• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Thinkin about buying a Viper....need some advice

So heres the deal, had my 95 NSX-T for 5 years. I love it, BUT am feeling the need for a little HP. Its damn near 20K to get a supercharger, headers, exhaust installed on it. So, found a great 2001 Viper GTS (somehow while I was searching for an M3 - don't ask me how, it just happened). Really good deal, low miles, has had a minor collision though (through one of those lease take over sites). I was getting the M3 to be practical.... So heres the deal, obviously we could all have afforded other cars (i.e. Z06 and Viper). I test drove them all, but nothing fit me like the NSX. That was then. Right now, I am kind of doing a little automobile soul searching to see if I should keep my X or not. Basically, someone talk me down from the ledge...

redline-nsx said:
Its damn near 20K to get a supercharger, headers, exhaust installed on it.

ugh.gif

Exactly who quoted you that price??

A Viper is fun if you only intend on driving it a few days a month IMO. But man, if you plan on using it much more than that, it's freakin uncomfortable and driver UNfriendly. The AC is useless with those pipes running under the rocker panels. The hood is huge and visibility over it sucks. The shifter is up way too high and uncomfortable (as are the foot pedals). Man, I could go on and on about why I wouldn't buy one, but I'll stop.

On the other hand, the Viper looks great and has lots of power.

redline-nsx said:
Really good deal, low miles, has had a minor collision though (through one of those lease take over sites).

Get a quote on the repair. My buddy had a semi minor accident on his 96 GTS. A new hood was something like $13,000! He ended up finding a used hood for around $6,000.

The NSX is like a fine wine, while the Viper is comparable to Boonsfarm! But hey, we all enjoyed Boonsfarm one time or another. :)

5 years of NSX ownership, and you only join this board just before you're about to get rid of it? Call me skeptical, but there have been heated discussions regarding the NSX and Viper, so I hope this isn't a veiled attempt at riling people's emotions.

If you are for real, I think you should ask the Viper forums regarding the repair costs assuming you haven't already done so.

As for whether or not to change cars, different strokes for different folks, so get whatever suits your pleasure.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Was in Boise Idaho the other day and ran into a new viper owner on the street. Very nice guy and we ended up pulling over to talk about our cars. He had just bought his 2004 Viper not too long ago and loves it. Indeed it's a very beautiful car and the sharp lines look beautiful. He let me ride in his car and I let him ride in mine. The interior looks a lot better than the previous vipers but still lacks that luster. Still, very nice and the ride wasn't too bad, but it did feel more floaty than my car. So when he rode in mine he was just amazed how comfortable the seats felt and how much more my car seemed to hug he road than compared to his. He had never driven in an nsx and couldn't stop giving it compliments from the interior to the way it rode. He couldn't believe it was a 91 and now says he wants to find a good used one because he was so impressed. Mind you my car is completely stock except for the rims and the big tune-up I just got. This guy was so impressed he said he would let me drive his car if I would let him drive mine. Under any other circumstances I would have, but I was already late to pick up my lady friend.....so I sadly had to decline, but got his info so we could meet up again with his other viper friends. By the way, for 20k I would assume you could get a factor X turbo kit and pretty much woop on all vipers and modded vettes. =) one day...one day....

redline-nsx said:
Its damn near 20K to get a supercharger, headers, exhaust installed on it.

Comptech 6lb supercharger for 95 T = 8500 (average price)
Comptech Header for 95 = 1500
Aftermarket exhaust = around 1400 (brand name)
Installation for supercharger = 1000 to 1500
Installation for header and exhaust = 300 to 400 (you would probably save this one with supercharger installation)

redline-nsx said:
So heres the deal, had my 95 NSX-T for 5 years.

Youv'e had your NSX for 5 years and this is your first post? :eek: :biggrin:

Last edited:
I bought a yellow 2001 RT/10. I like it a lot. If I had to sell the Viper or the NSX, it would be the NSX. Duece B's post is on target. What percentage of the time will you be driving the new car?

Only thing I miss about my Vette is the feel of Torque on demand. I suspect the Viper is the same way. While I think the Viper would be fun for that reason, I suspect you will get tired of it's flaws and come back to the fold. If I had enough money for two sports cars, I would definately give a look to a Viper. But if I'm only going to have one car, NSX.

PHOEN$X said:
5 years of NSX ownership, and you only join this board just before you're about to get rid of it? Call me skeptical, but there have been heated discussions regarding the NSX and Viper, so I hope this isn't a veiled attempt at riling people's emotions.

If you are for real, I think you should ask the Viper forums regarding the repair costs assuming you haven't already done so.

As for whether or not to change cars, different strokes for different folks, so get whatever suits your pleasure.

Good luck.

Ouch... I couldnt log on with my normal id since I have not posted in a long long time, could not re-instate it, so just assumed it was removed and created a new one. I have been on the e-mail listserv since before I got my car. I am not quite sure I will be able to get rid of my NSX as I get that feeling in the pit of my stomach like when I gave up my cat, loyal for 6 years... so no, this is not some ploy of a lonely adolescent to "rile anyone up". This was an honest attempt to get information and help in making an informed decision. If any of you (who are getting defensive/insulted etc.) have been on the viper list, you'll know its not the place to bring up the evil letters "NSX". AND I made sure to post this to the off-topic list hoping to avoid the overly sensitive folks who would want to start an argument on this list.

