tyres

The Kumho KU36 is marketed in North America as the Kumho Ecsta XS. Here it is available in 215/45-16 for the NSX front and 245/40-17 or 255/40-17 for the NSX rear. All of those sizes can be mounted on 16x7 fronts and 17x8.5 rears, although I would lean towards the 245/40-17 on the 17x8.5 (the 255/40 will look somewhat "bulging").

It is considered an "extreme performance" tire, the category of street tire offering maximum grip, perfect for brisk street driving as well as an occasional track day. Like all such tires, it may not last as many miles as other street tires. On dry pavement, the Ecsta XS performs similarly to other extreme performance tires (e.g. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08, Bridgestone Potenza RE-11). On wet pavement, it is at a significant disadvantage relative to those others, so if you plan to use them much in rain, the Kumho may not be the best choice available.

A quiet ride is not a design objective for the extreme performance tire category, and most such tires are fairly noisy (some more so than others). If a quiet ride is an important attribute for you, you might be better off with a more sport/luxury-oriented tire, such as one of those in the "maximum performance" or "ultra high performance" categories.

I've had Kumho's in the past(not on my nsx) and i didnt like them.
I found the bridgstone potenza had alot more grip and the noise was not an issue.
Every major tire brand makes a wide variety of tires - some for the racetrack, some with maximum grip for street use, some that will last a long time, some that provide a quiet and comfortable ride, some that are less expensive than others, etc. You need to indicate which Kumho tire you're referring to for your comments to be meaningful (and if your comments are about a different tire other than the Ecsta XS, they really don't apply). Similarly, Bridgestone makes a lot of different tires with the "Potenza" name, so again you need to be more specific.

Last edited:
Back