• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

wheel off sets

Hi Guys...need some advice....I have after market wheels, in this case 17inch fronts and need a spacer for after market brakes set up of 10mm, to clear....taking the wheel off set at 35mm ....I total 45mm as an off set.....I then was thinking of buying some new wheels with custom off-set available....should I order said 45mm off set???....I have been confused by "Prime" as there is about "positve off-set"....if this is so do I take the 10mm spacer from the 35mm wheel off-set...to leave 25mm off set???.....if so what is the 50mm off set of the OEM wheel etc!!!!!......clear as mud....thats what you get when some bugger sells you wheels and tells you they will fit.....then needs to send you spacers through the post even to clear the standard calipers!!!:frown:

As I posted in that other topic, the NSX (as well as most front wheel drive cars) has positive offset on its wheels, as shown in the diagram below. With positive offset, this means that the higher the number, the more the wheels sit close in towards the car; the lower the number, the more they stick out from the car.

One other point - how far the wheel actually extends depends not only on the offset, but also on the wheel width. For example, if one wheel is 7 inches wide and has an offset of +55, and another wheel is 8 inches wide with the same offset, that means it sticks out by an additional half inch on the outer edge and an additional half inch on the inner edge. Depending on where you have more clearance, when getting a wider wheel, you might want one with a higher number offset (which will use more room on the inside of the wheel well, but not as much on the outside) or - more likely - a lower number offset (which will have the reverse effect).

However, if you're looking at an aftermarket brake setup where the clearances are very tight, you really need to try it out to make sure that the inside of the wheel and the spokes don't interfere with the calipers, or else find someone who is already using those wheels. Numbers alone won't necessarily guarantee clearance. It's just not that simple - sorry!

wheelPositiveOffset.gif

Thanks for the above....the calipers I have on are for testing etc.....would I have more of a choice of wheels if I fitted "nsx-type r" oem kit or again would It all depend on differing factors etc.

rtbm said:
Hi Guys...need some advice....I have after market wheels, in this case 17inch fronts and need a spacer for after market brakes set up of 10mm, to clear....taking the wheel off set at 35mm ....I total 45mm as an off set.....I then was thinking of buying some new wheels with custom off-set available....should I order said 45mm off set???....I have been confused by "Prime" as there is about "positve off-set"....if this is so do I take the 10mm spacer from the 35mm wheel off-set...to leave 25mm off set???.....if so what is the 50mm off set of the OEM wheel etc!!!!!......clear as mud....thats what you get when some bugger sells you wheels and tells you they will fit.....then needs to send you spacers through the post even to clear the standard calipers!!!:frown:

If you have a wheel with an offset of +35 and you add a 10mm spacer, the total offset would actually be +25.

If you plan to have wheels custom made, give them the offset you want (for a 17x8, I'd do a +38offset on the front). Many wheel manufacturers have different wheel "faces" also known as "disk" types that can accomodate BBKs. The disk type will determine how much space there is to clear the brake (they do this by reshaping the spokes and/or using less material around the area the wheel needs to clear the brake while using more material around the hub area). Note the difference between the "R" Disk and the "O" Disk below
main_img.jpg

Back