• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Track Car Opinions...

Definitely off topic, but I'd sure appreciate this board's input:

While I am eager to increase my participation at track events, I am less and less excited about doing it with my NSX. Maybe I like it too much, maybe is the expense, maybe is safety, maybe the fact that no matter what the NSX is after all a street car and therefore has different priorities - but whatever, that is not what I'm debating at the moment.

Since I qualify for an SCCA license I'm strongly considering a track-only car, question is which. Budget is a strong factor, both upfront & to keep the thing running. Ideally < 20k entry price.

A great option seems to be the Ford Spec Racers - anyone have any experience with them? What are the details on the gearbox, got synchros?

Second choice would be the general Formula Ford open-wheel racers (Mazda, Reynard, etc.) but this are more expensive and seem like a commitment to upkeep.

Third is something along the lines of an old 944 S, 2nd Gen RX-7, fully converted. I know the options are endless here, but basically its got to be RWD and have a reasonable aftermarket & upkeep route. Handling is a key concern of course. This is the area where I'd particularly like to know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Ralph

P.s.: The object here is fun, I don't have any particular illusions of being too competitive at formal events.

[This message has been edited by rquintero (edited 28 January 2001).]

Hey Ralph, I'm now considering myself in the same situation. Although I love the ability to be able to track my '94 NSX, I am learning that it would be more cost effective to purchase a track only car. I have crunched the numbers, and the fact that I spend on average $1,000 per event to track my NSX, having a track car would be cheaper in the long run.

I am presently looking for a track ready 944 Turbo or 914-6. The reason for is that I will be able to run in the PCA and POC events and do some real door to door racing. Of course I will continue participate in the NSX Florida events because I enjoy the group of people, and the amount of track time is unbeatable for the price.

I just got an 88 M3 for this purpose. The reasons is simple. The car is great and a blast to drive. I considered 2nd Gen RX7, and 944 before. However reliability issues keeps me away from them.

I plan to run the car in BMW CCA club race. They have pretty competitive race series and usually get it mixed with PCA local chapter. I will be racing in J-stock which require me to keep the engine stock and no adjutable suspension (coil overs) to keep the cost down. If u have more money u might want to look the unlimited class.

THe M3 is surprisingly very capable cars. We have local BMW CCA member here that have D-mod E30 M3 that kicks ass. And compete with a bunch of modified 911 and monster 914.

Go to some of their races locally and see if it's really the car u want.

Hi Rob, I hear you about a 914-6 - I've been seeing a local POC member running one for years and I'm sure his costs are way down. Great driver too. Probably one of the closest things to a purpose-built single seater too, feel-wise. I'm shy on the 944 T for reliability reasons.

But didn't you do the Skip Barber racing school as well? After driving an open wheel I just think the experience can't be easily duplicated by a street car, that is why I I'll exhaust the opther options first. And BTW, I intend to trailer whatever I end up with to Chin events, that is one of the cool things about his club.

Andrie, thanks. We happen to have Redline as a local shop, they are grass-root racers that do a ton of work on older BMWs... my buddy is already in touch with them. I've owned 3 Beemers, one of them an M3, and have no doubt they'd kick butt at the track. Ironically, at the last PCA race I went to 2 BMW's ended up getting towed off the track (1 engine and 1 blown tranny). I assumed parts would be expensive though, have you found that to be the case?

I already belong to the NSX, BMW and POC local clubs, and with 4 great tracks within easy access finding track time is not a problem. More interested in that than full-out racing.

Parts on the M3 are expensive. Not for regular beemer though. Even though parts are more expensive then the 944 (not 911), they are easier cars to work on than the Porsches. Hence u save in labor.

Well, when u buy older cars, their engine lifespan will be shorter as well. I bought mine with 116K miles. I anticipate to have to overhaul the engine in 40K miles (track).

The other things might be the cause for the beemer got blown engine is they miss shifted. The E36 are notorious for that.

However if u are interested in the Porsche, talk to Huntley racing. They built some monster 944.

Actually the cheapest way to race a good car with no reliability issue is to get a type R and strip them. U can run them in USTCC. Since they are sponsored by honda, u get insentive for racing honda/acura brand. And they really kicks ass in their class.

Andrie, I'd expect to at least overhaul any engine after 40k track miles!
smile.gif

I'm a big fan of the Type-R, and have admired them at the track several times - just never driven a front-drive car. Maybe I should give it a shot...

rquintero,

I used to think that it would be necessary to overhaul the engine after about 40K track miles. However, a friend who races his E36 M3, start making his car full track only (in I-prepared) when his engine was 96K, was able to use the engine until 160K, when it finally blew. This is not a car he drives everyday. Just on the track and autocross (he trailered the car). He came 2nd in SCCA autocross championship in 2000, and been winning I-prepared in BMW CCA club race numerous times. It seems that BMW are pretty reliable when u track them at minimal mods. Seen this in a few other BMW as well.

As for the type-R. I was skeptical as it is a FWD until I rode in one. They handle awesome. It will take some getting use to. But they do kick ass
smile.gif

I think most of the advice here is on the right track - you should give a lot of thought to the organizational support for the car you buy and not just the cost to purchase and run it. The more events it is allowed to run, the more fun you will have with it.

Another alternative not mentioned here is vintage racing. There are several cars that are still competitive in current SCCA classes that are vintage legal now. The 914-6 is an obvious example, but there are many others. As I mentioned, the more sanctioning bodies supporting the type, the more events you have to chose from.

Back