• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The first time I have really wanted to buy a Mustang (2012 BOSS 302)

I have been watching the reviews of the new mustangs and they are really good and I was surprised a while back when I read a C&D comparison article of the 2011 Mustang GT vs the M3 and they were pretty even on the track.

Now I see this BOSS 302 and I love it. I love the colors and I especially love that Laguna Seca edition. How friggin sweet is that!

The 440-horsepower* Hi-Po 302 4V Ti-VCT V8 engine features a "runner in the box" intake manifold and forged pistons, sodium valves, valve springs, new rods, oil cooler, and high-lift cams. This engine is capable of 7,500 rpm.

The 2012 Mustang Boss® 302 with Laguna Seca Package* adds elements like race-compound tires, an aggressive front air splitter and rear pedestal spoiler, standard Torsen differential and Recaro® seats, additional track gauges, and even deletes the rear seat and adds a rear cross-brace to save weight and add torsional rigidity.

More info here:

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/2012mustangboss/

2012mustang_boss_012.jpg

2012mustang_boss_014.jpg

Red key idea is really cool. Finally a Mustang worth owning. Now if Chrysler would just bring back my beloved Cuda':frown:

Black one equals poo, red/orange isn't to bad, color wise. :biggrin:

You can always buy one for the wife.

Last edited:
Red key idea is really cool. Finally a Mustang worth owning. Now if Chrysler would just bring back my beloved Cuda':frown:

Ford will be offering a second key for the Boss 302 Mustang which is named the TracKey. You can pretty much guess what happens when you use this one.

The 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302′s TracKey activates a default race tune that changes around 200 engine management parameters for the 5.0 liter V8 in such a way that you end up with the closest thing to a track car the Mustang will ever be.

Changes include incredibly fast throttle response, deceleration methods that help keep your brakes from getting shot and a very tasty exhaust note.

To put usage in perspective, your wife could drive the 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 over to a track in regular mode, than you switch keys and tear it up round a track.

Pretty. But seriously...

After all the years of options, upgrades, variants they put out for the Mustang, they can't manage to put an independent rear suspension on the thing? Really?

The 2014 is rumored to have one. I would wait for that.

Pretty. But seriously...

After all the years of options, upgrades, variants they put out for the Mustang, they can't manage to put an independent rear suspension on the thing? Really?

With cars like Porsche on Struts, and cars like the Z06 on leaf springs, I don't know. Obviously double wishbone independent suspension is best, but how many cars have it?

Last edited:
fter all the years of options, upgrades, variants they put out for the Mustang, they can't manage to put an independent rear suspension on the thing? Really?

So a car is just as fast as thw twice as expensive BMW M3 around a track, and you are complaining about the suspension?

Ford has made the Live Axle work. Somehow.

Regardless they already went to an IRS in the past, apparently it wasn't worth it.

They have offered independent rear suspension on the Cobra; my brother had one. That was probably in 2004 or so. I have always liked the newer Mustangs. They handle well and scream for not a whole lot of money and the aftermarket parts available for these are unlimited. But anytime you can buy a turn-key factory warranty with those numbers, it is worth considering. BTW, I like the Z06 too. Don't own either because I love my '71 914-6.

With cars like Porsche on Struts, and cars like the Z06 on leaf springs, I don't know. Obviously double wishbone independent suspension is best, but how many cars have it?

Both the Porsche's current lineup and the Z06 have IRS, regardless of how they are sprung.

So a car is just as fast as thw twice as expensive BMW M3 around a track, and you are complaining about the suspension?

Ford has made the Live Axle work. Somehow.

Regardless they already went to an IRS in the past, apparently it wasn't worth it.

Of course the live axle works, the question is whether it works well. My point was that with all the money that has gone into R&D for the car in other areas over the past 40 years, some of it could have been put into a better rear suspension set up.

Flying around a track with 450+ horses (there is a thread about Mustangs with 700+) and a live axle scares me. As soon as some imperfection on the road (like hitting rumble strips in an apex) affects the live axle, it will upset the balance of the car. It is basic physics. If I was Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, or the Stig, I probably wouldn't care as much. But I would still want an IRS!

Both the Porsche's current lineup and the Z06 have IRS, regardless of how they are sprung.

Yeah but struts are horrible. Leaf springs are horrible.
In terms of suspension design, struts and a live axle have to be equally poor design.

well some would also argue that having the engine way in the back of the car behind the rear wheels is also archaic and foolish...BUT....Porsche makes it work and work extremely well and I don't hear people complaining about that.

My point is if it works it works......sure every car could have something better done to it but for the price of a base Mustang GT there are few competitors that are its equal on the track.

I'll be glad when this retro craze is over and car makers start making original designs again. It was cool for a while and Ford did it better than anyone else, but enough already!

I'll be glad when this retro craze is over and car makers start making original designs again. It was cool for a while and Ford did it better than anyone else, but enough already!

Agree!

This latest Mustang is the best of the retro breed, but I hope they go for evolution with the next design.

P

Of course the live axle works, the question is whether it works well.

Seeing as how the latest Mustang GT is as fast around a track as the latest BMW M3, I would have to say that is a resounding "yes."

I'm with the other guys when they say if it works, who cares what it is? A lot of things are better in theory, like an IRS, but that doesn't always translate to the real world.

All this comparison on straight line?

American cars always worth $ in my view. Quality, build, attention to detail, cornering....fail.

Back