• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's the difference?

Ok, could someone please explain to me what the difference is between a single-pane and a double-pane window? I think my '92 has a double pane, but my boss just got a single pane installed and he wants to switch up. What are the advantage and disadvantages?

All USDM NSX's except the Zanardi have a double-pane window between the passenger compartment and the engine compartment. Between the two panes is a vacuum, for better isolation from engine noise.

Advantages of the double-pane: Quieter. No additional cost. No chance of messing up when replacing the window.

Advantages of the single-pane: Lighter (by 4.2 pounds). Bragging rights.

A pane is a sheet of glass, so a double pane window would have 2 sheets of glass, whereas a single pane would have one. You are talking about cars right, not houses? In cars a double pane would be heavier, but block sound better, the single pane would be lighter but allow more noise to come through. I think the only NSX to come to America with a single pane window was the Zanardi edition. The bulk head window was single pane. If you want to save some pounds (glass is pretty heavy, but we are talking about a small window) and would like/wouldn't mind a little more engine noise, then by all means switch.

The Double pane window also prevents the windows from offing up, due to change in temperature from one side to another. THis is because of the vacuum between the two windows.(Vacuum has poor thermal conductivity)

There's a vaccuum between the panes??????? Must be very small.

------------------
Todd Arnold
NSXotic.gif

http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

There's a vaccuum between the panes???????

Yes. In fact, when the NSX was first introduced, one of the magazine reviews joked that the vacuum was designed to save weight.

Originally posted by Edo:
The Double pane window also prevents the windows from offing up, due to change in temperature from one side to another. THis is because of the vacuum between the two windows.(Vacuum has poor thermal conductivity)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this is similar in concept to the windows on airplanes. You will see it dual-paned, so that the outside cold temperatures will not fog up and obstruct your view.

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
There's a vaccuum between the panes??????? Must be very small.

confused.gif
Where is it? I am having a hard time finding my vacuum, someone must have removed it before I got my car, just like the air compressor. I have some crumbs on the floor that I need to pick up!
biggrin.gif
J/K

Back