• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

What's a fair price for this NSX? JH4NA1159MT000598

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4534864140

Just looking for opinions. I'm looking to buy a used NSX with average mileage (not too much, but at the same time not too little). If I buy before the body style was all one color, I want black (don't like the black cockpit w/ the red base), otherwise I would probably go with red. And I only like the seven spoke rims. This car seems to fit most of my criteria and I'm just curious what a fair price is on this model.

I know there are other sources out there that estimate prices such as kelley blue book and even the pricing chart on this site, but that still just gives me a ballpark. Plus, it seems like blue book seems to price these cars lower than what people are selling for. Anyways, just curious what some of the experienced and knowledgeable members of this site would consider a fair price for this car.

jkeen01 said:
If I buy before the body style was all one color, I want black (don't like the black cockpit w/ the red base), otherwise I would probably go with red. And I only like the seven spoke rims.
I think you're using criteria to unnecessarily limit your purchase. For example, you can paint the roof for under $1K, and you can buy a set of seven spoke rims for under $1K. So, you can buy any NSX and make it meet both those criteria by spending under $2K. You'll have a whole lot more selection that way - and you'll probably be able to save that $2K by having a bigger selection and by being able to choose from the less expensive '91-94 models, instead of the '95+ models which have the newer wheels and body-colored roofs, but are more expensive due to the removable roof panel introduced that year.

Incidentally, the wheels on this particular car are aftermarket wheels, not the stock seven-spoke wheels of the '94+ NSX.

jkeen01 said:
I know there are other sources out there that estimate prices such as kelley blue book and even the pricing chart on this site, but that still just gives me a ballpark. Plus, it seems like blue book seems to price these cars lower than what people are selling for. Anyways, just curious what some of the experienced and knowledgeable members of this site would consider a fair price for this car.
Kelley Blue Book tends to undervalue low-production cars like the NSX, and is not a realistic estimate of market values. eBay tends to underbid NSXs, possibly due to perceived risk involved in buying a car sight unseen (as well as scammers). I think the pricing chart on this site is very accurate for the earlier years ('91-96), and slightly overstates values for the later years ('97+) due to declines in value in the past year or two on the newer cars.

Re: What's a fair price for this NSX?

Thanks for the info, someone else mentioned the same thing about just buying any 1991-1994 and just replacing the wheels. I think you're definitely right, although if I could find one w/ the after-market rims I like, it would save me some time and hassle there, although, like you said, I'll have more selection if I'm willing to just buy one and then switch out the rims.

On a side note, those rims make a huge difference. No offense to those who have a 1991-1994 model w/ the stock rims, but I'm not sure what the appeal ever was. IMO they really detract from the overall appearance of the car.

Nsxtasy - would a price of $26-27K seem reasonable for the car I pointed out on ebay?

jkeen01 said:
Thanks for the info, someone else mentioned the same thing about just buying any 1991-1994 and just replacing the wheels.
No offense to those who have a 1991-1994 model w/ the stock rims, but I'm not sure what the appeal ever was.
BTW, the '94 has the seven-spoke wheels you're looking for. I mentioned '95 because that's when all the cars had the color-matched roof that you're also looking for.

jkeen01 said:
Nsxtasy - would a price of $26-27K seem reasonable for the car I pointed out on ebay?
Well... here's how I would evaluate this car:

- Mileage is average (average for NSXs is about 5K miles/year)

- Mods are, at best, neutral in terms of market value. Wheels look nice, may add slightly. Tires are okay, not the best ones around, subtracting slightly. Nice to have an in-dash CD player and nav, but the installation looks pretty hideous (the console looks like a hack job), overall pretty iffy. Basically, seems to be a wash.

- Condition? Don't know.

- Maintenance? Don't know. Car might be overdue for timing belt and water pump replacement ($1200-1500), might be overdue for major service (30K/60K, $800-1000).

- Window regulator status?

- Snap ring status? It almost certainly is NOT in the snap ring range, based on its VIN.

- Has it been inspected by a qualified, experienced NSX mechanic? Probably not. You might want to try calling Falconi Acura and asking the folks in the service department if they're familiar with the car and if they have an opinion on how well it has been taken care of. (Give them the VIN to look up in their computer.) If they aren't familiar with the car, and you're serious about buying it, you might want to arrange with the current owner (a dealer) to take it there for an inspection, which you would pay for (~$200 would be a typical charge).

So what we have is a car of uncertain condition, with unspecified maintenance status, and average mileage. At best, it's probably in the C category in the pricing table, and it could possibly have some major issues to move it to the D category. As you can see from the table, the C category puts it in the $27-30K price range, and the D category brackets the $25K boundary, call it $23-27K. I would guess that IF there are no major issues (e.g. climate control or other imminent repairs needed), and IF the condition is average for that year/mileage, and IF the maintenance is up to date, then it might be worth $28-29K or so, maybe even $29-30K if it comes with complete history and documentation. If the timing belt and water pump and major service all still need to be done, knock that down by $2500, to around $26K or so. So yes, it might be worth $26-27K, but only depending on condition and whether it needs any repairs - which is why you need an in-person inspection, as well as a Carfax.

nsxtasy said:
- Mods are, at best, neutral in terms of market value. Wheels look nice, may add slightly. Tires are okay, not the best ones around, subtracting slightly. Nice to have an in-dash CD player and nav, but the installation looks pretty hideous (the console looks like a hack job), overall pretty iffy. Basically, seems to be a wash.

- Has it been inspected by a qualified, experienced NSX mechanic? Probably not. You might want to try calling Falconi Acura and asking the folks in the service department if they're familiar with the car and if they have an opinion on how well it has been taken care of. (Give them the VIN to look up in their computer.) If they aren't familiar with the car, and you're serious about buying it, you might want to arrange with the current owner (a dealer) to take it there for an inspection, which you would pay for (~$200 would be a typical charge).

So what we have is a car of uncertain condition, with unspecified maintenance status, and average mileage. At best, it's probably in the C category in the pricing table, and it could possibly have some major issues to move it to the D category. As you can see from the table, the C category puts it in the $27-30K price range, and the D category brackets the $25K boundary, call it $23-27K. I would guess that IF there are no major issues (e.g. climate control or other imminent repairs needed), and IF the condition is average for that year/mileage, and IF the maintenance is up to date, then it might be worth $28-29K or so, maybe even $29-30K if it comes with complete history and documentation. If the timing belt and water pump and major service all still need to be done, knock that down by $2500, to around $26K or so. So yes, it might be worth $26-27K, but only depending on condition and whether it needs any repairs - which is why you need an in-person inspection, as well as a Carfax.

Thanks for all of the helpful info. What is the story on the tires - bad tread or just bad overall tire brand/model? I'm certainly no tire expert so your input is appreciated.

Thanks for the reference for a dealer, I was going to ask that question at some point, so you saved me the trouble. If I decide to move forward, I'll need the number, so if you have it available, can you just post it for me. Thanks.

Dealer's asking $27K. I couldn't really tell the quality of the installation of the voice navigation, but honestly, it's not something I really want or need and I'm probably paying more b/c of it. I'd much rather have an upgraded sound system than the navigation.

A board member actually replied to one of my postings with an offer. The board member is Distance Runner and now that I've seen the rims on his, I actually like those (the newest seven spoke version) better than the one on ebay. Got any opinions on his car? He said it is a 91 and only has 21K miles on it and it is not in the snap ring range. Obviously you need a little more info than that to value a car, but I was just wondering your general opinion, since you seem to be the one most likely to reply to my post (16,000 posts - whoa!)

Back