NSXWIND said:
Comptech 6lb supercharger for 95 T = 8500 (average price)
Comptech Header for 95 = 1500
Aftermarket exhaust = around 1400 (brand name)
Installation for supercharger = 1000 to 1500
Installation for header and exhaust = 300 to 400 (you would probably save this one with supercharger installation)

At comptechusa.com, the prices are as follows: exhaust - $1249, headers - $1499, charger $9900(NSX-T) - the quote I got from a local reputable shop was around $17K, including dyno tuning, parts mentioned above and labor. The local Acura dealer was $18K. Still a large chunk of change.

I would probably hold out for a C6 Z06. It doesn't have a lot of the vipers flaws and it will be every faster.

Deuce B,
SoCalDude,
hlweyl,
specrtd,
milz50,
Mirroredshades,

Thanks guys. Your posts were exactly what I was looking for. I test drove a 96 Viper R/T right before I bought my car and an 01 z06 right after I bought it. The primary reason I chose the X is that I am biased towards imports, it looked amazing (and still does), I love the level of comfort it has when I drive it(I admit that I LOVE the way the old body Vipers look though). Couple of you brought up an interesting point: How long will I be in the car? My commute isnt so bad right now, previous job it was, rarely took the X because hated taking it downtown. I still managed to put on 50K miles in 5 years - not exactly sure how, but I drive it every chance I get. I still don't know if I can give it up but I can probably hang onto both of them.

The repairs issue brings up another interesting point, I need to get an insurance quote before I buy the car. The maintenance costs associated with the Viper that I have heard about worry me. Also, Honda = Reliability while Dodge = Uncertainty.... Again, thanks guys, I enjoyed reading your posts and like I figured they would, brought some other points I should consider. If I have both of horses in my stable, and you're in the DC area, feel free to stop by, drive and compare. I'll let you know what happens - I may just end up heading down to Del Ray, FL for a weekend to check this GTS out.

NetViper said:
I would probably hold out for a C6 Z06. It doesn't have a lot of the vipers flaws and it will be every faster.

Now, the release of that car gave me the "itch" to buying a new car. I really loved the specs on that (and the 06 M3). BUT I worry about getting the first model year of ANY car AND my impatience has prompted me to look at what I can get kind of soon rather than waiting a year or more for something.... But I have considered that option as well.

Regarding the cost of insurance, my liability cost is about 5% higher for the Viper than the NSX. The collision cost is about 75% higher for the Viper. Its value is about 65% higher, however.

redline-nsx said:
At comptechusa.com, the prices are as follows: exhaust - $1249, headers - $1499, charger $9900(NSX-T) - the quote I got from a local reputable shop was around $17K, including dyno tuning, parts mentioned above and labor. The local Acura dealer was $18K. Still a large chunk of change.

why would you want to get the parts from Comptechusa.com? there's better deal out there!
I have done all except the supercharger and of course supercharger installation.
I paid $1499 shipped for comptech header from nopi.com
$1200 for Taitec lightweight exhaust
$300 for header installation

here's a supercharger for 95, 96 T on ebay for $8350
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7960654453&category=33741&sspagename=WD1V

the pre 2003 viper's hood does cost $13,000-ish new. any kind of front end damage means a new hood usually... that's a chunk!

Comptech supercharger is expensive...

Try Basch Boost...either NOVI 2000 or NOVI 1000...

Timpo said:
Comptech supercharger is expensive...

Try Basch Boost...either NOVI 2000 or NOVI 1000...

By the time you are done with it, both kits are within $1000 of eachother. Comptech adds more low-end tq and good power. BBSC doesn't do a lot for low end TQ, but high-end power (5000+) is VERY strong and IMO faster than the comptech.

Hi redline - I also have a '95 NSX, and up to about 5 months ago also had a '99 Viper GTS. There is no comparison between the 2 cars at all. The Viper is just such a beast to drive every day. They all have a tendency to heat up a bit in traffic, so I found myself watching the temp gauge alot. The AC has to be the stupidist design ever - you cannot adjust the temperature, just the fan speed. No cruise control and no dead pedal makes long trips very uncomfortable. I found myself favoring the NSX to drive most of the time, and would take the Viper out when all conditions were perfect. Fit and finish of the Dodge sucks as bad as the gas consumption.
When the opportunity came up for a good property deal there was no contest which car would go. I still have the NSX!
The up side of the ownership experience was the resale held strong for the Viper - owned it almost 2 years and sold it for $500 less than I paid to the first (albeit only) looker. This does not count the tires I had to buy due to flat-spotting. Did I mention this flagship POS car does not have ABS brakes?
If you want to play with one, by all means get one. Just don't be dissappointed that it does not please you as a daily driver - 'cause it won't.
And be very careful with your purchase - there are a lot of crappy ones out there. Mine was the 3rd one I looked at, and the guy that bought mine told me that he had looked at 6 of them. They are very rare to find in excellent condition.

Here's what I'd do if I were you:

You say you want more power? Well, I'd sell your 95 and get into a 97 or newer. Then I'd get the Factor X FX400 turbo setup (the don't do 91-96 cars). LOTS more power in a great car that can be driven everyday, with reliability, gas mileage, and comfort. On top of that, you still have a removable top, an aluminum car that won't rust, awesome handling of a mid-engine car, and the list goes on and on... You'd be in it the cost of the newer NSX and the turbo upgrade runs $11,500. Money well spent IMO (powerful & very driver friendly yet still might cost less than that Viper). :)

You wouldn't need to own both the NSX and the Viper. You could just have a super cool NSX with way more power than it needs!

But that's just what I'd do...

Back