• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What to do??? Stolen hood??

There is someone definatly testing my patience!!I have not "reacted" till now..

1st'-one of my trucks was "tagged" w/ some gang like hyroglifics(cant spell it)
OK so I look at it positivly and say at least it was my oldest van,they didn't steal any of the 40,000.00 in tools and equiptment inside or the the van itself.Slash the tires.ETC,...there are many more I can think of.I let it go somewhat pretty much..

Next-Now this one really bothers me.(A-lot)
Some-one who I was closely aquainted w/ in the Mustang drag racing scene I found out from a "neutral party" who I just met(but feel confident he is not looking to start anything) happened to mention that he heard that my hood(after he heard who I was and had heard of my car) that got stolen is on a close friend of his(my aquaintances) car.These guys are like brothers basically.I went by to confirm this is my hood and it was true "a very uncommon style" and too coincidental has been repainted in hunter green to cover the yellow..All said and done.What would you do????????????
I do not feel physically at a disadvantage (violence doesn't seem like the answer)
Although I have thought of many destructive ways to get revenge all of which would would land me in jail (never been there and dont want to visit)or make me "stoop to his level" either way I'd rather have this done to me than have to do things like that to get ahead.
I'd appreciate some input...

------------------

Part of the taxes you pay goes to fund a part of your local government to enforce laws against things like theft. It's known as a police department. Why not give them a call and let them know that you have located your stolen goods and have them handle it for you?

EDR

But how do you prove it.I dont think he's obligated to scratch the hood and expose the yellow paint under the green paint.I just figured this would be more or less "heresay".No??

------------------

Wow, that really sucks. More proof that we can all be naieve with who we choose as friends. Anyway, I think if you have enough proof that the hood is yours, you can probably legally get it back. Maybe your other "friend" can give you a written statement that he knows that the hood was stolen and in the posession of someone else. If the police don't do anything then a squirt gun full of brake fluid can do wonders to paint.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear about the theft of your hood; however, what does it have to do with the "Technical and D-I-Y" section?

To keep pricks like me happy, shouldn't it be posted to the "Off Topic" section?

No,the hood is off my Mustang drag car.I added up between the hood/paint sponsor decals/mounting etc... It costed me 1,300.00 and thats being conservative,probably like 1,500.00.
I got a suggestion from a close friend it was .Call a cop make a report preferably meet the cop @ the house where the car is parked.Take pictures note the vin # on his car(he still has no idea I know "yet").Make a report with the cop.Call my Pre-paid lawyer and have him draft up a resolve type contract for damages.1300.00-1500.00 to pay within xxx days (30 maybe).Or I will seek restitution 1300.00-1500.00 plus lawyers fees plus etc.etc. and if he loses he could face some legal issues.
What do you think

------------------

Sorry,about the post in the wrong spot I thought I posted it off topic .Maybe someone who's in charge can move it to the appropriate section...

------------------

I had a very similar situation happen to me. Here is what I did after the first thing was stolen. I carefully etched my name in a concealed place on a piece of my property. I then left that piece of property in a place where the culprit would be able to steal it eaisly. I also made sure he knew it was there. I then notified the police when it came up missing. Went to the thief's house with the police to prove it was mine by reveling where the etching was. This in turn proved he was a thief and brought his other lifted possessions under suspicion of the police. I then was able to prove that first item he stole from me was indeed mine. I had already tainted his word and that was enough for the police to make him (in your case remove paint from the hood). As it turned out the guy had hundreds of pieces of stolen property.

The only problem is that this was stolen about a year ago ,and at a shop where most of us dont frequent.Any alterations of that idea possibly..?

------------------

Does he have a receipt for the hood? Does he have a receipt for who painted it? What color was it when the shop painted it? It seems like the police would be interested in breaking up a ring if he's related to one.

Originally posted by MYNSX:
The only problem is that this was stolen about a year ago ,and at a shop where most of us dont frequent.Any alterations of that idea possibly..?

If this happened a year ago there might not be much you can do. I'm not sure on these things but I think for something minor like this, which I know isn't minor for you so sorry, there is a Statute of Limitations (correct?). Never hurts to check with your local PD though. Best of luck.

Small claims @ least in NY is 2 to 2&1/2 years who knows.If they wont do anything I guess I'll have to call TONY NO-NECK to break his thumbs... :)

------------------

Here is what you do. Cut all connections you have with this guy immediately. When you see him on the street, ignore him completely. If he calls out to you, don't even turn your head. Two things will happen. 1) You rid yourself of knowing a thief or 2) He'll come clean with you and ask for your forgiveness. Either way, you win!!! Don't do anything more other than this. That way, your only out a hood and not your peace of mind.

Heres an update .Word got out on the street that I was hot on the heels of these 5 musketeers(of course noone stole it)but they dont want any problems and the current owner of the "stolen hood" called me and said he wants to do what-ever it takes to make things right.
I told him $$$$ within 2 weeks or the price goes up (actually a lot,like quadriple)when my lawyer and the police get involved.He has till the 18th' of this month.

------------------

Drag racers love to boast about their great reflexes...Unscrew the nozzle from your mark's garden hose, walk around to the front of the house, and stick it through the mail slot in the front door, then go back around the side of the house, and turn on the spigot. Of course this is only sporting if your mark is home at the time.

go down to the police station and talk to the people there. Ask for a detective. You can just call them too. If it was my hood, i would have called the police the minute i found out who stole it and where it was! was a police report written for the stolen hood??

I got my hood back.I called him today to pay me and started acting like I was extorting money out of him.I called the police and made the report I should have from the get go.To make the long story short the cop told him after seing my yellow paint partially exposed thru his primer and green paint that he should either pay me or lose in court because "supposedly" he bought it from some guy who he cant remember for 150.00 .Although he'd be willing to pay me 150.00 to compensate me.I told him to go smoke some more crack and before you do "get that hood off your car".He agreed and followed thru w/ delivering the hood to me today at 4pm as planned.Why are people so f#$%$in' stupid in Arizona .Do they actually think they are invisible and or above the law.I dis-like the transient attitude something I hope to never get used to or accept.
Justice was served..

------------------

Back