• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Tubi exhaust

This is a new thread in reference to Ilya's great efforts to organize a group
buy for the Tubi exhaust. I am sorry it took some time but the NSX unit's
availability in numbers is part of a new agreement between Tubi and one of our departments to distribute all Tubi and TSI products. I am sorry that right now the exhaust is the only Tubi/TubiStyle product for the NSX.
Other Tubi exhausts are for P993/2S/4S and TT, P996's and TT, Boxster, Audi TT, BMW M3/M5,Z3M, C5 Corv and Lotus Esprit/Elise.
Suggested retail for the NSX unit is $ 2,225 plus s&h.
Our regular price will be $ 1,950 plus s&h.
The introduction group buy price for a minimum of five orders will be $ 1,695 plus
s&h. Delivery is 4 weeks. Please email
[email protected] for details.
Tubi has been in the "sound making" business for decades and has a state of the art research and manufacturing facility. They are well known to Ferrari/Lambo communities but also have made wonderful products for
Ducati and others. A look at the quality of their welds, materials and tips as well
as a listen to their sound goes a long way in justifying their relatively high price.
In response to a recent post, most of their Ferrari exhausts are cat-back units and priced well over $3K (a 360 unit sells for $3,600).
Thanks
Tino Stramotas

Thank you for your post. Many have been awaiting the details.

I checked your referenced e-mail but I am not sure what additional details we were supposed to find about TUBI, it appears that this is an industrial machinery/shipping co .....? Area code 310 is where my parents reside and would be a nice excuse. Do they install it too?

Anyway, I guess the details that I was awaiting for are:

Warranty? Transferable within the specified period/coverage?
Where will it be serviced if it needs repairs; s&h costs if we have to send it back to Italy?
Any Dyno tests?
What is the highest decibel achieved?
Any fitting issues?
Does it come in any other tips or just the dual tip?

Hrant
98-T

<<I checked your referenced e-mail but I am not sure what additional details we were supposed to find about TUBI, it appears that this is an industrial machinery/shipping co .....? Area code 310 is where my parents reside and would be a nice excuse. Do they install it too?>>

Dahhhhhhhh! Just realized that this is your company and e-mail address. Sorry about that. But the question whether you will install on the premises remains.

Here are some answers to your questions:

Check following websites: www.tubistyle.it
and tsicomponents.com

Warranty: Tubi has a good coverage for one year. If a unit is proved defective in workmanship (material and/or fabrication), it will be replaced at no charge. Shipping both ways to Michigan is also covered if warranty condition exists. Coverage is one year from shipment and IS transferable.

No State-side sound measurements have been performed on the less-than-handfull numbers of NSX units. It is very close to a Gr.M , maybe a little less obtrusive than my son's RM (B&B), but it has that Tubi visceral quality that Ferrari owners have enjoyed for years. Quality of sound is very subjective but general consensus about Tubi is that it is "good".

We're planning low-key installation availability in the LA area. There are no fitment issues whatsoever.(straight forward, a couple of hours or less) The unit on my car is almost perfectly symetrical and evenly clear of the lower bumper valence.

I have asked the factory to let me know of the exact weight. (I am sorry we were so excited to install it, we did not weigh it but it is lighter than stock)

Same with HP. Tubi laughs at the notion of a few extra HP on a 300-400HP car but we know otherwise with the NSX (don't we?) . Like everyone else, they state that 2-10Hp can be achieved depending on set ups and conditions. We will post Dyno results when possible.

Lastly, despite Lud being so kind and accomodating, please email me privately with questions rather than use this forum. I think it would be more appropriate.
Thank you
Tino Stramotas
[email protected]
[email protected]

I have sent Tino a number of emails from interested parties that emailed me earlier. If you want this price on the Tubi, now is the time to get it without paying 2K later.
It is part of a larger deal and he does not expect to get this kind of price again.

Just wanted to bump this thread up and make sure nobody missed it.

Don't forget to hear it here at the end of the thread. http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002750-2.html

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 12 November 2001).]

Ilya,

Wouldn't it be great to have both the Basch Boost SC and the Tubi exhaust? Yes! I'd love to buy the Tubi!

However, because we know nothing yet about which exhausts are long-term compatible with the Basch Boost (won't blow out the cats, etc), what's a guy to do right now? What do you (or anyone) know about how the cat-back Tubi stands up to forced induction on other cars?

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

NSXY,
My own car is scheduled for a Bash SC. Of course I will let you know how it stands up to it, but by then, the group buy will be unfortunately over . I understand from both Marks that most of the good exhausts including the (more restrictive) stock exhaust stand up very well to supercharging.
In fact I know that Turbos and Nitrous are harder on exhaust systems than s/chargers.
Tino Stramotas

For those of us living in California, where we must get our cars smog tested every two years, I am concerned that the Tubi exhaust is not CARB certified and thus may not get passed. Thoughts anyone....? RSVP.

------------------
NSXY

The Tubi exhausts, like most aftermarket exhausts (with the exception of the GruppeM exhaust) is cat-back. Due to this, emissions should not be affected by the addition of this exhaust.

