• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Survey of Gen 2 NSX Issues

In case folks aren't aware, the Facebook group is compiling a database of known issues and is working with Acura contacts to resolve all issues. The Gas tank recall (although probably not related to their efforts) is a great opportunity to get other issues (wind noise, rattled, thermostat, etc) on the table and resolved.

I suggest that people fill out the spreadsheet (in files section) so Acura gets a complete picture of what they should address.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1880273068883820/

-Chris

You would have to join the owners group on facebook.
There are other ways, but I would rather it be limited to the facebook group.

You would have to join the owners group on facebook.
There are other ways, but I would rather it be limited to the facebook group.

If a comprehensive list of "issues" is wanted, why not open it up to non facebook users?

I'm not marketing Facebook. If non-users want to post or PM me their issues, I can add the info for them. Here's the template. This info will be passed along to Acura, so don't give any info you don't want posted to the registry and shared with them.

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 5.03.03 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 5.03.23 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 5.02.12 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Acura does not have access to the information except for what has already been sent to them. The registry and other information is more for the members of the Facebook group, most of whom are actual owners. AFAIK no new information will be sent to Acura, so anyone adding to the spreadsheet at this time won't gain any extra help from them.

I posted this in the delivery thread, but probably better here? I don’t do Facebook.

I have an electrical gremlin when unlocking and opening doors.

I unlock both doors, then open the passenger door first and sometimes I can’t get the drivers door open. Acts like it’s still locked. Locking / unlocking with the fob doesn’t help. I have to reach across inside and pull the drivers door handle to open it. Sometimes pushing the unlock button on the drivers door will work, sometimes not.

And sometimes the drivers door window will do the auto-drop thing and it won’t go up to close. Once I opened the door again and it dropped another 1/4” so open about 1/2”, and no up.

Anyone else?

Honda is better off coming to this site to learn about issues with than going on Facebook. I think NSX owners on facebook is likely a minority.

Im not a 2nd gen owner (yet). I am a 1st gen owner hoping to be a 1st AND 2nd gen owner....or just a 2nd gen owner. Anyhow.....

Any idea on the highest milage 2nd gen NSXs in the wild? Probably not many. My Boss has an Audi RS5 with the 4.2 v-8 which apparently is notorious for timing chain problems related the tensioner failure. He says all 4 chains need to be replaced every 30,000 miles, which seems crazy to me. This is an engine our repair because the chains are on the back side (transmission side) of the engine. YAH!

From looking at engine diagrams, I can tell the NSX also has 4 timing chains. One for dry-sump oil pump, one between the crank and water pump/reduction sprocket, and two that go from the water pump/reduction sprocket to the cams on both heads. The chain routing seems to be MUCH simpler than the Audi 4.2, thank goodness. Of course changing the chains on the NSX would be an engine out, and out of warranty would probably be close to 10,000 at dealer. Anyone want to guess how many miles the chains can go, or if Honda has a history of chain or tensioner issues like Audi does. Audi 4 cylinders also have TONS of chain and tensioner problems too. Thanks a bunch....

-Eric

Back