modification areas are black and white and where some turn gray? In other words, where does a dealer cut someone off on a warranty claim, and where do they let something slide?

Sure. A dealer would never 'cut someone off' on a warranty claim. At least I would hope not. A dealer doesn't care who pays them for their work. It's simply a matter of who will pay the bill. The only time something won't be fixed under warranty is if they call the warranty co. and tell them what they want to do and the warranty co. says no and that it's not covered. Then they ask the customer to pay. (that's where m-m comes in; is it covered in writing or not) That simple.

------------------
Todd Arnold
NSXotic.gif

http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

Back