• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

tires for track

I know this question has been a topic of discussion, but my question is a little bit more of a personal choise. I have 215/40 17 and 265/35 18 pilot sports, I would like to bring the car on a track.

My question is, should I use my pilots that are more for street use or should I use 205/50 15 and 225/50 16 on my stock rims with BF/Goodrich G force R1 which are stictly track tires and handle like a B**ch.

Before anybody starts about the price issue, it is not an issue because I can get either tire for the same price.My rims are ssr integrals which are very light but the tires (17/18) are much heavier.

I would suggest this:

If you've never been on a track before, or if you've only been on a track a few times, use the street tires. You will be WAY below the capabilities of your car, even with track tires, and there's no need to use the track tires. It's also a good idea to learn how your car handles at the limit using the same equipment you use on the street, so that you can use that knowledge every time you drive it.

If you've got a lot of track experience, then use the track tires.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 17 April 2001).]

In my experince your better off to go with track tires on the stock rims. The car will be worlds better on the track, and you won't waste rubber on the street tires. The only downside is that you launch a logistics headache in getting a second set of wheels to the track. As far as performance...the best street tires don't even hold a candle to the worst track tires! Go for the hoosiers, you'll love them!! Good luck...

If you haven't bought the track tires yet, I would recommend AGAINST the G-Force R1's. They're being discontinued, so if you use up two, you're going to be stuck buying four others (or running with mismatched tires, not recommended).

Track tires vary on a spectrum from (a) maximum stick in the dry, offset by shortest life and poorest wet traction, to (b) less stick with longer life and better wet traction. The Hoosier RS is closest to (a), the Yokohama A032R is closest to (b), and the Kumho V700 Victoracer is in between.

Nsxtacy,
I have already bought the tires(10 min. ago) but I am not concerned about the availability because my "friend" works at Michelin and there is plenty of both 40-15's and 50 -16's. I have never taken my car on a track before so I am in the dark on that subject.
I am however going to use a package that my "friend" at Michelin has for a three day session at any Skip Barber facility. Hopefuly I will actually get close to my cars' limits without killing my self
smile.gif

I bought a set of 15/16 NSX rims that I have Hoosiers on only for the track. Slicks make a world of difference, there is no comparison as Aaron states. I have run with my 17/18's on the track and the car actually handled worse and had much more understeer. I highly sugesst to anyone who wants to get the most out of their car to get a second set of rims with track only tires.

Here here to taking your car to the limit and not killing yourself.
wink.gif
Here's my formula once I toast my current tires: buying a used set of '91-93 rims (I have a '91) and then getting some Kumho's. Once I wear those out I'll go to Goodyears or Hoosiers. I'll put both the G's and H's on but one after the other. I'll compare all three and then buy the one I like the most. Granted, this may take some time but no big deal.

Back