• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What made the NSX the car for you?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gifOops hit the enter key too soon. Anyway, here goes;

I've been a Honda nut for 35 years & have owned everything from a new '76 Civic to a '97 Legend. (I still have an S800 & Z360). Of course when the NSX was released, I lusted after one, but couldn't afford it as I was a new small business owner. Finally, in '02, I got my '99auto. Why did I want an NSX?; Simply, it represented the pinnacle (at the time of release) of engineering excellence, from arguably the world's best engine manufacturer. Only after living with it as a daily driver, did I begin to truly appreciate the beautiful balance Honda achieved in making a very livable, highly reliable high performance car with unbelievably good handling. Have a look at the exquisite forgings of the all-aluminium suspension arms. It doesn't look too bad either. Need I go on; In the immortal words of Roger Rabbit; Let me count the ways...

Even today, is there a better 2 or 4 seat car (in a similar category) available for under $400k?

What made NSX the car for me:
http://nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77631

Paul Phillips said:
Even today, is there a better 2 or 4 seat car (in a similar category) available for under $400k?

Hey Paul don't get me wrong - I love the NSX too.... but saying there's nothing better under $400k is a very big call!

That includes cars such as:

Ferrari F430 (just)
Lamborghini Gallardo
Porsche 911 Turbo
2008 Nissan GTR, when it arrives here, ~$150k

I think most people, even here on Prime, would take one of these cars over the NSX. Anyone who wouldn't?

Hey, at least I got the discussion going!! Guess I'm one eyed, but isn't it strange that we're comparing an 18 year old design to current new cars; and at that, cars that are more expensive (except the GTR). Everyone will have their preferences; personally, nice car that it'll be, I wouldn't want a GTR. Give mean NSX any day over the cost of ownership/reliability of an Italian exotic. What made the NSX the car for you?

Since most of the car I want are exotic, I chose the NSX because it was cheaper to get, cheaper to maintain, easier to drive and certainly very nice to look at (I can never get bored with it).

In deciding to purchase my NSX, I compared it, not to current cars but to others at a similar price and looks. I realise that looks are very subjective and my alternatives will not be to all tastes. So I considered 308/328 Ferraris and Panteras. I do not know why, but Porches have never intersted me, despite being excellent cars. lso I wanted something very different from the EVO. The Honda wins hands down.

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. I was at an airport in the checkout line at a small convenience shop picking up some last minute items. I looked up at a row of magazines and saw a red NSX grace the cover of the September '89 issue of Road & Track. All I said in my mind was, "That's it!" and the story is over. Any of you remember that cover? The NSX is tilted diagonally left with the title "First Drive! Acura NS-X Mid-Engine Sensation, Birth of an Exotic" and the call-out box said,"...Ferrari, Porshe, Lotus...it can hold its own..with any of these legendary marques."

OzzieJohn - in the post referred to above you mention you had the interior stripped out of your car at one stage - now I'm being nosy - what were you were having done ? A roll cage perhaps ? :eek:

I stripped out the dash, carpet & seat to get at the heater box & replace leaking a/c evaporator. Which came in handy on our Melbourne cruise today! It was also stripped to a bare shell for painting, and is about to be partly stripped again for painting. You could say she's a stripper :biggrin:

Dippy & NeoNSX were on their bikes today and explained to me that motorcyclists call all cars "Cages".

So are you thinking of putting a cage in your cage?

When i was in high-school, i received a .GIF photo of an Acura NSX. I had no clue what the car was but realize now it was love at first sight. Never looked back since.

.... motorcyclists call all cars "Cages". So are you thinking of putting a cage in your cage?

No, no ... the NSX is currently not destined for such harsh treatment. Although I must admit I have just finished stripping my 968CS and fitting a full roll cage (for Targa Tas coming) .... major job, in time and dollars!

I keep telling myself the NSX is just too good for such excesses ... but I'm secretly keen to hear of anyone who has done it. :cool:

I assume you all know that Greg Crick in an NSX won the first two Targa Tasmania's (92 & 93) but you may not know that Jim Richards came second in 93 in a Porsche 968CS, after he was caught and passed by Crick on the last day ....

... so that's part of the reason I had to have an NSX. The other is it's simply exceptional in all respects :smile:

Last edited:
I got mine because I thought it would be a great chick magnet. Instead it gets the most attention from 15-30yr old males. :mad:

The seating position in the car has got to be the best I have ever experienced. The car felt like it was built around me. I am currently looking for another one or waiting/hoping Honda will build a new one.

I used to own an 89' Acura Legend and it was one of the best built cars, I've ever owned. I thought a sports car made by the same company would have to be great. When I saw the NSX and the high quality ratings from owners, I knew that someday , I'd own one. That someday was last October for me. It's a blast, I love it.

Back