• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

UFC Hughes versus Gracie

Anyone watch the fight tonight. I wanted Matt to win and he did but part of me felt bad for Royce? Matts right the sport is different than when Royce first fought, people used to be grapplers or strikers now you have to be both to win. Matt proved that tonight, that is one tough kid! There were some good fights pre and psot the main event!

They need to have a rematch with no time limits and no referee stoppage. Only the individual can tap out. Royce can win this way.

was it just me or did matt pop gracies elbow earlier in the match... he had that arm bar in really good but its like royce's arm just hyperextended and he just let it pop (hard core lol) either way, that wasnt super nasty as everyone thought it would be, it was a fair match i think

Malibu Rapper said:
This was an unfortunate fight that should have never taken place. But I guess both fighters were paid well and if Royce is happy that's cool. It does nothing to cement Hughes' standing and I think Royce should retire.

I looked forward to that fight. Old versus new. It proves that Matt can beat the man who once dominated UFC, no more hypothetical who would win if....As Matt said the sports different now than when Rojce fought. I don't thik there will be a remach but who knows.

Blackcat,

As for tapping out, I don't think Royce was coming back from being smacked in the head, he would of just been more bloody. He as on lockdown with his back to Matt, what was he going to do?

i agree w/ Malibu...there was nothing that could come of this fight. Matt looked SAD when he won,

Brian there is no way more time or no Ref stoppage would have helped royce this time, It was amazing that he pulled outta that armbar but matt was teeing off on him...doent matter who you are that will eventually knock ya out....

OH YEAH brian,,,that swick/riggs fight !!! WOW.... we crapped our pants when we saw that...

i cant wait for 61...some great fights on that card so far....

FWIW sherdog.com has all kinds of stuff on the fight last night...
fun reading for sure

clr1024 said:
I looked forward to that fight. Old versus new. It proves that Matt can beat the man who once dominated UFC, no more hypothetical who would win if....As Matt said the sports different now than when Rojce fought. I don't thik there will be a remach but who knows.

I think everyone knew Royce was going to lose, even the interviews in the previous event Royce's comment was "Anything can happen" which is basically saying he had a puncher's chance in boxing match. I don't want to see him lose anymore. :( Ken Shamrock, Sakuraba, Tank Abbott, etc, they should all just retire from MMA.

I didnt think Royce had a chance and last nights fight proved that things are deffinetly different.
I cant believe Royce didnt tap out from that arm bar!!:eek: I thought Matt was going to have to break it to get a win. Royce must have a HUGE tolerance! He was a master, now he should retire a ledgend and not tarnish his legacy.

donwon said:
OMG, I'm a little behind. I had no idea these guys were still doing it. :redface:

They actually didn't get around to "doing it" until they were back in the locker room and bolted the door shut.

glad it's over...

If it wasn't Royce but instead some novice/tyro who underwent what Hughes dished out, we'd all be like: total lopsided victory, no question... blah bla bha!

It really was painful (if not somewhat sad) to see Royce succumb to father-time and a different breed/generation. :frown: But as always, things change...

Back