• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Time to ban food products from China?

TC

Experienced Member
Last year it was toxic pet food. Then toxic toothpaste (put in bootlegged Colgate tubes to boot). Now it is toxic powered milk. Yesterday it was toxic candy. Today - toxic instant coffee.

A couple of years ago, a farmer in the US imported a cow from Canada suspected to have mad cow disease. No one got sick - no one ate tained meat but countries like Japan and Korea banned all US beef and Korea is only now thinking of lifting that ban. Some countries are still banning beef from the UK. Literally 50,000+ chinese kids are in the hospital, some have died yet no countries are banning Chinese products. And its not due to bacteria or lax cleanliness. It is due to companies adding chemicals to watered down milk to make it appear to have the correct nutrition levels. I was watching CNN yesterday; a company in China that makes dumplings is using shreaded newspaper and cardboard for the filling (along with some meat, spices, etc.). Yum.

I'm personally checking labels and not buying food products from China.

I'm cool with any trade embargoes just as long as they don't ban Sesame Chicken. That shit is delicious! :biggrin:

As long as your local restaurant uses ingredients from quality sources, then you're good. I also love lots of Chinese dishes.

BTW, the food for the political elite in China comes from special farms - they won't even eat the stuff that is sold to the locals and exported to the rest of the world.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26874854/

i think the question should be

"what shouldn't we can from china?"

toys, plastic, paint, candy, milk, toothpaste and wasnt there bad advil and other pills?

Maybe we should pay for their toxic exports with our toxic mortgages.

If they only screw up a few things a year I'd say that's pretty good. Do we do any better?

You avoiding chinese food products might not matter, but if we as a country did you would pay a price for your selectivity. Beef isn't cheap in Japan and there are many factors that go in to banning certain things from certain countries, about 1% is based on logic and 99% based on political incentives.

I was watching CNN yesterday; a company in China that makes dumplings is using shreaded newspaper and cardboard for the filling (along with some meat, spices, etc.). Yum.

The dumplings story was determined to be fake. But yeah, made in China is still bad!

A lot of times, you can't tell where something (like produce, fruit juices, etc) is from, as it's not readily apparent from the labels.

As long as your local restaurant uses ingredients from quality sources, then you're good. I also love lots of Chinese dishes.

BTW, the food for the political elite in China comes from special farms - they won't even eat the stuff that is sold to the locals and exported to the rest of the world.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26874854/

I think this is over-hyped a bit. I used to travel to China about once a month last year, and I ate where everyone else did. Granted, I was in the large cities most of the time, so I don't know if they have better quality control there compared to the more rual areas. I'd have no problem with going to China today and eating at normal restaurants/eatieries there.

While tainted products have come out of China, I think it's rare for the most part when you consider the sheer volume of what they produce.

Last edited:
Where i live they closed all restaurants in the city of Downey Ca. They seem to think the water is contaminated. You can't even brush your teeth or clean your dishes with sink water. it's been like this for a few days now.

I think this is over-hyped a bit. I used to travel to China about once a month last year, and I ate where everyone else did. Granted, I was in the large cities most of the time, so I don't know if they have better quality control there compared to the more rual areas. I'd have no problem with going to China today and eating at normal restaurants/eatieries there.

While tainted products have come out of China, I think it's rare for the most part when you consider the sheer volume of what they produce.

Same with me. I ate dinner and lunch with a guy worth over 100m U.S. while in Beijing, we ate in fairly fancy restaurant in a mall where lots of other more or less regular people eat. I ate with more normal business men many times, we just went to local places and they actually get excited over eating street food. Moreso then I do, that's for sure.

I mainly go between major cities so I can't comment on rural areas. I also don't know very many wealthy chinese that live in rural areas though.

Back