If it is that big of a concern, put the stock exhaust back in every two years.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info

Hi everyone,
As of today, I have five commitments, enough to get this group buy going. If any of you guys really want to take advantage of the $1,695 price (plus shipping), let me please know soon as I am sure a couple more will not be a problem but delivery might be as the factory may delay delivery of the extra units if not ordered on time. Email me privately if you are serious about joining.
Thank you
Tino Stramotas
MENSI
Tubi/TSI Compone

The order for the first six NSX Tubi's has been entered. I have been given until the end of next week to add more units at the same price and with the same delivery. If you are sitting on the fence, please let me know by private email of your decision so that you can join in on this deal.
Thank you.
Tino S.

And my answer to the question is: TUBI.

------------------
NSXY

Originally posted by NSXY:
And my answer to the question is: TUBI.

And I second that. I went out and bought a sound card for my computer at the office just so I could listen to Ilya's (and Akira3D's) MP3 of that wondrous, melodic Italian baritone until I can hear it live!!

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

Like everything else Italian, there is no firm answer but suspect this coming Friday would be the end of the stretch (fabrication is scheduled for latter part of December). I have 9 commitments and 8 deposits in hand.
Tino S.

I think there are several unknowns (for most of us) that need to be resolved, including fit, real-life sound, exact weight, reliablity, and increase in horsepower, which has been estimated at 15-25 hp, but requires dyno testing before and after installation (to convince me). Any volunteers out there regarding the before and after Tubi dyno testing?

------------------
NSXY

NSXY,
I don't know where you got "estimated 15-25HP" from. With all their years of experience, Tubi insist that any exhaust by itself will not get you more than 1-2% additional HP (3-5 RWHP on an NSX), if any, on any modern car with catalysts in place. As to fit, sound and reliability, you'll have to judge for yourself.

Tino (bboxer),

Yes, I got that info just a bit wrong. The estimated Tubi exhaust hp increase I refer to is not "15-25 hp," it's "15-20 hp." I found this on the website of Francesco Yarde, President of TSI Components, division of Tubi style USA, INC. http://www.mindspring.com/~lotek/tubi.htm This website was apparently posted by you (bboxer) on the NSXSC website discussion forum, or at least that's what it says http://www.nsxsc.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000923.html ,so I thought that you would have seen this estimate before. Another almost unbelievable estimate is that its weight is ~50% less that OEM. Frankly, I'm hoping both estimates are true...(cuz I done paid my deposit money fer one). Maybe you can provide some clarification here. Have you communicated with Mr. Yarde on this?

------------------
NSXY

[This message has been edited by NSXY (edited 11 December 2001).]

Tino,

Here's another website claiming Tubi's ~7% increase to hp and ~50% weight savings over OEM. http://www.bostonsportscar.com/tubi.htm If indeed Tubi has never made such claims, then everyone else seems to be doing it for them and with remarkable uniformity. In any case, I still hope they're correct.

------------------
NSXY

What you should know about exhaust systems and the companies that offer them is that HP claims are always adjusted and inaccurate. We know it, they know, it and we all just get along.
biggrin.gif

This starts with domestic brands like Corsa and goes all the way to imports like Tubi.
YES, you can gain 18-20HP with the exhaust... GRANTED that you have other modifications as well to make that possible.

Early ads for Borla and Flowmaster for Corvettes stated gains as high as 25-30HP increase. After being called on it enough times, they began running disclaimers that the numbers were obtained on a car w/ intake and chip/ecu mods to take advantage of the improved flow.

Now, most companies readily admit that gains from exhaust alone are very small in the area of 5HP. Add an intake and chip the car, you will see closer to 10-15HP. Add headers and you are all set, 20-25HP.
So yes, you will get an additional 20HP after adding the exhaust... on a car that also has intake, headers and/or a chip.

As for the wieght, I would not be surprised if it weighed 50% less than stock. The Taitec weighs even less than that. The stock unit is pretty heavy.

An exhaust system alone is for sound, looks, and weight. Those who buy an exhaust system along with headers and intake are truly doing it for more power and flow. The exhuast system will be integral to achieving the power along with the headers. Alone, it will net very little HP. This is true across the board for all exhausts on high performance cars. The factory designs are already near maximized for optimized flow... with a little more compromise for not being too loud for the average consumer.

So this is the trick exhuast companies used to pull. They would take a car with an intake and headers.... then add the advertised exhaust and HOLY SMOKE... our exhaust just added 20HP... how about that.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 11 December 2001).]

Here's a Ferrari owner's webpage claiming dyno data showing a F355 to have increased power by 15-18 hp, simply by adding the Tubi exhaust http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/exhaust.html

Yes, I can understand the potentially exaggerated claims by manufacturers, so I can't wait for one of us NSX Primers to do the proper dyno testing before and after with a stock car and post the data so that all the speculation can be resolved once and for all.

My car is bone stock, except the tires. Does anyone know the nearest shop to Santa Barbara or Del Mar CA, with a proper dyno, so I could get it done? How much does a dyno run cost anyway?

------------------
NSXY

Back